So played Sekiro for the 1st time yesterday for a number of hours, first thoughts:
* The reviews stating that Sekiro is nothing like a souls game are pretty damn accurate. The combat is fast paced like Bloodborne but also requires a lot of precision and timing. There are also a lot more avenues to go about in terms of killing, it's much more diverse and different situations require different approaches. In many instances I felt like I had to be a lot more covert rather than just facing the enemies head on. Makes each encounter very intriguing and different.
* I absolutely adore the grappling hook and the amount of freedom you get to roam around the world. In Souls games, you were limited really to walking/running and using ladders, you couldn't really jump high or climb ledges let alone fly around like you do in Sekiro. This game completely flips the script on that which is a big reason why you can utilize different methods to kill enemies and get around the world. It's very liberating to say the least.
* Speaking of the world, thus far it's very beautiful in aesthetic and very sparse. Can't wait to explore and discover more. Hopefully the promise of Sekiro being one big world much like the original Dark Souls comes true. You have different merchants in different areas much like the original DS but also a hub much like later renditions, so it combines the two and thus far it works pretty well.
* I'm slowly getting used to the combat but it's going to take time, I was a slow learner for DS and it'll be the same probably here too. I've gotten used to the basics quicker simply because of the experience with previous FromSoftware games but I have a feeling it'll take me longer to master to a good degree.
* Breaking up the areas with mini bosses is an aspect I'm really enjoying as it makes getting through each area even more rewarding. Having said that, these mini bosses are TOUGH.
I think for most of the mini bosses I've utilized stealth where I can (another aspect which is great in this game) to get them down to half health so it's easier to take them down because I'm still bad at deflecting and timing in this game. It took me a while to get through the ones I have, especially ones with other smaller enemies around them.
* The prosthetic tools thus far are cool as well as the skill tree. I've made use of a few of them and I've seen some really cool new moves that I've taken advantage of. Though I haven't gotten that far into customization because obviously I'm not that far into the game. Not missing the leveling system yet but I'll have to see later on.
* I believe I've gotten up to the first two main bosses now, I've seen one at least which I have not properly attempted yet but looks incredibly difficult and pretty unique. It'll be a tough learning curve. The other one I've gotten up to an area which looks like a main boss area where I've had to go through two mini bosses to reach so I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that's a boss too. So getting through those two are going to be my challenges for today.
Thus far I'm loving it, there's other things I want to say but they are more big spoiler type things so I'll tag it under spoiler for those who wish to read at their peril