Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stone Cold once said that if you are not in the business to become the World Champion one day, don't be there at all. Winning the World Title cements your spot on the pinnacle of the industry. It makes you immortal. Ever since the Attitude Era, World Championship reigns have been shorter, and more and more people have been getting a chance with the belt. Of these, which is your favorite?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Well I can only do the one's I saw at the time so this will be 2000 onwards. No Order.

JBL (2004-5)
Eddie Guerrero (2004)
Brock Lesnar (2002)
The Undertaker (2002)
Stone Cold Steve Austin (2001)
Randy Orton (2007-8)
John Cena (2005-6)
CM Punk (2009)
Batista (2010)
Chris Jericho (2008)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Most of the best reigns come prior to the brand split, since the title meant more and reigns were longer. Hogan's original 1984-1988 reign is epic, as is Bret Hart's second (1994) and HBK's first (1996).

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
In no order:

Yokozuna (1993) - WWF Championship
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1998) - WWF Championship
Goldberg (1998) - WCW Heavyweight Championship
Triple H (2000) - WWF Championship
Chris Jericho (2001) - First Ever Undisputed Championship
Undertaker (2002) - Undisputed Championship
Brock Lesnar (2002) - Undisputed Championship
Chris Benoit (2004) - World Heavyweight Championship
Chris Jericho (2008) - World Heavyweight Championship
Batista (2010) - WWE Championship

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Since the Attitude Era? This will be a little hard.

Chronologically:

Champion, Year, Feuds

Brock Lesnar - 2002 (The Rock, Undertaker, Big Show)
Triple H - 2002 (Rob Van Dam, Elimination Chamber)
Eddie Guerrero - 2004 (Lesnar, Angle, JBL)
Batista - 2005 (Triple H, Edge, JBL, Raw/Smackdown, MNM)
John Cena - 2006 (Edge, Triple H, RVD)
Edge - 2006 (Cena)
Randy Orton - 2007 (Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Cena, Triple H)
Batista - 2010 (John Cena)

I don't even have 10. Those are the ones I enjoyed and that stood out. Some are short, others are long.

Bolded my favourite reigns out of the 8.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
My favourite has to be Chris Jericho when he won the first undisputed championship. Because he became such an arrogant, cocky asshole, it was hilarious.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,942 Posts
(1)Triple H(2002-4)
(2)Stone Cold(98)
(3)Kurt Angle(2000)
(4)JBL(2004-5)
(5)Chris Jericho(2001)

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
My favourite of ALL TIME (not just post Attitude era):

01. Brock Lesnar (Summerslam 2002-Survivor Series 2002)

This reign cemented Lesnar's place as the undisputed, ruthless aggressor. He was the Mike Tyson of Wrestling, and this first rookie reign was the icing on the cake. He looked unbeatable. He looked like a champion should look; ferocious, talented, hungry and truly unstoppable.

02. Chris Benoit (Wrestlemania XX-Summerslam 2004)
03. Bret Hart (October 1992-Wrestlemania IX)

Both of these reigns meant a lot to me. Both men had worked hard to get to the top spot and earned their places as the top men in the company. I was 10 when Bret first won the championship and he was my favourite at the time. When he won the championship I was overwhelmed; totally amazed that the right guy had finally got the recognition. I fely exactly the same when Benoit won the gold 12 years later.

04. Randy Savage (Wrestlemania IV-Wrestlemania V)

The 12 month feud with Hogan was the peak of wrestling in the 80s as far as I'm concerned. Savage brought an intensity to his championship reign that was incredible to behold; he guarded his top spot jealously, the same way that he was with Elizabeth. Savage was a total wrestling God - a fucking genius!

05. Chris Jericho (Vengeance 2001-Wrestlemania XVIII)

It was brilliant, wasn't it!? He beat Steve Austin and The Rock ON THE SAME NIGHT and then carried the gold all the way to Wrestlemania. I always loved Jericho and this reign was (like Bret & Benoit) a talented performer being rewarded. The fact that he was the first Undisputed champion was a real feat!

06. Eddie Guerrero (No Wat Out 2005 - Great American Bash 2005)

The guy was a legend and EVERYBODY was chuffed to bits when he won the title. I never really expected it. It reminded me of Mick Foley's first championship win. The guy didn't hold the title long, and he lost it in a really shit way, but the win was phenomenal. I was over the moon!

07. Bret Hart (Wrestlemania X-Survivor Series 1994)

A year after losing it to that cheating fuck, Bret regains the gold in epic style! Raised on the shoulders oof his peers, the ovation was incredible. It felt like the title was back where it belonged. Wrestlemania moments don't come much better, as far as I'm concerned. Damn, I miss those days!

08. Steve Austin (Wrestlemania XIV-King of The Ring)

Who wasn't excited. It was a great time to be a wrestling fan! I loved the HBK/Austin match at the time - it felt like Warrior/Hogan to me - and remember thinking, "this is the start of a new era". It was. It was awesome.

09. John Cena (Wrestlemania XXI-New Years Revolution)

OK- it was quite a long reign; it was frustrating by the end and we all turned on him. However, I quite enjoyed the reign (at first) because it seemed like the start of something. The build up was great, it ended the awful JBL reign and he defended the gold against some pretty great performers. Not all of the matches were great, but there were some great moments and, to be honest, I took great pleasure in the fans turning on Cena. The more they booed, the longer I wanted the reign to last!

10. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania XI-Survivor Series 1996)

Some brilliant matches. I was a big HBK mark at the time and totally loved the reign. HBK really wanted to excell in the role of champion and put everything he had into every match.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Well I can only do the one's I saw at the time so this will be 2000 onwards. No Order.

JBL (2004-5)
Eddie Guerrero (2004)
Brock Lesnar (2002)
The Undertaker (2002)
Randy Orton (2007-8)
John Cena (2005-6)
CM Punk (2009)
Batista (2010)
Chris Jericho (2008)
Very good list, but the only thing I would change is Batista's 2010 one for Triple H's 2004 one in Evolution.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
1. Bret Hart (1994)
2. Brock Lesnar (2002)
3. Chris Jericho (2001)
4. Triple H (2000)
5. Shawn Michaels (1996)
6. Steve Austin (1998)
7. Eddie Guerrero (2005)
8. Chris Benoit (2004)
9. Randy Savage (1988)
10. Ultimate Warrior (1990)

Not going off past the Attitude Era reigns. Just going off all-time and this list is in no order.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Eddie Guerrero (2004)
Brock Lesnar (2002)
The Undertaker (2002)
Randy Orton (2007-8)
John Cena (2005-6)
CM Punk (2009)
Chris Jericho (2008)
This with a little change for me. Replaced Batista 2010 with Randy Orton (2004) (I know it is kind of a stupid reign , but I listed it simply because what happened on Raw after and during that short and epic reign)

I'd say Orton and HHH can create a pretty good feud. Their feuds have charisma and heat.

·
2,775 Posts
In no particular order:

JBL (2004-5)
Eddie Guerrero (2004)
Brock Lesnar (2002)
Chris Jericho (2001)
Chris Jericho (2008)
Triple H (2000)
Chris Benoit (2004)
CM Punk (2009)
The Undertaker (2002)

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
(in no order)

The Rock (June - October 2000)
Chris Jericho (September - November 2008) and I know it was two separate runs but they were separated by eight days.
Edge (January 2006)
Randy Orton (October 2007 - April 2008)
Triple H (January - April 2000)
Chris Benoit (March - August 2004)
Edge (July - September 2006)
Brock Lesnar (August - November 2002)
Stone Cold (March - May 1999)
Edge (December 2007 - April 2008)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I don't really have any specific reigns, more periods than reigns.

My favourite is probably Jericho's two runs as World Champion in 2008, I sort of count it as one because there's 8 days between them both.

Edge in 2006, his first two runs were fantastic. Probably Edge's best work of his career.

I loved Rock's 1999 Corporate Champ reign, very underrated in my view. I highly enjoyed his face reigns in 2001 as well.

Eddie Guerrero's and Benoit's reigns were great, just for the fact that they'd finally achieved their life long dream and it was so great to see them with a World title around their waist.

One reign I can't stand and don't know why it gets so much love is JBL's reign. I thought it was awful. Sure it was interesting when he first won it off Eddie, to watch this new Bradshow blossom into something we'd never seen before but then it got so tedious. He began fueding with Taker that included Heidenreich in the mix.. Urgh. Then feuded with the Big Show and Angle and then finally John Cena, which turned out to be one of the worst Wrestlemania main events in recent history.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
1 ~ JBL (2004)
2 ~ Austin's reigns.....any of them, except his heel run.
3 ~ Chris Jericho (2008)
4 ~ CM Punk (2009)

I don't really have many others.

One reign I can't stand and don't know why it gets so much love is JBL's reign.
Probably because he cut about 3 million amazing promos.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.