Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 222 Posts

·
Ramble On
11,104 Posts
The Burning, Intruder, Pieces, Stage Fright ('87) and Blood Rage would be my favourite slashers not including the more popular stuff like Halloween and Friday 13th etc.

Also if you love slashers I'd recommend checking out some giallo stuff as they often have elements of that in there.

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,585 Posts
Just watched Scream 2, haven't seen this movie in time.

It's actually pretty good for a horror sequel, franchise went downhill from this though.

Btw what would everyones top 5 "Slasher" movies be ?

I obviously love the classics such as Halloween, Scream, Elm Street and Friday.

Looking for lesser known ones.
I dare say I enjoy Scream 2 more than the first one. If I'm in the mood for that franchise I usually go straight to the sequel.

Booked my tickets for Halloween on Friday night. I couldn't be more excited!

Reactions: Switchblade Club

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,402 Posts
Watched Nightmare On Elm Street today.

So after not watching this in a long time prior to today, I can confidently confirm this is still the admired masterpiece. I forgot how terryfying the kills in this are and how they cleverly introduce Freddy. I'm not a 100% fan of how they did the ending. It's mainly how it looks and hasn't aged too well. I think there's an alternate ending, which I havnt seen, in which Freddy was the one driving the car. Think I'd prob prefer that one. But it's a minor quibble in an overall sublime piece of genuine horror.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
THE MUTILATOR demands to be stated for various "non-popular" aka non-franchise oriented slashers. Because Jheri & Bubz were listing all the other ones I would have.

The Prowler, The House on Sorority Row (or if that's too popular, then watch the "remake", as it's still quality) Hospital Massacre, New Year's Evil, & Slumber Party Massacre II for some others.

Saw was mostly fine I guess. Though for all of the talk about how old slasher movie had stupid characters, some of the decisions made by these people were baffling. The dud was really that eager for a smoke? Ok I guess!
You mean after he dipped it in the poison blood? That's all that a moment with a cigarette reminds me of. :hmm:

SAW II was always my favorite, mostly because it was the large group getting knocked off variety, and it feels like some kind of wild survival of the fittest mentality shining through. Almost a reality show, in a way. Just if curious to see you bother with finishing these.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
@Obfuscation; I'll watch at least a couple more for sure. Maybe I'll finish them because I sort of hate leaving a series hanging. It's why I'm pretty sure I'll watch the rest of the Final Destinations even though I haven't liked a single one yet.

I watched The Final Girls and it was pretty awesome. My idea of a meta-slasher, and it balanced the comedy and actual "emotional" stuff shockingly well. Then I watched April Fool's Day and I didn't find it interesting until the big twist which immediately turned it into one of my least favourite films probably ever. Literally out loud was saying stuff like "no. You're serious? Oh fuck off."

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Decided to go rogue again, and watched both the Exorcist and Evil Dead trilogies.

The Exorcist is as creepy as I remember it. Such a mastery of practical effects and setting the right kind of atmosphere. Part II was okay, but truly not up to par with the original. Part III is surprisingly excellent in it's own right. I'm very surprised that it doesn't get any attention. Brad Durouf is amazing in it.

Evil Dead is a good time all around. The first film is a bit slow, but still fun to watch. What else can really be said about the sequel that hasn't been said already? CLASSIC. Army of Darkness is equally good.

Now I need to find something else that will force a deviation from the list intended. :hmm

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Decided to go rogue again, and watched both the Exorcist and Evil Dead trilogies.

The Exorcist is as creepy as I remember it. Such a mastery of practical effects and setting the right kind of atmosphere. Part II was okay, but truly not up to par with the original. Part III is surprisingly excellent in it's own right. I'm very surprised that it doesn't get any attention. Brad Durouf is amazing in it.

Evil Dead is a good time all around. The first film is a bit slow, but still fun to watch. What else can really be said about the sequel that hasn't been said already? CLASSIC. Army of Darkness is equally good.

Now I need to find something else that will force a deviation from the list intended. :hmm
Teh evil dead remake is actually pretty decent

·
wrestleMANia
3,769 Posts
Watched Nightmare On Elm Street today.

So after not watching this in a long time prior to today, I can confidently confirm this is still the admired masterpiece. I forgot how terryfying the kills in this are and how they cleverly introduce Freddy. I'm not a 100% fan of how they did the ending. It's mainly how it looks and hasn't aged too well. I think there's an alternate ending, which I havnt seen, in which Freddy was the one driving the car. Think I'd prob prefer that one. But it's a minor quibble in an overall sublime piece of genuine horror.
Everything about Elm Street is awesome, cinematography is top notch.

Wes Craven was a horror genius....Scream & Elm Street.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
@Obfuscation; I'll watch at least a couple more for sure. Maybe I'll finish them because I sort of hate leaving a series hanging. It's why I'm pretty sure I'll watch the rest of the Final Destinations even though I haven't liked a single one yet.

I watched The Final Girls and it was pretty awesome. My idea of a meta-slasher, and it balanced the comedy and actual "emotional" stuff shockingly well. Then I watched April Fool's Day and I didn't find it interesting until the big twist which immediately turned it into one of my least favourite films probably ever. Literally out loud was saying stuff like "no. You're serious? Oh fuck off."
Aye. That's why I'm kind of waiting to start a big franchise thus far, because I know I'll have to finish it.

YES at both of the other paragraph. Almost certain I acknowledged April Fools Day for being one of the worst things ever. It's a pile of bullshit; can't believe someone thought that junk would fly. Meanwhile, The Final Girls is exactly what you stated it as. The emotional core within it is really amazing. It's *actually* afflicting and gives it an extra wrinkle behind the whole "trapped inside of a slasher" scenario. A creative film, that even while being PG-13 still delivered. Now that's impressive.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Any films of Elm Street must see the doco about the series "Never Sleep Again".

It's a great retrospective, covers all the movies, how they were churned out on small budgets, shows the homemade spfx, interviews with the actors etc. Great stuff. Also how popular Freddie became and saved the little movie studio New Line from bankrupcy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1510985/

I never had any real interest in watching it. I saw the trailer and it looked like an uninspired pastiche without the charm of the original.

:draper2

I might check it out eventually.
It's fantastic IMO, check it out soon.

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,110 Posts
To you guys with Netflix, I highly recommend Apostle with Dan Stevens. It's awesome. Slow-burn type of horror that builds tension & dread throughout really well, and the plot is highly engrossing.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Watched all of the Scream series last night.
1 is still an absolute banger

2 is still awesome, but a little too talky for my liking in some parts. never really thought that before, but it dragged a little.
DAT FINAL TWIST, THOUGH :banderas

3. Christ, what a piece of shit. If it wasn't for the killer (GET IT) opener, an incredible ending that brings everything full circle, and Neve doing a fantastic job as always, I would never watch this again. Screw that "lets go full meta instead of the amazing subtle jabs we were doing before" bullshit. And fuck the top acting from that actors that stops being funny 30 seconds into meeting these goons for the first time. Fuck the lame ass kills and terrible acting. Fuck that douche from Grey's who has the charisma of a blowfly. Thank God, Wes was able to redeem the series with 4.

4. Having only seen this once and not wanting to watch it the first time because I didn't want the trilogy to be ruined, I'm now mad at myself for doing this sooner. Jesus, what fun this is. Brutal kills that actually made me feel uneasy. looking at you Oliva :andre The cop taking a knife to the fucking head and still being able to talk shit was brilliant. Hayden Panettiere please marry me.

Another incredible twist with the killer (s) that brings the original idea of Billy turning on Stu and framing him for everything to life. Just a really good movie.

Currently watching Misery :cozy Anyone who says this isn't Horror is getting hobbled like the Sneaky Pete Mr Man they are.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Scream 3 is absolute genius.

Kind of sitting as my favorite now after watching all four again.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
It's because we get to watch Cotton's girlfriend walk barefoot down the hall after she gets out of the shower,isn't it? :mj
That is a hell of a tracking shot, won't deny.

+ Jay & Silent Bob/NOT Carrie Fisher cameos.

Reactions: Donnie
161 - 180 of 222 Posts