Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ziggler is the latest to speak out with a veiled criticism of WWE's policy of scripting everyone's promos.
Dolph Ziggler said:
The internet has a different point because they think for some reason I can't talk cause I say show off all the time, to be fair when I get a chance to talk candidly or however I want or how passionate I am about this business I deliver every single time...

...My favorite thing to do is to go on the WWE app. It's not a joke or a plug because you have freedom. It's like the 80's all over again. They say, "hey, you have a match against Luke Harper at the Sportatroium, on December 13th at 7:30 for the USWA title" and you go "got it". They bring you on and you got the bullet points in your head and you have the passion to put over the title, to put over your opponent, to put over how great this match is going to be, how it's going to steal the show, how you're going to walk out of there as the champion, the peoples champion with the title over your shoulder, that's what I love. On the fly, no one can top me. It comes down to a lot of improv. In the ring, obviously it's a television show with a script. Some of us are allowed to deviate from the script and some are not, I am not one of those.
Source: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...h-ziggler-talks-scripted-promos/index-2.shtml

No idea why the company continues with this fucking ridiculous policy.

·
Banned
6,190 Posts
I see people constantly going "___ cut a great promo on the app" about loads of guys. I would really like the whole overscripting thing to just go away. It could also save those moments when someone is cutting an in ring promo and the crowd's just not buying it. Instead of continuing with the script and getting those obnoxious "what" chants or dead silence, they could completely change the promo on the spot and save the segment.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
36,118 Posts
I'm glad Ziggler spoke against this and I'm disappointed that Reigns didn't, but I get it. This is for the people wondering why Ambrose's APP promo was so great and his televised promos are garbage. The APP format should be the STANDARD! I don't know why they're using the excuse that they're worried about what the talent will say on live TV when they upload this shit to youtube anyway. It's a cheap ass cop out.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I see people constantly going "___ cut a great promo on the app" about loads of guys. I would really like the whole overscripting thing to just go away. It could also save those moments when someone is cutting an in ring promo and the crowd's just not buying it. Instead of continuing with the script and getting those obnoxious "what" chants or dead silence, they could completely change the promo on the spot and save the segment.
This isn't the 80's/90's. WWE has lots of green wrestlers that aren't ready for bullet point promos. Plus, WWE's way more........"politically correct" then the past, so they don't want wrestlers saying stupid shit on live TV.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This isn't the 80's/90's. WWE has lots of green wrestlers that aren't ready for bullet point promos. Plus, WWE's way more........"politically correct" then the past, so they don't want wrestlers saying stupid shit on live TV.
You think there weren't green wrestlers in the 80s and 90s? fpalm

·
Premium Member
44,439 Posts
Yeah, Ziggler's not wrong...at all.

One of the main issue with the scripted promos is that the guys are not trained to recite them. They aren't given acting lessons or anything, and what they are saying is not coming from them but from a script they have to memorize.

And then they wonder why guys have trouble conveying their personality to the audience.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
steve austin criticised it like 6 years ago. ziggler hasnt said anything new

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Ziggler's right, scripted promos need to gtfo. They should be given more freedom on the mic, instead of being spoon fed scripted garbage.

60,006 Posts
Yeah, Ziggler's not wrong...at all.

One of the main issue with the scripted promos is that the guys are not trained to recite them. They aren't given acting lessons or anything, and what they are saying is not coming from them but from a script they have to memorize.

And then they wonder why guys have trouble conveying their personality to the audience.
:clap Good answer. WWE needs a little less promos by rote and more heartfelt ones.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
How sad is it when the 20+ writers you pay big bucks to actually make the show worse? There should be a handful of creative team members, and no fucking script writers. Give talent the bullet points and turn them loose.

HHH has said he doesn't do overly scripted promos with his talent in NXT. The only person who seems to be in favor of them is crazy old Vince.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts