Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I am a fan of the story. It's an age old wrestling story. Best friend betrays best friend in pursuit of something greater (a championship, a woman, etc.). But I can see why some people may have some issues.

1. Owens and Zayn have only been in NXT together for two months. Yes, they have been friends and worked together for the past ten years. And yes, NXT has done a great job of explaining their friendship through video packages and interview with Zayn and Owens. But, I can see why fans might not like the fact that has been displayed front and center right off the bat with no real backstory on WWE television to that point.

2. Kevin Owens: Is he really a heel? Yes, he beat up his best friend during his shining moment. Yes, he's acted like a complete dick since R-Evolution. But, what is he doing it all for? Why does he want the title so badly? Out of his own mouth, he says he wants more money and a better life for his wife and two kids. There is nothing really wrong about that. As much as of a dick as this guy has been, at the end of the day he is a family man.

It all goes away from the typical face vs. heel dynamic. Owens is giving us a reason not to boo him even though he still plays the heel character so well.

Again, I'm a big fan of the story. Everything they say sounds true because they really have been friends for years. And they give us in depth stories and reasons that have lead us the point we're at today. But, I can still see fans not liking the story for the reasons I pointed out and more.

Are you fan of the story? Why or why not?

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,551 Posts
I'll be shocked by anyone who isn't. It's the best thing going on the show. The lines aren't blurred at all though. Owens is a clear cut heel. He's blind sided and assaulted people he once called friends over material objects. That's as straightforward as it gets. If he were tweener, he'd take the Reigns approach and call out Zayn to his face after Revolution, while still not giving a fuck what the fans think.

·
C Mac G
6,498 Posts
Yes, it makes total logical sense.

Owens likes Zayn, but his family means more, as it would to most people. He needs the belt to give his family a better life after making pebbles on the indies and not being able to provide for his family like he wanted to for the past 10 years. Zayn is the one that needs to take the fall for Owens to make his life better. That's why in this case, the betrayal makes PERFECT sense.

Owens, while did something dastardly to Zayn, has a reason for doing so, and a believable one at that, almost sympathetic.

The one thing is, even though Zayn is the face, I find myself getting behind Owens because you just have to respect the guy, he's a husband and a father trying to better his family's life, no matter what he does, there is something honorable about that.

It's a really strong feud, I love it.

·
Phantom Thief
17,449 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm not a fan of the storyline as much as I would I hate how rushed this special is. We get no real development for five weeks, and then we just hurry into the title match. Could have been done better.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,744 Posts
Not sure how you could not like the story, unless you are just not a fan of Zayn or Owens at all.

Like others have said its a very basic, straight forward story, with a clear cut heel and clear cut face that actually makes sense.

Mix this with, my assumption, that those 2 will also tell an amazing story in the ring and put on a great match (or matches) you've got a winning feud in my book.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Personally, I'd rather watch a decently-executed feud between two sympathetic, or at least understandable, characters than a brilliantly-executed straight-up face vs. heel feud.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love it. It's simple wrestling. I mean, there is no authority, no bullshit, just two guys fighting. I love it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
100% yes but i wish Wednesday would hurry up

Reactions: Natecore

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
It's alright, a bit too reliant on fans knowing their pre-WWE history. It's not really anyone's fault, definitely not the performers but I would've liked to see some evidence of this 'friendship' rather than just being told that they were friends. If they'd debuted Owens a little earlier and had him as a face for like a month before turning at R-Evolution then it would've been more effective IMO.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
It's the worst out of their history quite honestly. They don't have the time to establish themselves in NXT though. I'm assuming Zayn loses and gets called up.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,551 Posts
It's alright, a bit too reliant on fans knowing their pre-WWE history. It's not really anyone's fault, definitely not the performers but I would've liked to see some evidence of this 'friendship' rather than just being told that they were friends. If they'd debuted Owens a little earlier and had him as a face for like a month before turning at R-Evolution then it would've been more effective IMO.
You know that I, like you, am totally against indy favoritsm, but I don't feel insulted in the slightest by this story. They did a great job of explaining their history with the vignettes leading up to Owens' debut. It's like alright, this guy is bitter because everyone got called up before him. I get it. There was no need for a long elaborate story with unnecessary happy smileyness for us to understand they were once friends.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
You know that I, like you, am totally against indy favoritsm, but I don't feel insulted in the slightest by this story. They did a great job of explaining their history with the vignettes leading up to Owens' debut. It's like alright, this guy is bitter because everyone got called up before him. I get it. There was no need for a long elaborate story with unnecessary happy smileyness for us to understand they were once friends.
I'm not insulted by it, it's just heel turns always work better if you have some attachment to the performer as a face. Like if you saw a random guy get shot in the street and somebody told you that the shooter used to be his best friend you would just be like 'ok', but if it was two guys that you'd known for years then that would be way more impactful. In this case Owens has betrayed Zayn's trust, but I can't hate him for it because I don't know what their relationship was like, I had no investment in that relationship. Like I said, it's not really the performers' fault, just bad timing.

·
C Mac G
6,498 Posts
Did you see the Promo from NXT? They showed pictures of the two when they were early in their careers together.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love it. It's simple but the details the two put into it make it fantastic. Owens is the guy who is coming off as a dick but his motives are strictly to make a better living for his family, which is completely honorable.

And I don't know if anyone noticed this but in the interview package they showed, Zayn said they were on the same path until Kevin got married and had kids, basically saying he would have been here with Sami if he didn't have a personal life and it made me go "what, what a dick".

The stories where you can sympathize with either competitor are what make for the best storylines.

·
C Mac G
6,498 Posts
Also, I think Owens as a character that's portrayed of doing everything he does for his family could get over huge. It doesn't have to be the center focus of all his feuds, but as a lingering back story with his character, I think it can get him a lot of respectability.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
I'll be shocked by anyone who isn't.
Me.

I'm kinda hyped for the match but do I, or should I, give a fuck about a past story from fucking ROH?

I don't give a shit. Honestly I don't understand the hype behind it either. People who watched their rivalry before WWE have seen the matches enough, and they have seen the rivalry unfold over YEARS. Anyone who has seen it before probably would only like to see it because it's in WWE, and to see how differently the matches are compared to the unrestricted matches from their pre-WWE careers.

Anyone who is genuinely hyped for it is the kind of fan that has happily helped turn development into a shitty brand that tries too hard to appease a niche market that WWE could never get without these guys, and it's pathetic that HHH and others are trying so hard to do so, and it's pathetic the fans give in to it so much.

Anyone who is genuinely hyped for it itself, not for it being on WWE TV, didn't fucking see their rivalry take place in real time, and probably didn't even go back to watch it either, so they're just marking blindly because INDIE TALENTS and that is also pathetic.

Yet again I probably have to reiterate I don't hate these guys nor do I even dislike them. In fact I like most.
But if you think about what you read in my posts you'll understand I really despise the change from "developmental" into "niche crowd-appeasing circle-jerk ROH-wannabe show" and the 'fans' that love it so much, push it as the greatest thing, and show disdain or slight dislike for anyone who isn't from the independent scene or Japan, and mark for the guys that were, though most didn't even watch their shit and just mark for them to fit in.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Loving it. I'm surprised Owens is facing Sami so soon though cause I was expected Owens to have a mini-feud with Neville and take him out of NXT for good.

You know what would be sick? If Owens pulled out a Generico mask and revealed that Sami Zayn is indeed El Generico. That'd be awesome but I'm not gonna get hung up on it at all. To be honest, the feud doesn't need that callback at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.