21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
agreed.

·
Registered
22,650 Posts

Chyna, DX, Authority, McMahon Helmsley era, Evolution, Power Trip, various tag partners... his best times always came with people around him to play off with.

However as a bad guy? Very good
Tbh that's part of what makes him as a heel to me. He always finds a way to get minions and more power that's some old crime boss shit.

. Also, all of his nicknames? They're pretty cool but why the need for so many? Cerebral Assassin? Huh? He mostly brawls and such. He's a tough guy and goes straight to the point. Not many psychological games there. And wtf does The Game mean anyway? I still don't get it. That moniker would fit a The Ridler type of character, not a straight forward badass degenerate like HHH. I can understand most WWE legends nicknames to some degree, but not HHH's. Am I reading too much into this?

So what about you? What are your honest thoughts on Triple H?
In the promo for it he goes on about how he's a student of the industry, which he is. Then you could look at it as he plays the game as in the political games of where to align yourself. Then for an egotistical heel thinking that you are the industry aka the Game makes sense.

As far as the cerebral assassin it goes right back into all the scheming and shit. HHH is usually two steps ahead. Getting Rikishi to take out Austin, which would make Rock look guilty was smart. Marrying Stephanie and using it to wield power which included whooping her dad's ass and ruling over the roster. Setting up a car that looked like JBL's limo to try and take out Batista that's cerebral shit. And the assassin part is because he usually violently executes those plans

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
One of the most obscenely overrated guys ever under Vince's sun.

Cannot carry an opponent to a great match, cannot carry himself in any refreshing or different way, is nothing special on the mic, always in the shadows of Hart, Michaels, Austin, Taker or Rock, and his Wrestlemania matches, as long as I can remember, were mediocre or sucked.
If you put H in a match with a guy who needs a good opponent to make a great match, you end up with something like Booker vs H or Steiner vs H or Reigns vs H.
The best matches he had were his style, Undertaker, gimmicked up, Foley, Undertaker, or with great opponents, like Bryan.

Literally all he has is a recognizable gimmick.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
As a fan that followed his career, I can't think of another main eventer to have had as much "boring" chants as he did.

Always has surrounded himself with the best whether that'd be gimmicks or popular wrestlers.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Good talker good in ring performer. Used backstage politics no doubt. Possibly took advantage of the bosses daughter having a crush on him. Has the WWE rewrite history for him to make himself feel better.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I can get all the arguments about how HHH is a master of the business and all that, but fact is, he always bored me.
A lot of times he is a bit boring, yes. Also, for a guy with such a long career and tons of title reigns... I cant' remember many promos of his that stand out particularly off the top of my head. I sure as hell can think of many Austin, Rock, Foley, Jericho, Angle, Piper, JBL, etc. promos, but I can't think of a single HHH promo that I've truly enjoyed. And if there's one, he wasn't the only person involved in it. Like I've mentioned in my OP, the one about Kurt Angle being a crbaby abd possibly gay. That also had Kurt, Stephanie and Foley involved in it.

Fuck those 20 mins promos of his during the Evolution days. I even remember him once bringing out a chair to the ring and sitting on it :lol:

Good talker good in ring performer. Used backstage politics no doubt. Possibly took advantage of the bosses daughter having a crush on him. Has the WWE rewrite history for him to make himself feel better.
He still would have gotten several title reigns if he didn't marry Stephanie. He just wouldn't have all the power he has now nor would he be the heir to the throne. His friendship with Michaels was how he got in Vince's ear in the first place.

·
Banned
132 Posts
love him, or hate him, he knows how to play the game.
He seems like a guy that plays with himself a lot. He probably gets off on his reflection lol.

·
Registered
822 Posts
One of the best heel's of all time, part of 2 of the most successful stables of all time, a great in ring performer, great ring psychology, great look, great on the mic, has the it factor & is a tremendous showmen. I've seen him live a few times if he's face or heel the crowd always explodes.

·
Pissing in the Mainstream
1,678 Posts
As a wrestler he was never over (except for that night he returned in MSG). As far as a backstage guy he has done some great things with NXT, but when he was doing stuff with the main roster he certainly favored the guys he liked, and the guys he didn't he did everything possible to bury them. So not the best personality IMO.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
He's a solid B+ with arguably the greatest booking of all time during the wwes strongest era. stronger booking than the guys actually bringing in the money like The Rock and even Austin

·
Registered
294 Posts
One of the best heel main-eventers-uhh ever

·
Banned
3,278 Posts
Oh please, Triple H was in the same position as The Rock, they gave him a shitty gimmick that didn't work(English Character) to which they attempted to keep him down when he has a new gimmick that's more reflective of himself. the man had to work hard and constantly evolve with pop culture and keep his gimmick fresh which ultimately led to his success during the Attitude era, and it wasn't because he "leeched off" Austin(who he outdrew in 2000) or Rock, because he was wrestling them while he was floundering before his success in '99, but because he was a draw and had a great character.

DX?

Required Triple H, he had Chyna, and that Triple H Chyna duo along with Shawn Michaels was what made DX successful, Shawn wasn't doing promos by himself, it was a team effort, their jokes and segments were co-dependent.

DX after Shawn? Triple H took charge, without him the group would've been pure comedy, yes Triple H did do alot of comedic aspects, but he was the leader and had the serious role, stuff like invading WCW, their trip in Manhattan, "The Crock", and etc wouldn't have worked without Triple H.

Then the crazy part is that they say Shawn Michaels and Stephanie made him success, Really?

Shawn Michaels buried Triple H in december of 1998, called him a mid-carder for life.

He wasn't even dating Stephanie Mcmahon when he and The Rock were drawing the highest rated segments in the summer of '99, when he had that promo calling himself The Game.

The WWF booked him poorly, they turned him heel when he was the leader of DX, when DX was at their peak, to become a lackey in the Corporation where they simply put him with Rock again(and no this wasn't planned, Rock was supposed to be a heel, but was the top draw since late 1998 and his stock was reaching peaks by spring of 1999, they turned him face and booked this feud again on the fly).

What happened when DX was running without Triple H and Chyna in 1999? they floundered.

Triple H escaped the hold back, grew out his beard, trimmed his hair, took an MMA look, cut the Game promo and drew the highest rated segments of the summer of 1999 with The Rock to the point where they had to make him the WWF champion, they ruined it as he should've won it at Summerslam 1999.

They then took away Chyna, and Russo left. DX was reunited where they worked without Russo and an updated Triple H. Triple H was doing awesome, Problem?

Now in Late 1999, Smackdown was doing better then Raw, as it was the new show, the writers gave it the most attention and it became the Triple H and Rock show.

Triple H was booked poorly as was most in late 1999, they had him lose the title to Vince Mcmahon, lose the title to the Big Show, the WWF was not doing as well creatively as it was earlier in the year.

Come late 1999 we head into Wrestlemania 2000 season, things pick up for everyone, Mankind, Rock, Triple H etc, Triple H and Stephanie marry, Mankind is fired storyline, Rock's quest to the WWF championship(no longer in tag division)

Now everything is good, from this point on the writing is well, people consider this to be when Triple H got over, truth is he was over, people were having the signs and he was being talked about, problem was the WWF was in a creative flounder in late 1999, especially in September and October.

So 2000 and on Triple H is the top draw behind The Rock, he's doing so well and drawing so huge that they turn him face against Kurt Angle, but back to a heel in order to get Austin over with the "who ran down Austin?" storyline.

Triple H was always amazing and the writers made it possible for him to show it from late 1999-Early 2001. He was at his peak from late 1999-2001, every week he was doing great, this is his best time period. that was The Game.

The problems start in Spring of 2001, this guy is drawing huge as a heel, getting huge pops when he started Raw Is War every week with his 20 minute promos in Early 2001. Now logically this would be the guy who goes against heel Austin, but they poorly booked him again and made him Austin's lackey, which no one wanted, they cheered the man over Austin at No Way Out for crying out loud.

He gets injured people miss him, he returns, gets the loudest pop of 2002, he's once again the top guy after Rock.

They book Triple H and Stephanie breaking up well, problem?

They messed it up by aligning Jericho with Stephanie. it should've been Angle, Triple H/Kurt Angle/Stephanie love triangle drew some of the highest rated segments in 2000, in fact I believe one night in 2000 it was the highest rated(this one I will need to check again), it made perfect sense, Jericho worked better as a babyface.

Jericho works better when he's the babyface and Triple H is the heel, Triple H works best as a babyface against Kurt Angle and it would've made more sense.

Kurt Angle should've been the first undisputed champion, it matches his gimmick, he most hated rival was Triple H, would make most sense with Stephanie.

Another problem was Rock/Hogan, Triple H is a huge draw but there's no way he was outdrawing Rock/Hogan at Wrestlemania 18, that match had to go last, even Triple H has stated he wanted it last, but the WWF didn't do it.

Hogan has a nostalgia run takes the belt from Triple H as soon as he won it, this damaged him very much, it left him in horrible feuds until Shawn Michaels.

However this was ruined as well when Triple H dropped his 1999-2002 gimmick, shaved his face, became Ric Flair tribute with Flair as his manager, and we were left with no top babyfaces for Triple H to work with(You can't have success as a heel without a great babyface, likewise you can't have success as a face without a great heel)

Triple H can't be blamed for 2003, it was clear they were building him up for Goldberg, if it wasn't for that he would've lost the title like he always used to, but since they wanted Goldberg he had to hold it for so long. Also Triple H's gimmick wasn't the same anymore, the 1999-2002 made him beloved, it is crazy because in the beginning of 2002 he was beloved, by the end of 2002 when he stripped all the 1999-2002 gimmick off, he was getting huge heat(maybe he did this on purpose or maybe the bookers did this)

·
Banned
3,278 Posts
Reactions: BeastIncarnate
21 - 40 of 132 Posts