Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I swear about 2 months ago they were doing something with Zack Ryder, he had a great 3 way match for the US title with Miz and Morrison, then he acted face on NXT with his rookie, then...nothing.

I know he will never be main event material but why is he not getting over? Is it his gimmick? It can't be his wrestling or his mic skills cos they are better than a lot, but has he just got that kind of face that you can't take seriously?

I am from England and although his gimmick is very much a USA thing, I like it and I like him. I just hate to see him in matches with Regal and Kozlov etc, Ryder needs a change of direction and needs a chance to shine.

End rant.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
Ryder is a great talent and deserves a push, or at least not a jobber status. Only thing that is keeping me calm atm is the fact that at the age of 25, he has a long, long career ahead of him and if WWE don't release him, he'll finally end up getting at least a chance for a push

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
He'll definitely get somewhere some day, keep in mind the man is only 25, I have been impressed with his work so far, he obviously has bags full of charisma, how many other people could make his ridiculous gimmick work? His ring skills are good aswell (he went along perfectly with Morrison's C4 this past RAW) but I don't think he's had enough time to showcase those skills yet.

I'm sure WWE see the potential in him uswell.

·
CHAIRMAN of WF
2,528 Posts
He has potential to become something.He has the charisma and the ring skills to get somewhere.Now the problem is his gimmick,I don't see that gimmick of his,making him a main eventer,but it probably could take him to mid-carder status.I think in the near future he'll get the push that he deserve.

Plus his theme song is somewhat funny.. ''Oh Radio,tell me everything you know'':lmao

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hard to say. The guy really hasn't done anything since ECW ended, but he could be one Smackdown draft away from getting a potential push.

I do find it telling that he and Curt Hawkins are the same relative spot on the card, even though the latter was gone for over a year.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
He was ruined by the draft. Just like Edge, Jericho and MVP (last year) when they were drafted to RAW.
Um what? How was he ruined by the draft? He had no credibility to begin with. He was just an ECW jobber that has failed on a real brand. How you can compare him to 2 multi time world champs is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I don't believe stereotypical gimmicks (I'm mainly referring to the cheesy ones) work with many superstars in this day and age. In my opinion, you need more of an edgy "cool" gimmick to ever really make it in the long term. Some gimmicks can be safer like John Cena, but it was his original gimmick that really got him over. Ryder's gimmick is only entertaining the minority, and that's a huge problem.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,789 Posts
I swear to God I used to write posts just like several ones in this thread whenever someone asked about Ryder going anywhere. Anyway, yeah, he's only 25, if you look at the subtleties of how he was booked in WWECW, it's clear some people high up in WWE think he has a future... It's just going to be a long road for him. I do agree that it's sad that his fledgling midcard push back when summer was just starting has sputtered out. He should be pushed to being a challenger for the US Title whenever Miz finally drops it to a babyface like Evan Bourne.

Also, he needs that old wrestling gear back. It helped make him distinctive. He has a goofy gimmick, let him keep the goofy apparel. Once he gets a gimmick overhaul, then you can start tinkering with the presentation. Not yet.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I don't believe stereotypical gimmicks (I'm mainly referring to the cheesy ones) work with many superstars in this day and age. In my opinion, you need more of an edgy "cool" gimmick to ever really make it in the long term. Some gimmicks can be safer like John Cena, but it was his original gimmick that really got him over. Ryder's gimmick is only entertaining the minority, and that's a huge problem.
ryder's gimmick IS him in real life.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The guy is good on the mic and good in the ring. With patience and determination he will find his way to at least a midcard title in the next few years.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
i hope so. the dude kicks it hardcore. great on the mic and a superb athlete who can put on some good matches. however, you can never really tell. he could be a great US champion though, could sure be doing more for the title than The Miz. it's not like Ryder has anything else to do at the moment.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts