Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently watched the Road Warriors documentary and Paul Ellering really caught my eye. He had a unique look and seemed to be great on the mic. It's a shame he got injured so badly he couldn't continue to wrestle himself and had to become a manager. What do the old school wrestling fans here think of Ellering? I'm curious.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I think he was cool as fuck. Haven't seen him in the ring (unless you count a 2 minute hair match with Teddy Long in WCW) , but he could go on the mic. We miss managers like him. He should come back like Zeb Coulter has.

·
Registered
62 Posts
recently watched a couple of his matches and of course had no idea he was a powerhouse wrestler before a manager...as a kid, I only knew the manager side. Always thought he was cool, but that might be mostly because I loved the Road Warriors. I did have to laugh, though, when I fairly recently watched him on some old Georgia Championship Wrestling youtube vids and heard him repeatedly refer to his group as the "LegionED of Doom"

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
I don't remember much about him if I'm completely honest, other than his little run with Legion Of Doom with Rocko, which from this I thought he was great.

I don't have any stand out memories of him other than him being there, but I know that from what I did see, the guy was cool.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Wasn't a fan. Can't understand why he was kept around for so long. Don't think he added anything to Road Warriors/LOD. He was just some goof standing there reading a newspaper. I guess he did more than Jose Lothario, but not much more. Plus he didn't have the right look for a manager.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I understand he was legit the road warriors manager as well as kayfabe but in terms of kayfabe I never thought he added much. Would rather they just gave the mic to Hawk, ever cared what he had to say. That said I never so a huge amount of him so he may have done a lot better in the territory days

·
The legend never dies
4,358 Posts
Seemed legit, and was a cool dude made the road warriors look even more bad ass my opinion great manager for LOD

·
Registered
844 Posts
He had a cool look for a manager and he just always seemed like a bad ass to me. I guess he kind of fit with the Road Warriors. They were a cool team and they should have a cool manager but at the same time the Road Warriors really didn't need him. The Road Warriors didn't really need a mouthpiece, imo. They were both solid enough on the mic on their own. I don't think Ellering added much to them because they didn't need him.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
He had a cool look for a manager and he just always seemed like a bad ass to me. I guess he kind of fit with the Road Warriors. They were a cool team and they should have a cool manager but at the same time the Road Warriors really didn't need him. The Road Warriors didn't really need a mouthpiece, imo. They were both solid enough on the mic on their own. I don't think Ellering added much to them because they didn't need him.
Paul Ellering worked very well as the manager of the Road Warriors because he gave the impression that he had just enough control over them. When I watched them growing up, I thought of Ellering almost like a puppet master, controlling the strings of Hawk and Animal just enough that he kept them focused on the job at hand which was to dismantle their opponents. It was as if he was saying that if he wasn't there the carnage would be that much worse.

No, the Warriors didn't need Ellering like, for example, the Midnight Express needed Jim Cornette or Kamala needed General Skandor Akbar. But, Ellering provided enough focus and was great on the mic enough that it did work out.

Besides, Ellering actually worked out well managing other wrestlers besides the LOD. I remember some of his promos when he managed Buzz Sawyer during his feud with Tommy Rich. Also, he had this angle once where he had a hypnotic control over Arn Anderson, and that led to some great matches with Arn and Paul vs. Ole Anderson and Stan Hansen.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
He had a good look that was fitting for the manager of LOD. As the above poster mentioned, Ellering was like the puppet master that kept these hulking, painted up warriors on track. He was ok as a wrestler, nothing special in my opinion. Overall, I'd say Ellering was good

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
I wasn't around in the 80s so my only exposure to Ellering as the LOD manager was that usueless stint he did in 1998 when he turned on them to join fucking DOA of all teams. I think he was a good fit for them from the stuff Ive seen of The Road Warriors from the 80s.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,234 Posts
Ellering was also very good in the ring.

Obviously at his best in AWA and NWA especially NWA Georgia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts