Wrestling Forum banner

Your take on Sting in WWE.

• I respect it, hope he keeps to his word.

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • I respected it, but hold nothing against him if he shows up now.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • I disrespect him for it, he could've continued to build his legacy in the top company.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I couldn't care less, I just want Sting in WWE right now!

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Other, please state.

Votes: 7 7.6%

Your take on Sting's personal policy of not working with WWE.

3758 Views 29 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  McQueen
What's your take on Sting choosing not to work with WWE and Vince McMahon during and after the invasion era?
Personally I have never agreed with it and feel he should've moved on to WWE, the invasion angle wasn't as potent as it could've been because of guys like Sting.

Sting has been documented and quoted saying the reason he didn't choose to jump over to WWE after wCw shut down was he saw how Booker T's debut was treated. Booker T at the time was considered wCw's next best thing to hit the main event, he was the current wCw champion and had numerous title runs under his belt. The Rock was cutting a promo in the ring when Booker T interrupts, The Rock basically belittles him as if to say "who the hell is this guy?". That's what Sting didn't like and said he didn't feel like burying himself.

Now I don't think Sting would've been buried, the real, immovable main event objects such as Goldberg, Nash and Hogan were never belittled, and instead were portrayed extremely strongly. Nash was treated extremely well considering Scott Hall and Sean Waltman screwed up backstage, and the long and short-term injuries Nash picked up while with WWE could've easily seen him let go by the company who instead chose to keep him on the payroll and even propel him into the world title scene on return.

Stings explanation on not coming to WWE:

I think Sting would've been booked the same, incredibly strongly, maybe even as the guy for wCw, we've missed out on so many memorable matches, Rock vs Sting, Austin vs Sting, HHH vs Sting, the fabled Undertaker vs Sting. All could've happened had Sting chose to move to WWE. And for that I will always hold somewhat of a personal grudge towards Sting. It's a very small possibility we're going to see Sting in a WWE ring in the next 6 months, but what we would get is but a shadow of the man we could've seen in the early 2000's.

So my question to you, how do you feel about never seeing Sting on WWE programming, do you agree with his reason for not showing up? With this recent promo, there's an extremely small chance we may see Sting in a WWE ring. Would you want to see him now?
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
To be honest, after the WCW buy out, I don't think Sting had any reason to not work for WWE, other than just not being able to come to terms on a deal. Also I think it was a time in his life he wanted a break from wrestling and focus on his growing family. I think it was more of a timing thing than anything. Nothing that Sting would have against WWE or Vince personally. I think he's stated this many times being friends with Vince and talking about coming to WWE a few different times. He's not opposed to it.

So I have no problem with what he wants to do with going or not.

· Registered
10,207 Posts
It's almost better that he didn't go to WWE right after WCW, but I do think if he has decided to come to the WWE, it would have been so much better in he had come in 2007/2008, both him and Taker were in a lot better shape then they're in nowadays and would have produced the same level of quality storyline but they would have had a better match.

· Registered
3 Posts
Okay, here's the deal.

I have been a HUGE Sting fan since I was three years old. Sting's words about how he would be used and how things were back then? They don't matter now. Did he say he would NEVER work for the WWE? No! In fact, I believe he's said the opposite every time someone asked him about it.

(The only thing for sure about Sting, is nothing's for sure.)

Sting is an ICON. Not just in WCW, or TNA, but in WRESTLING. That includes WWE, ROH, Chikara, NJPW, and anywhere where there is scripted fighting even when it comes to Hollywood. (He's had several non-huge roles but people still know who he is.)

The playing field of wrestling changed in 2006 when Vince Russo was brought back in to book TNA. Sting came in hoping that TNA would continue it's Joe Vs. Daniels Vs. Styles kind of feuds, and continue to build new stars, and he hoped he could step away. Dixie kept bringing him back with promises of big storylines involving him and other members that he could help elevate. (AJ, Abyss, Joe, Ect.)

But it seems to me, in every story, TNA screwed it up. (Duh.) TNA has gone down the road of being almost an R-ish rated show at times. And Steve is very obviously against that. (He's even said so in interviews the same thing about WWE when they were more adult.)

WWE has taken a SERIOUS turn with their PG programming. Some like it, some hate it. I personally think the problem is that theres so little character development in WWE right now, and people think that slapping a crown on someone is going to give them a personality. (Cough. Sheamus.) Sting, and Undertaker, and Micheals and so many others got over through living and learning. Almost none of the new stars in WWE LEARN from their mistakes anymore. But I'm getting off topic...

If Sting goes to WWE now, it wouldn't be like him going at any time in the past. It would be Sting in 2011 doing the LAST thing he's never done! And that's all he wants to do. Put that final notch in his belt.

I WANT to see my favorite in a story and spotlight that doesn't involve main event mafias, or stupid STUPID Karen freakin' Jarrett/Angle and restraining orders!

I guess I'll leave you with this - If Sting goes to WWE, it's not because Sting changed his mind. It's because the WWE has changed itself.

· Registered
22,340 Posts
If Sting doesn't want to/didn't want to work for WWE, then why should I care? Sure, maybe his fans might be upset at him not coming over, but its his decision. No doubt he can afford to never work again, so money isn't an issue, and if he thinks they will use him worse than TNA or something they he just doesn't need to go there.

His life, his career, he can do what he wants.

· Masonic!
1,577 Posts
My thoughts on Sting's personal policy from like 10 years ago?

Valid, all the big WCW guys (ironicly other than Booker T) left WWE worse than when they came in.

I don't think Sting should have a ny of these worries and he can negotiate his contract so that these worries are irrelevant. WWE would put Sting vs taker in the Main event of Wrestlemania, it would be as back and fourth battle, and I don't think Sting would come out of it with is aura tanished at all. He could be the cloest man to come to defeating 'Taker at Mania or even defeat him and then have it over turned and the match continued.

· What?
25,591 Posts
There is nothing I'd rather see than Sting come to the WWE tbh. Just once.

Fortunately Vince and Sting have always been on great terms. Sting is a really down to earth guy and Vince as you know is always open to anything if it means it's good for business. So I maintain that it could happen one day.

And if you look at the current state of the WWE's talent, it's not necessarily bad, it's just... Young? The veterans are starting to retire or lower their activity and they could use a solid main-eventer to raise up the younger talent. Sting seems like a guy who doesn't have a massive ego and would really do so well for their company and their direction.

If they also took his advice creatively and let him work with them in terms of angles then it'd be even better.

I live in hope of a CM Punk/Sting angle.

· Masonic!
1,577 Posts
It means shit if he shows up now.
No, it wasn't an oath, it was a fear of his aura and legacy being ruined.

That is not the case or relevant now days. WCW is along gone, Vince would do nothing more than make Sting seem like the greatest thing around. Even if for some grudge holding reason, Vince didn't want to, he would have to for the sake of 'Mania. Vince would want Sting to seem like a god stepping into WWE to clash with his Devil (The Undertaker).

If Sting no longer has this fear (which I don't think is that reasonable to have anymore) then there is no reason that he shouldn't step into WWE.

TNA is doing way more damage to the legacy of Sting than WWE ever would. TNA isn't WCW, Sting might be in the number 2 company, but that is a huge gap between one and two. He is a mega-star who could be the biggest thing around if he went to WWE. He could have his last great match infront of a HUGE crowd with a big epic battle type of feel.

Or he could just fight Angle infront of a couple of thousand people then go away with hardly anyone knowing.

Main event at Mania with Taker, Millions watching, huge match that will be remembered as the most iconic match of this era of wrestling. Hall of Fame this year or next. A "best of DVD", A legend in WWE videogames. Sting would become relevant again in a huge way and it is NOT somthing TNA can do for him.

· Registered
4,666 Posts
Stupid. He should have joined in 1994. Hogan is a cancer on the career of Steve Borden.
Yeah, cause Hogan and Sting wasn't a headline match on WCW's biggest PPV of the year. In fact, at that same time, WWE's December PPV In Your House DX was one of the lowest buyrates of all time (and lowest at that time). this was also the time WWE was is serious trouble and, as seen in documentaries, was a time where it was considered WWE would go out of business.

Any top guy that jumped from WCW to WWE (Goldberg, Steiner, the N.W.O.) were made terrible. Sting would have been the same case.

I respect Sting's decision to not be WWE because he said he wouldn't and very rarely do wrestlers keep their promoise (ie: Ric Flair, Bret Hart, and honestly the list is probably never ending)

And I should get an additional 50 dollars for proving you wrong.

I respect Sting for keeping his word, rather than saying the worst things about the company and then coming in due to the need for money.

A wrestler keeping to what he said...... it's admirable.

· Banned
4,446 Posts
Who cares. He's a Bo$$ in the industry. He'll do what he wants to do when he wants to do it. Why on earth would I ever hate on a guy who didn't want to come to the WWE to get buried like all the other ECW and WCW talent?

· Registered
52 Posts
I can see what the OP is saying, but you take some of his examples of guys who came in and did well in the WWF after WCW folded (Hogan, Goldberg, and Nash.)

Although I would like to believe that Hogan and Nash can attribute their success because they had prior history with the WWF, Hogan being the person who basically helped create the (National) WWF and then there was Nash who had his buddies in the Kliq to back him up. As far as Goldberg goes, well that was actually surprising that Vince kept him in the spotlight.

But the biggest thing that the OP failed to mention is, they all came AFTER the invasion angle. Had Sting came in during the initial Invasion angle run, he would have taken the path of Dusty Rhodes, Terry Taylor, RVD, and Ron Garvin as opposed to Nash, Hogan, Flair and Goldberg.

I mean look at the biggest WCW stars at the time. It was all about Booker and DDP at the end of WCW. But they just trashed DDP. He was pretty much run over by the Undertaker. Booker had some spotlight initially, but was eventually constantly beaten by the Rock. Sting would have probably followed at that time JUST to make the WWF look strong. They probably would have put him up against Austin or Angle at the time and have either one of them dominate Sting no matter what.

So you can't really blame Sting for not wating any part of the WWF in 2001. Now had he come in around 2002 or 2003, that might have been a completely different story.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Well it looks like I'm the minority here. I personally view it as pure cowardice myself.

I think the real reason Sting never went to work for WWE was because he witnessed just how lackluster both Flair and Luger's WWE runs were in the early to mid 90's and I think that scared him into staying in his comfort zone ie WCW.

· Registered
104 Posts
I went for the 'I respected it, but hold nothing against him if he shows up now' option.

A lot of what everybody has said here makes sense. It could be all or some of the reasons mentioned.

It is good that Sting holds on to his principles and while this would be all fine back in the late 80s, early 90s and even when WCW had collapsed, isn't he getting a bit old for worrying about the direction of his character and his legacy? He's starting to become like Ultimate Warrior's quieter but similar brother (which seems ironic seeing as they tagged with each other as The Bladerunners prior to their successes).

At this late stage in Sting's career, I don't think one match at Wrestlemania is going to affect his 'legacy' one way or the other. I believe it can only enhance it if he is booked right because I have always felt Sting was just a big fish in a small pond even when WCW was at it's height.

The only way Vince could really screw it up for Sting is if he makes him wear a polka dot leotard like he made poor Dusty Rhodes wear in the late 80s...

· Registered
317 Posts
Of course it was his prerogative that he decided to stay out, and I guess he had legitimate reasons regarding his booking and the schedule that was expected from him...though I wonder if it would have been more interesting if WCW superstars were treated better in the invasion storyline - as he has been known to mention that there was something about Rock's comment of 'who are you' to Booker T that made him feel indignant. Anyway, I digress.

On the plus side, him having refused multiple opportunities to join just adds to the hype about him being the 'greatest wrestler never to step in a WWE ring' and makes a possible debut very intriguing.

But on the other hand, I think he has done both wrestling fans and his own legacy a little bit of injustice. A bit like Diesel and Booker now, he would have got a much better reaction from the fans all this time if he joined WWE instead of trying to carry TNA. It's still not to late, but at age 51, time is running out fast for Steve Borden to put pen on paper and sign that contract. It's now or never really.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
He chose to resign with WCW in 1994, which may or may not have been the correct decision. He re-signed with WCW in 1997 because he was in the middle of one of the hottest storylines ever and WCW was so popular. Eric was paying him 1.5 million to sit at home, which sure as hell wouldn't.

There was no way he would join WWF in 1999 or 2000 due to the controversial aspect of Raw and because he was tied to Time Warner. He thought about joining in 2001, but everybody could see the angle had been botched. He would also have to work a fulltime schedule at over 40 years old, after working a lesser schedule in WCW for years. Also, the promotion was still extremely controversial until at least the mid-noughties.

Joining TNA was a smart move. He would work 25 matches at the most, got paid 500,000 dollars and could help an upcoming promotion. Most importantly he kept his name relevant to the extent of TNA's exposure.

It is now or never concerning whether he signs with Vince. He doesn't have to work a fulltime schedule do the legends contract. He can earn in excess of seven figures from a DVD, action figure range and WM payday. There are other lucrative options such as his Madison Square Garden debut. This scenerio means both Steve and Vince will want to keep his character strong.

· "Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,934 Posts
I chose other because there was no "I respect it, but I don't care what he does" option.

I can respect that as a man he said I'm not going there, but I really don't care if he shows up or not. Like I said in another thread, I would like to see the build for a match with him and Taker, and it would be something to see him in WWE, but whether he sticks to his policy or not is of no concern to me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.