Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several threads popping up like "Where would you place ______ in the greatest of all time list". So, what IS your top 30 or so of the last 50 years? (50 years because about 50 years ago is when the WWWF started taking off)

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
Well, in my top ten would be wrestlers like:
-Undertaker
-Austin
-Rock
-HBK
-HHH
-Angle
-Christian
-Benoit
-Lesnar
-Cena

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
i will do top ten of each era:

golden era; bret, flair, piper, randy savage, dibase, dusty rhodes, ultimate warrior, legion of doom, hogan, andre the giant.

attitude era; austin, HBK, undertaker, the rock, HHH, owen hart, kurt angle, kane, vince mcmahon (the austin feud), Stratus

PG era: Edge, Orton, Y2J, Cena, Cm punk, Lesnar, Jeff Hardy, Christian, Batista, Sheamus

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
I haven't been alive for fifty years, much less watching wrestling for as long, so I can only take a very educated guess at the GOATs of the past fifty years.

People I know are in the top thirty:

-Hogan
-Stone Cold
-The Rock
-Ric Flair
-Shawn Michaels
-The Undertaker
-Triple H
-John Cena
-Roddy Piper
-Bruno Sammartino
-Randy Savage
-Bret Hart

I think it's pretty much a matter of fact that no matter your opinion on where exactly they'll go, they'll have a place in the top thirty. There is a long list of other names that could contend for the other twenty-ish spots, and they include but are not limited to: Bob Backlund, Harley Race, Jake Roberts, Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, Ted Dibiase Sr, Harley Race, Sting, Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio, Edge, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat and I know I'm forgetting a bunch of names but yeah.
i will do top ten of each era:

golden era; bret, flair, piper, randy savage, dibase, dusty rhodes, ultimate warrior, legion of doom, hogan, andre the giant.

attitude era; austin, HBK, undertaker, the rock, HHH, owen hart, kurt angle, kane, vince mcmahon (the austin feud), Stratus

PG era: Edge, Orton, Y2J, Cena, Cm punk, Lesnar, Jeff Hardy, Christian, Batista, Sheamus
First off, you're incorrectly putting Lesnar in the PG era list. OP did also say to do of the past fifty years, and you've started in the Golden Era which is only around the 1980s.

Also isn't it a little bit flawed to do a top ten of each era? Number 11 of the attitude era could very well be better than some of them in the PG or golden era list, for example.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Stone Cold Steve Austin
The Undertaker
Triple H
Ric Flair
Chris Jericho
Randy Savage
**** Foley
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Chris Benoit
Kurt Angle
The Rock
John Cena
Randy Orton
Edge

There's 15. I'm too lazy to go through everyone else and double the length of that. Also, I need to go back and watch more matches from the 80's.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Based on in-ring ability:

1. Dean Malenko
2. Chris Benoit
3. Daniel Bryan
4. Verne Gagne (still wrestled matches in his 50s, so he counts)
5. Greg Gagne
6. Steven Regal
7. Bret Hart
8. Dynamite Kid
9. Ricky Steamboat
10. Bruno Sammartino
11. Larry Zbyszko
12. Eddie Guerrero
13. Ric Flair
14. Jushin Liger
15. Scott Steiner
16. Sting (late 80s-early 90s)
17. Nick Bockwinkel
18. HBK
19. Bruiser Brody
20. Ultimo Dragon
21. Rey Mysterio, Jr.
22. Blitzkrieg
23. Bob Backlund
24. Curt Hennig
25. Kurt Angle
26. Stan Hansen
27. Jim Brunzell
28. Harley Race
29. Davey Boy Smith
30. Randy Savage

Very rough draft, put together in about 5 minutes. I didn't include big men as their style of wrestling is very hard to compare to the smaller (by wrestling standards) guys. Thought about excluding the cruisers, but didn't. Excluded Japanese wrestlers with an exception for those who had lengthy successful careers in America, and only included people from major feds, so no indy wrestlers.

The only ones that are in order are #1 and #2, the rest can be jumbled around. If I gave more thought to it, I'd probably replace some of the cruisers with AWA alum.

Based on in-ring ability only because I don't know enough about draws to comment.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Mount Rushmore: Hogan, Undertaker, Rock, Austin
The next tier: Flair, HBK, Triple H, Cena (sadly)
Then a variety of 22 other guys, including the Road Warriors, Sting, Arn Anderson, Kane, Bret Hart, Mr Perfect, Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Andre, Ricky Steamboat, Angle, Jericho, **** Foley, etc

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Top 30 is a massive list in no particular order.

Chris Jericho
Chris Benoit
HBK
HHH
Val Venis
Jeff Hardy
Dvon Dudley
**** Foley
Bubba Ray Dudley
CM Punk
Kurt Angle
Daniel Bryan
Eddie G
Sting
Brett Hart
The Rock
Stone Cold
The Undertaker
Kane
Al Snow
Yokozuna
Rowdy Piper
Rick Rude
Jake The Snake
Savage
RVD
Ricky Steamboat
Razor Ramone
Ken Shamrock
Doink the clown
Brock Lesnar
Edge
Christian

TO be honest that list could go on and on

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't know enough about wrestling to compile a list like that to be honest. I wouldn't even try, but some of the lists here are.... interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts