Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
October update! :)

So, the plan is to watch 31 scary movies in October. I'm 100% on track right now - here are the 17 so far:

Goodnight Mommy
The Autopsy Of Jane Doe
The Eye
The Corpse Of Anna Fritz
Lake Mungo
Blood Feast
Hell House LLC II: The Abbadon Hotel
Terrifier
Creep 2
Veronica
Malevolant
Insidious
Nightbreed
Hold The Dark
Deliver Us From Evil
The Predator
Jigsaw

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,585 Posts
I've been so lame getting through some horror this month.

Is Hell House worth watching? Amazon Prime has loads of movies and I have no idea where to start.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I've been so lame getting through some horror this month.

Is Hell House worth watching? Amazon Prime has loads of movies and I have no idea where to start.
Hell House is OK

You have to be a fan of found footage, and it helps if you already don't like clowns. Think of it as Blair Witch, in a hotel, with elements of humour.

Hell House II goes further with the silliness. I'd only watch that as well if you REALLY liked Hell House.

[edit] If you do like found footage, Creep, Creep 2, and Grave Encounters are decent additions to the genre. I think I saw them on Prime (although could have been Netflix).

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I LOVE NOES playing the theme throughout all the films. It lets you know exactly what kind of dreamy universe these are existing in with Freddy around. <3

Fourteen days left in the month, random list update. Just because I guess I feel like typing this up.

1) Tusk
2) Scream
3) Scream 2
4) Scream 3
5) Scream 4
6) Jeepers Creepers
7) The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh
8) Blade
9) Blade II
10) Cabin Fever
11) Cabin Fever (2016)
12) Most Likely to Die
13) Clown
14) The Case of the Bloody Iris
15) Cannibal Holocaust
16) Midnight Killer
17) Body Puzzle
18) Tenebre
19) Terrifier
20) Stitches
21) Stake Land II: The Stakelander
22) Delirium: Photo of Gioria
23) A Blade in the Dark
24) Slaughter Hotel
25) In the Folds of the Flesh
26) The Fourth Victim
27) Something Creeping in the Dark
28) Black Belly of the Tarantula
29) Die Screaming, Marianne
30) The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
31) Yellow
32) Eye in the Labyrinth
33) Smile Before Death
34) The Etruscan Kills Again
35) Naked Girl Killed in the Park
36) Seven Blood-Stained Orchids
37) Torso
38) Autopsy
39) The Perfume of the Lady in Black
40) Tales of Halloween
41) Murder to the Tune of the Seven Black Notes (The Psychic)
42) Double Exposure
43) Eyeball
44) Humanoids from the Deep
45) Seven Murders for Scotland Yard
46) Killer Klowns from Outer Space
47) Cabin Fever: Patient Zero
48) Mom and Dad
49) Species
50) Species II
51) Death Smiles on a Murderer
52) Black Sabbath
53) A Quiet Place in the Country
54) Baron Blood
55) Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks
56) Phantom of Death
57) She Beast

We'll see what today brings.

Reactions: greasykid1

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
31 In October update:

* = Rewatch

Hush
Predators*
Predator 2*
Predator*
Death Note
Goodnight Mommy
The Autopsy Of Jane Doe
The Eye
The Corpse Of Anna Fritz
Lake Mungo
Blood Feast
Terrifier
Creep 2
Veronica
Malevolant
Insidious
Nightbreed*
Hold The Dark
Deliver Us From Evil
The Predator
Jigsaw

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Watched Hush last night, pretty good, although its one of those films where the protagonist makes so many stupid decisions you're almost rooting for the killer at the end.

Haunting Of Hill House was very good. I felt like 80% of the scares were in the first 3 episodes though, after that it seemed like the amount of horror scenes were reduced a lot and the ones that happened generally werent as freaky - which is odd. Theres a few things that dont quite add up for me as well. Overall though, great show.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Watched another one of those wannabe 80's retro failures in The Barn. And goodness, not only does it fail to even "feel" like a film that came from the decade (although that attempt in of itself is something to never accomplish because you can't) but ugh, does it barely even contain a sense of being a professionally made film. A dreadful mess; I'll only grow more fond of competent framing in films because of it.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,403 Posts
More of a horror-thriller;

A quadriplegic man has a trained monkey help him with his paralysis, until the little monkey begins to develop feelings, and rage, against its new master.
Yeah, George Romero did more than just zombies. It's an excellent taut thriller/horror that I thougholy enjoyed. It builds the tension all the way through until the inevitable climax when the Allan tries to take control back from the monkey. Ella the monkey is the obvious star of the movie but the human cast is just as strong in their own performances.

You gotta love Ellas' audacity near the end when she literally pisses all over Allan, in an act of 'fuck you' defiance. You then get that classic line from Allan; "You slime. You filth. I'm gonna take you apart. I'm gonna rip your fuckin' eyes out."

This film is a product of its time, yet it's timeless. A great film all around with a riveting story and strong performances.

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Tragedy struck. My computer broke down a week ago. My October movie-binging plans are fucked. :mj2

I'll probably end up watching a bunch of weird Tim Burton movies around Christmas to compensate.

·
Ramble On
11,104 Posts
Watched Deep Red. This was the first Giallo I ever watched, and at the time I didn't know what to expect and I didn't know what to make of this. Watching it now again after years of watching them, it completely rules. Everything about it is amazing.

I'd still not have it in my top 3 Argento though, I'd have Suspiria, Tenebrae and Inferno just over it. Kind of speaks to how good he was when he was at the top of his game. A master.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Phenomena is right up there for me with Argento. More supernatural ferocity from the king of it + Iron Maiden. Oh goodness, yes.

·
Ramble On
11,104 Posts
It would be just under those for me along with Opera and BWTCP. I need to see some of his later stuff still. Always hear mixed things but there's only one way to find out.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I've had no success in trying to find some of Argento's 90's/00's films. Phantom of the Opera and Trauma are both well known for that time-frame, and yet, no go. His Masters of Horror outing Jenifer was wild, though. Sort of unlike him, but at the same time, not really. (this is in regards to clamping down on sexuality in his films aka or code for sleaze)

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Pretty sure that @eyebrowmorroco; recommended the movie to me a while ago. I had his recommendations saved on a sheet, but lost everything when my computer crashed. I think it was ether him or you that told me about that black and white Christopher Walken movie that had vampires in it but was more philosophical / meditative than straight up horror. It was very different but I enjoyed that.
The lists can be found here:

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/entertainment/1930281-what-some-good-non-horror-horror-movies.html#post57865745

here:

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/entertainment/1544097-what-last-movie-you-watched-494.html#post62700809

and here:

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/entertainment/2261745-goat-top-20-horror-films-happy-halloween-2.html#post71186377

Part IV...

The films of Juraj Herz - for fans of Karel Zeman, Jan Svankmajer, Terry Gilliam, Tim Burton, etc. Morgiana has some wildly imaginative shots (and you probably wouldn't realise the sisters are both played by Iva Janzurova), but the killing chase scene among the coffins in The Cremator = the thing to see.

Celia - It's a little known Australian gem concerned w/ the grieving process of a child (w/ legitimately scary scenes of the grandmother returning via nightmares)... and communism. And it's one of the better pics featuring an animal since Kes. Hot commie mommy alert.

I Saw What You Did - Andi Garrett makes Sofia Coppola look like an Academy Award winner (for acting, no tripping me up w/ the screenplay win) . It inspired Wes Craven. The phone is a big player... and there's a throwaway mention of an Elm Street.

The Serpent and the Rainbow - underrated Craven. Good voodoo. Scenes of Bill Pullman getting buried alive are tough, but tougher for arachnophobics - he's buried alive w/ a tarantula. Win/win.

Wild Palms - Battle of the low-key sex icons of the '90s... Dana Delany vs. Kim Cattrall. The episode directed by Kathryn Bigelow has feet shots of Delany and Bebe Neuwirth, coincidence? The first episode - a full-length feature - is solid... within the context of its time. Ultimately, the rest is a poor cash-in on the zeitgeisty Twin Peaks.

The Quay Brothers short In Absentia - another to the existential horror pile. If you liked ep.8 of Twin Peaks: The Return, this is a must... so is the first half of Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg. Obvious (relatively) recent influences on Lynch.

Maddin's Brand Upon the Brain - "Mother used suicide threats as a primary teaching aid". Yep. Narrators include Crispin Glover, Laurie Anderson and... Eli Wallach! But you'll want to stick w/ Isabella Rossellini. She handles the material w/ the required amount of detachment and import.

Sleepwalkers - not a bad Stephen King. It features a Madchen Amick dance number. I'll save you the trouble...

Castle Freak - family inherits castle. It says nothing in the deed about it coming w/ a grim looking dude.

Cemetery Man - another film for the aspiring horror filmmaker. All the tricks.

The New York Ripper - recommended for all the wrong reasons. Some of the worst delivery of lines you'll ever witness.

Anatomy of Hell - any film where a used tampon is removed and placed in a cup of water... and that water consumed, is horror imo. There's also a lot of uncomfortable insertion. Warning: Your enjoyment of the female genitalia may wane.

Dawn of the Dead, "Diet Edit". It's the best way to experience the film. Film starts here (27:28 on my copy):

Terror Train - the real terror? Jamie Lee Curtis' teeth.

Andy Warhol's Bad - baby meets terrible end. Jed Johnson remains one of the great one-time directors.

White God - a play on Sam Fuller's White Dog. The first half sees the separation of girl and dog. The second half is absurd. The dog goes from illegal fighting to pound to leader of a bloody rampage. The dogs break free of their confinement and begin killing.

Island of Death - Nico Mastorakis' answer to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was made purely for commercial reasons. I choose to take it as an interesting comment on the way folks of the Greek Islands view tourists. Excellent soundtrack, written mostly by Mastorakis himself.

"White Jesus said... look I'm flying". Ha.

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
ALL THIS STUFF

Wow, you're awesome!

I'll make sure to circle back into this thread once I buy my new computer. That's a mighty extensive list full of movies that I haven't seen before.

I might start with Island of Death because I'm such a fan of the original TTCM. :hmm

Thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Cheers. Island of Death is a grubby little thing... probably best viewed on grainy VHS. Be sure to check out the interviews w/ Mastorakis (on DVD/blu ray or yt -- after viewing the film). His insights are great. Expect some imaginative death scenes.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
31 Scary Movies In October - Achieved!

The Exorcist*
Friend Request
Trick 'R Treat
Blood & Black Lace
Cannibal Holocaust*
I Spit On Your Grave 3: Vengeance Is Mine
Selfie From Hell
Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)*
The Eye 2
Hush
Predators*
Predator 2*
Predator*
Death Note
Goodnight Mommy
The Autopsy Of Jane Doe
The Eye
The Corpse Of Anna Fritz
Lake Mungo
Blood Feast
Terrifier
Creep 2
Veronica
Malevolant
Insidious
Nightbreed*
Hold The Dark
Deliver Us From Evil
The Predator
Jigsaw

* Re-Watched

I know one movie a day isn't a great achievement for many, but making time for this wasn't easy, in what turned out to be a very busy month. A couple of days, I had to get 3 or even 4 in, just to keep up! I have to say, for the most part, the new movies were good. There's obviously a stinker or two in there, but all in all, this was fun.

Excluding the ones I'd seen before, if I were to recommend 3 from those I watched this month, they'd be:

I Spit On Your Grave 3: Vengeance Is Mine
The Corpse Of Anna Fritz
Trick 'R Treat

·
Premium Member
44,043 Posts
Being a Godzilla fan, I decided to do some scouting and finally watched Michael Dougherty's two creepy cult hits: Trick R Treat and Krampus. Since he's at the helm for next year's Godzilla sequel, I wanted to see if the franchise was in good hands.

Honestly...I enjoyed both films quite a bit!

Trick R Treat is about as Halloweeny as a movie can be. I love the Anthology story set up (dare I compare this film to Pulp Fiction in that regard?). Each story and character gets its time to shine, and its fun to see when they crossover each other as well, especially with the creepy Sam always watching from the shadows. The visuals also perfectly capture the feel of the holiday and add to the proceedings.

Krampus was also quite entertaining. Have you ever wondered what it would be like if Chris Columbus, Tim Burton, and Sam Raimi all collaborated on a Christmas film? Well this is about as close to that as you would get. Seriously, the opening scenes sucked me in because they totally feel like something out of an 80s/90s sitcomy style Christmas film (Home Alone being the most obvious comparison to make) and knowing how this was going to go, I liked the contrast. And then when all the creepy stuff starts happening, it goes into horror and comedy very effectively with enough scares and goofiness to keep it entertaining throughout. I don't think anything will replace Gremlins as the true creature feature Christmas classic, but this film does very well in its own right. And much like Trick R Treat, this film perfectly captures the look of the Holiday. As much as the previous film looks like Halloween, this film definitely looks like Christmas. With some scares, some laughs, and suspense throughout, this film turned out to be a delight to watch.

So is Godzilla in good hands? Yeah, I'd say so. At the very least, I expect the movie to look great and for the monsters to be awesome, which, based on his work here, I think Dougherty will achieve in spades.

·
STEVALD
4,053 Posts
Only managed to watch A Lizard in a Woman's Skin this week, but I caught Halloween on the big screen last night so :lenny

The Neon Demon
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre II
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The Next Generation
A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street - Freddy's Revenge
A Nightmare on Elm Street - Dream Warriors
Halloween (1978)
Martyrs
Terrifier
The Thing
Santa Sangre
The Exorcist
The Burning
Poltergeist
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Halloween (2018)

Only 17 :mj2

Nightmare IV and V next, and then Leatherface.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts