Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aka:

"I used to love ______ but now I'm of the opinion that ______ sucks green donkey lung, DADDY!"

or

"I use think ______ sucked the fat one but I've since changed my mind and come to the conclusion ______ in fact rules the motherfucking earth, JACK!"

Doesn't have to be as extreme of lewd as that, but you get the point. Doesn't even have to be something you used to dislike/hate that you now think the opposite of. Just any view you had set in your mind about a promotion, wrestler, whatever, that's now changed.

For me the whole US indy style was something I was into 3, 4 years ago, but now... no, sir. There's only so much I can take before I throw my hands up. I get why people love it and all that and this isn't me coming in here to troll fans of 2.9999 kick-outs and MOVES~, but yeah, current US indy wrestling does nothing for me half the time and flat out annoys the shit out of me the other half. Once in a while there'll be something I dig, but it's really rare now. Although I'd probably like most of the ROH stuff that I liked pre-'07 were I to watch it all again.

On the other side of the scale, my opinion of Genichiro Tenryu has changed over the last year or so, specifically in the last 4 or 5 months. I've always been a guy that's thought Tenryu was really good, but I never would've called him one of my favourites. Now I don't think I could come up with 3 guys I'd put ahead of him on a "favourites" list, and I honestly think he's got a legit GOAT case. Dude I buy a ton of wrestling footage from is planning on releasing a huge Tenryu comp any day now and I could not be any more stoked about that.

There are also guys I probably thought sucked, say, 7 years ago that I'd think are somewhere between good and really good now... I'll bring them up if I can think of any.

So, what have y'all got?

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Kurt Angle to some extent. At this point im pretty sure even Mae Young has kicked out of an Angle Slam off the top of a ladder. Twice

Seriously, chill the fuck out. Just using 70million finishers and kickouts per match, not to mention random suplexes, doesnt make it EPIC or AWESOME. It just comes off looking dumb.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't stomach Angle at this point, but I haven't been able to stomach him for years now and I've personally gone on about him on this board enough in the past, anyway. You couldn't pay me to watching pretty much anything he's involved in post-2002, and even that's being generous.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I used to think Ric Flair was a crazy old man who probably cleaned Triple H's car or something.

Now I think hes the greatest of all time.

Its a minor transition.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I used to intensely dislike Chris Hero. Couldn't see anything in him. Then at some point he became quite literally awesome, and one of my favourite workers around. Everything about him has improved a huge amount.

This is over a period of many, many years, of course.

·
Custom User Title
15,239 Posts
I'll keep this to after I learnt what kayfabe meant, since I could post how I didn't like heels and all that;

Used to dislike Finlay and Bob Backlund. I wasn't exactly on an opinion of them being crap wrestlers or anything, but they annoyed me and nothign they did interested me. That was years ago, though, now they're two of my absolute favourites in eveRZ.

I've really warmed up to CM Punk and John Cena but I can't say I really get excited checking out anything they're in. I used to have an "I can't stand them" thing with them but now I'm more like "I donlt mind them and they can be great".

Vader, Vader, Vader. I was always "high" on the guy from the get-go but over the last year he's almost my favourite wrestler ever.

I liked Ultimate Warrior at one point. Now I think he's a scummy piece of crap. Same for Angle but instead of thinking he's scum I just think he pretty much sucks. Or is at least average.

I've been really down on Owen hart, Curt Hennig, Brian Pillman, Dean Malenko, Ultimo Dragon, Bret Hart for a while. I don't think they're bad or anything close to it but I don't think they're really the greatest of all time calibre I thought they were 18 months ago and I haven't been bothered checking any of their stuff. Malenko could be called bad and I wouldn't disagree, though, he's like a 70s wrestler who doesn't even use the moves well.

Recently got into puro of the last decade. They're no glory days or anything but there's more great stuff than I could've hoped for.

Gotten into JBL lately. Not gonna say he's on Pillman/Hart level or anything but he's great as a big sack of evil.

I used to worship the type of wrestling a Malenko/Guerrero or Owen/Bulldog (Raw in Germany) match would produce, now I'm more of a guy who loves watching a monster heel make children cry in the audience while he pounds on their hero so the hero can comeback.

Shinya fuckin' Hashimoto. Never disliked him or even thought he was below "good" but I can plummet through a ton of his stuff easy now. Prefer him to a guy like Kobashi by a mile. Tenryu as well but I've been watching more Hash than him atm.

Could go on if I remembered more.

·
CM Punk's Wife!
1,073 Posts
Kurt Angle to some extent. At this point im pretty sure even Mae Young has kicked out of an Angle Slam off the top of a ladder. Twice

Seriously, chill the fuck out. Just using 70million finishers and kickouts per match, not to mention random suplexes, doesnt make it EPIC or AWESOME. It just comes off looking dumb.
Definitely agree on this! He was good when he had Pat Patterson laying out his matches for him but once he started buying his own hype and trying to lay out the matches on his own he got beyond horrible, he seriously has no idea how to have a good match without a gajillion finisher kick outs at the end.

I used to think Gabe was the best booker ever but now I think he's some fat bitter loser who just got lucky that he was at the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I used to watch WWE. Now I don't. That may have been more me being sick of getting sick of being let down time and time again, because I can barely remember actually liking WWE after learning what kayfabe was.

I used to think some styles, promotions, wrestlers, etc. were inherently "better" than others because they did a certain style of wrestling. Now my favorite wrestling is the kind that I can enjoy watching. I don't think there has to be any set criteria for what makes a match "good". If you can explain why you like it, then that's fine.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
:lmao I saw the thread title and immediately thought that you made it Andy :p. Anything I can think of for this would probably be in some way attributed to you. Bastard. If I stuck to what I used to like I wouldn't have spent so much money on damn wrestling DVD's.

I'll start off with an obvious one; Kurt Angle. Love his work from 00/01, and I used to love his work after that, but now unless he's facing someone who has any concept of storytelling then he just falls flat on his arse. MOVES~! just don't do much for me these days unless they have a reason.

The Undertaker is always someone I have loved, but it wasn't until the last few years when I considered him a legit top 10 ever for being an actual worker rather than just having an awesome gimmick and chokeslamming bitches.

Until I got the Texas set (which I'm selling right now!!!), I had zero interest in the Von Erich family or the Freebirds. I never disliked them or anything, but I never had any motivation to watch anything with them. First disc of the Texas set out of the way, and now I'd probably cream over some obscure Terry Gordy match.

And lastly (because I'm tired and cba thinking of more shit), even though I've always kinda liked it but not realised, I'd much rather watch a match where they do very little but have a wonderful story than a match with great atmosphere and lots of wrestling. Take the Orton/Cena match for instance. Summerslam 07 is always brought up as being their best match by most people, but I think it sucks balls. No Way Out 08 on the other hand is a work of art. Plus it actually has the great atmosphere that pushes it over the edge.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I used to think TNA (02-05) was goin places now I'm waitin for it 2 fold. ROH was the best indy promotion until Gabe left for DGUSA now DRagon Gate USA is the best indy promotion.

·
Pico pal q lee
3,115 Posts
For the longest time I wasn't interested in "old school" wrestling (70's-80's) but as time went on and I watched tons of wrestling from diferent places and eras, I started to understand and aprecciate the amazing things that were taking place 30 years ago. In the last couple of years my opinion on A LOT of different wrestlers has changed (specially guys like Jerry Lawler, Sgt. Slaughter and God Backlund).

·
ゴゴゴゴゴゴ&#
3,168 Posts
Was a Cena hater back at 07, had a change of heart a year later and I started to respect what he's doing.

Thought TNA was the best promotion ever in 2006, not so much anymore LOL

Never cared for ROH until I started to watch ROH on HDnet and their iPPVs. Now I think it's great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Used to think Misawa was overrated until i saw his younger stuff. People still overrated him though when he was passed his prime.
I used to like Cena.
I used to think WWE was the best company in the states
I used to think wrestling companies would change their practices to accomodate my tastes.
I used to think that Hulk hogan and Eric Bischoff were the answer to TNA

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
- I used to be a huge ROH/PWG fan in from 2004 to mid 2007. around mid 2007 i stopped buying dvds but still watched both promotions.
A combination of uninteresting storylines, low match quality, favorite wrestlers leaving and uninteresting wrestlers has left
with a very low opinion on both companies these days.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used to hate Davey Richards as a KENTA wanna-be who just tried too hard, randomly screamed, and was the new 'next big thing' because Gabe wanted him to be. Then he fashioned this babyface gimmick of the man too stupid to quit even if he's dead and suddenly became awesome.

I used to think that Gabe Sapolsky was a genius. Nowadays I'm kind of embarrassed by that.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Chris Hero going from being a twat in a rubber suit to the best wrestler in the world made me a huge fan. I think the Hardys are garbage. I marked for them before I reached the age of reason, I actually thought they were good.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How are the Hardys garbage? In singles or in tags?

Jeff's not someone I care for in singles, but Matt was one of the most consistently good mid-carders of the last decade. He's batshit crazy and deteriorated physically now, but before that he was nowhere near garbage as a singles guy.

All the TLC matches seem to have given them this stigma of a spot show team too, which is unfortunate because they're a great "traditional" babyface team when they're working a regular tag match free from all the props. Even before they went to the WWF they were a terrific southern style team. Those guys know how to work a fucking boss tag match.

Garbage... I just don't understand that (unless you're talking about them in singles, in which case I partially understand it).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts