Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 222 Posts

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
:mark: :mark: Today is the 1st and a public holiday in Australia, so nothing is open. Gonna see if I can watch a few to kick this shit off. Starting with Tobe Hooper's Eaten Alive, then the 1933 King Kong, then In the Mouth of Madness. Maybe something else if I can be bothered.

·
Registered
456 Posts
stir of echoes tops it as my favorite horror movie ever. i mean its not really scary but i just really love the atmosphere in it. so now i don't know what to watch after i binged watched all the halloween movies.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,390 Posts
So, Hatchet 2 was just as much as a gory romp as the first, but prob not quite as enjoyable. It features even more outlandish kills, which are always good to sit and enjoy, but as a whole, the film is rather thin and lacks some of the things that make the first enjoyable. One of them is the introduction of Danielle Harris as Marybeth (replacing the actress from the first). I know she's Halloween royalty, rightly so, but she's not that great in this and I preferred the original actress.

But you get to see another horror royalty; Tony Todd, go head to head with Victor Crowley......briefly.

There's still some fun to be had with the gore and kills, but not quite as good as the first.

Oh and you know there's always the obligatory sex kill in movies of this ilk? Well this features a doozy of one

https://i2.wp.com/www.dreadcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/hatchet-laytonavery.gif?w=600

:brock4

I'll probably move onto the third entry tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So I watched Let The Right One In...

I might get some dirty looks but I just thought that it was ok. A bit too melodramatic in parts, and the story didn't move me like it seemed to move everyone else that reviewed it. There's some decent cinematography and the atmosphere was set nicely, but I dunno, left a lot to be desired.

:draper2

Next up is The Lost Boys. I've seen this a long time ago and remember enjoying it. Might be worth it for the EPIC SAXMAN scene in it's full context. :mark:

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Let The Right One In sucks. Doesn't even deserve to be talked about in the whole of vampire films.

Already watched:

Tusk
Scream
Scream 2
Scream 3

Probably put on Scream 4 atm, if I get more than five in today that'll rule. Five was the goal, so it's going to be achieved either way. Mostly relying on what I own to start off with, unlike last year. House of Wax (2005), The Neon Demon, The Fog & Coppola's Dracula are standing out. But it doesn't matter as long as I reach the goal of 100 like last year.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Let The Right One In sucks. Doesn't even deserve to be talked about in the whole of vampire films.

Already watched:

Tusk
Scream
Scream 2
Scream 3

Probably put on Scream 4 atm, if I get more than five in today that'll rule. Five was the goal, so it's going to be achieved either way. Mostly relying on what I own to start off with, unlike last year. House of Wax (2005), The Neon Demon, The Fog & Coppola's Dracula are standing out. But it doesn't matter as long as I reach the goal of 100 like last year.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it sucks, but yeah it's probably not something that I'll have any real interest to watch again. Might eventually check out the remake with Chloe just for the fuck of it. I'm not sure if there's more excellence to be watched in the way of Vampire flicks tbh. I'm afraid that I might've ran the well dry from my obsession with them. :side:

NEON DEMON though :banderas

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Its just another one of those "lets use a Horror theme but its actually a drama instead" scenarios. Tiresome stuff. Don't need to spend two hours watching a kid get bullied. I want a vampire film to be about vampires.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think that I just found a Vampire movie that I didn't see. It may or may not have bullying involved in the plot, and the lead character on the cover looks like a Sisters of Mercy fan. I'm at the very least intrigued.

Only Lovers Left Alive

Anyone seen this?

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I have.

It's an absolute classic; especially as far as the "contemporary vampire" aspect within the sub-genre goes. Not exactly a Horror film, per say. But if vampires in general make the cut, then have at it.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have.

It's an absolute classic; especially as far as the "contemporary vampire" aspect within the sub-genre goes. Not exactly a Horror film, per say. But if vampires in general make the cut, then have at it.

That's fine. Absolute classic + Vampires sounds good enough to me. :)

Pretty sure that @eyebrowmorroco; recommended the movie to me a while ago. I had his recommendations saved on a sheet, but lost everything when my computer crashed. I think it was ether him or you that told me about that black and white Christopher Walken movie that had vampires in it but was more philosophical / meditative than straight up horror. It was very different but I enjoyed that.

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
I'm mad for a high school/college slasher mystery along the lines of Scream. If anyone has any similar recommendations, I'll greatly appreciate them

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm mad for a high school/college slasher mystery along the lines of Scream. If anyone has any similar recommendations, I'll greatly appreciate them

If you like your school slashers with a thick slice of cheese, I would recommend Slaughter High and THE REDEEMER: Son of Satan. Both of these are old b-movies but a fun time for halloween and they have their gory moments. Black Christmas is worth checking out too. Not all of these have the whodunit? premise to them, but they do take place in school and in a sorority house.

I Know What You Did Last Summer was the most popular of the Scream copycats. I don't remember if it's any good but maybe it'll fall in line with what you're looking for?

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
SCREAM marathon. Nice.

Got all three done day one! Had to squeeze In the Mouth of Madness late so I watched half of it past 12am but whatever. Absolutely adored all three; instant favourites and I can't picture the next time I'll watch 3 movies I like that much in the one day. Probably only going to be able to get two in today. Thinking Bird with the Crystal Plumage and.....I dunno. Too many choices. Maybe I'll make my first dip into Rob Zombie and see House of 1000 Corpses. Oh my god it's October. THIS IS NOT REALITY.

·
Registered
21,617 Posts
If you like your school slashers with a thick slice of cheese, I would recommend Slaughter High and THE REDEEMER: Son of Satan. Both of these are old b-movies but a fun time for halloween and they have their gory moments. Black Christmas is worth checking out too. Not all of these have the whodunit? premise to them, but they do take place in school and in a sorority house.

I Know What You Did Last Summer was the most popular of the Scream copycats. I don't remember if it's any good but maybe it'll fall in line with what you're looking for?
Added these 3 to my watchlist, from what I remember I enjoyed the IKWYDLS series. Cheers for the recommendations :)

·
Devil's Blood
3,370 Posts
I was about to start a thread about my picks and my mini reviews for every night of the month. Might just do it here now....hmmmmmm.

Here is my list this year:

Wishmaster (1997)
Pumpkinhead (1988)
Night of the Demons (1988)
IT (2017)
American Psycho (2000)
SCREAM (1996)
Society (1989) / Frankenstein (1931)
Hellraiser (1987)
I Spit On Your Grave (1978)
Motel Hell (1980)
Hatchet II (2007)
Army of Darkness (1992)
American Mary (2012)
Candyman (1992)
Shocker (1989)
Halloween (1977)
Creepshow (1982)
The Howling (1981)
Intruder (1989)
The Thing (1982)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
In The Mouth of Madness (1995)
The Crazies (2006)
The Funhouse (1981) / Dracula (1931)
The Burning (1981)
Lords Of Salem (2013)
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors (1987)
They Live (1988)
From Beyond (1986)
Friday The 13th (1980)
Sleepaway Camp (1983) / The Lost Boys (1987)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't usually do anything Halloween related but might put on a film this month

I actually watched The Blair Witch Project for the first time in years last month and it scared the shit out of me as much as the first time I watched it. Honestly that film reverts me back to a 7 year old jumping at shadows at night - fucking terrifying

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
That's fine. Absolute classic + Vampires sounds good enough to me. :)

Pretty sure that @eyebrowmorroco; recommended the movie to me a while ago. I had his recommendations saved on a sheet, but lost everything when my computer crashed. I think it was ether him or you that told me about that black and white Christopher Walken movie that had vampires in it but was more philosophical / meditative than straight up horror. It was very different but I enjoyed that.
Aye, The Addiction. Forever eternal. That's a good way to walk into Only Lovers Left Alive; granted this is more Romance with the meditative, and say The Addiction was more singular living with the "disease"/vice.

Nadja is another great modernist take on vampires; if you haven't see it. It's a riff on Dracula's Daughter, set to 90's black & white grainy existentialism. My favorite incarnation of Van Helsing to date within it, too.

SCREAM marathon. Nice.

Got all three done day one! Had to squeeze In the Mouth of Madness late so I watched half of it past 12am but whatever. Absolutely adored all three; instant favourites and I can't picture the next time I'll watch 3 movies I like that much in the one day. Probably only going to be able to get two in today. Thinking Bird with the Crystal Plumage and.....I dunno. Too many choices. Maybe I'll make my first dip into Rob Zombie and see House of 1000 Corpses. Oh my god it's October. THIS IS NOT REALITY.
Sam Neill insanity scale continues to be elite.

First dip into Rob Zombie :monkey

It's not reality, it must be Matrix. Or just October. But possibly still Matrix.

Argento's debut is a brilliant one. Speaking of, I just watched my first Giallo of the month: The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh. Another knockout for Sergio Martino & it was basically another one of those "slashers before it was a slasher" goldmines. And Edwige Fenech is in it, is naked, but commanding. Her eyes never seeming to close, and there's a large product of brutal sex sleaze at the heart of it all. I'm doing just fine so far.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
This is the first time I've gotten really in the Halloween mood. What are some good watches for my taste? I prefer modern slasher, monster type stories. Not a fan of paranormal stuff or vampires.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Watched The Lost Boys tonight. It was as fun as I remember it. Most of it is incredibly over the top, but it's a cool 80s gem nonetheless.

Nori Morgan :banderas Oiled-up Sax Man :banderas

Nadja is another great modernist take on vampires; if you haven't see it. It's a riff on Dracula's Daughter, set to 90's black & white grainy existentialism. My favorite incarnation of Van Helsing to date within it, too.

Awesome. I might rework my list to make room for these. Nadja will be watched this month, and I might also add Innocent Blood (1992). That's one that I planned on watching but completely forgot about.

21 - 40 of 222 Posts