Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yuke's senior vice president and producer Hiromi Furuta has released an interview to VideoGamesChronicle, announcing that Yuke’s are creating a new wrestling game to compete with WWE 2K20 and the WWE 2K Series.

Yuke’s has been a developer company of WWE Games for over 20 years, before being joined in 2014 by the 2K Studio Visual Concepts. Now, it looks like the two teams are going to split up and create rival wrestling games.
Furuta said that Yuke’s hasn’t been happy with what they achieved in recent WWE games, and are looking to go in a different direction. This will also fill the lack of competition in the wrestling genre, which in her opinion, has been detrimental to the series.

“I think having no competitor isn’t healthy at all. When we had competitors in the wrestling space, we were determined not to lose and that was a great motivator for creating something great. But right now, looking at the market demands, players are expecting something new every time we release a game and we feel like we haven’t achieved what we’ve really wanted to do."
Yuke’s has been the only triple-A developer in the genre since 2006, when AKI Corporation stopped making wrestling games.

“We are aware that our creators are beginning to lose sight of their passion and confidence and becoming focused only on completing assigned tasks. That’s not the direction Yuke’s wants to go in.”

The Yuke's team is working on a brand-new wrestling IP which is on the early stages. As we understand, the new wrestling game in development should still be based on the WWE programming, as Hiromi said: “the new project we have in mind will be the internal competition for WWE.”

They’re also looking to utilize their proprietary motion capture technology, ALiS Zero, which has not been adapted for WWE 2K Games. This new system uses AR cameras to render motion capture performances in real time, and does not require post-production on the data, saving a lot of time in the process.

However, Yuke’s has still not decided the target audience for the game. Furuta said it could go in either a “very realistic” direction or introduce fantasy elements.

“We’re not chasing money or trends. We’ll go in whatever direction we feel is most interesting, combined with the passion of whoever leads the project. As long as whoever leads the project has enough passion, then I’m sure we will achieve our goals."
“In terms of our new wrestling project, there are many experienced creators here in this field so I’m confident it’s going to be an awesome game.”
This can be exciting news for wrestling games fans, as this will mark the first time in almost 15 years where two different IPs of wrestling Games will be competing with each other.

Sounds like 2k gave them the push tbh.

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Except they said it'll likely be another WWE game.

In my head they should work on a WWE management game, separate from the 2k series. People wanted GM mode back? Charge them full price again for the honour. Let's face it they aren't above such tactics. :lmao

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Shout out to those showing DOR some love. Good times man. Please don't go in a realistic direction. That's the exact reason the modern day wrestling games are shit when it pertains to actual gameplay. The 2K games are slow as fuck. We need faster gameplay. In addition that get rid of that kickout meter and reversal limit bullshit.

·
Team AEW
2,805 Posts
If they want to compete than the game should be similar. No fantasy bullshit, nothing like WWE All Stars or anything like that. It should be like Day of Reckoning - really similar to SvR, but still its own game. That's competition.

Anyway, good news, I hope that motivates 2k to do better. Really tired of the same glitches and bullshit in 2k games. I don't even want GM mode, I mean it was cool, I'm fine with it, but I honestly prefer Universe, if done right.

·
The Terminator
471 Posts
Fans just made a dope AF WCW mod out of the old No Mercy on N64 emulator and if they can do that I'd love to see what a major studio could do with a WCW throwback game with a full roster, game modes, story modes, showcase and GM/Universe modes.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This could either be very, very good or deflatingly bad. If they go for an over-stylized look like that All Stars game a while back, it can promptly be forgotten about. Hopefully that's not what they're thinking, because it would be a huge error.
They need to see that there has been a fan clamouring for a resurgence of the No Mercy style of game for over a decade now. But what was it that made that title, and even others of the same vein like WCW vs. The World so appealing?

- No God awful commentary.
- Music during matches. And please, actual video game music. None of this Smackdown vs. Raw era bullshit where they had seven different shades of douche-rock.
- The Spirit Meter was a great addition to that entire roster of games. Call it something else, but bring it back.
- And, most importantly, the more basic graphics meant that it was far easier to create a wrestler you wanted to. In the 2K games if I wanted to create, say, Crush, I'd have to literally measure out the right nose length. But in a simpler-looking game, you don't have that problem. Character creation actually used to be fun.

If they started by taking what Fire Pro Wrestling World did and making it 3D, they'd have a great base to work from.
But that's all hypothetical. I think it's a mobile game. And I don't think we should put much hope in it.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Would love to see a new wrestling game. I hope it's a lot less like what 2K is releasing these days. :lmao

·
Registered
17,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify though. The new game will still be WWE based, and they're still making the 2k games.

·
Rollin' under the melody, Rockin' over the beat
1,463 Posts
While I enjoyed it when each console had an exclusive wrestling game, and I want to be optimistic about this; I can't shake this feeling that this will ultimately be a letdown (though I wouldn't be upset to be proven wrong).

I'd love for there to be another entry in the Day of Reckoning series (considering it's my favorite), but I don't think there is much value in the brand outside of nostalgia.

·
Lurking. Always lurking.
4,724 Posts
I never got to play those games, were they any good?
I didn't play the entire series mind you, just Fight for NY, but that was my fave game for a solid year. Easy but fulfilling mechanics, a bit stone-paper-scissors ish but thoroughly entertaining nonetheless. :positivity

1 - 20 of 27 Posts