Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Triple H for his backstage politics and his marriage to Stephanie. And also as a member of The Authority and as the main future heir of the WWE alongside his wife, Stpehanei McMahon. But let's take a look back at his career as an acitve wrestler and analyse him based on those years, shall we?

Triple H... well, in the 90s he was mostly a mid-carder. Don't care for his Terra Ryzin or his Hunter Hearst Helmsley work. Just mid-card screaming characters that would not be remembered nowadays if he had left the business in 1997.

DX? I don't particularly care for his DX work in 1997-1998. DX to me was HBK and the NAO. His match agaisnt The Rock at SummerSlam 1998 was pretty cool, though. And it turned out to be historically important.

Fast forward to 1999, heel turn. Part of Ministry of Darkness. Whatever. Then becomes "The Game" whose time is now(see that, Cena?"). He wins a couple of WWF titles but still am not buying him as a legit top heel. I mean it's hard to follow in the McMahon and Ministry Undertaker footsteps. And he wasn't as charismatic as The Rock. Then he beats Mick Foley and that match pretty much cements him. His 2000-2001 work as part of the McMahon-Helmsley faction was pretty good in terms of ring work. His matches were entertaining to watch. His best ring work was in those years. As for his promps and character... well he was a generic badass with occasional comedic bursts, but entertaining to some degree nonetheless. That promo where he and Foley make fun of Angle crying was quite funny. Remember that one?

He gets injured in 2001 and misses the whole Invasion storyline. Comes back to a big pop in 2002, wins the Rumble and goes on to WM X8 where he wins the Undisputed title from Jericho in an underwhelming feud and match. I mean Rock vs. Hogan should have been the main event. No wonder HHH turned heel again in the Summer that year.

Then in 2002-2005 he becomes a Ric Flair 4 Horseman type of character... meh. His reign of terror was definitely not entertaining to watch.

Then he returns in 2005 and since then he has switched on and off between the badass Motörhead hearing guy character and his comedic DX one. But this time he's a 40+ year old man acting like a teenager... not very convincing anymore.

So yeah, you probably think I hate HHH, right? Well, no. I mean, at his best he can be quite good, but his boring moments, his politics and his overpushing really can kill your interest in him. I feel HHH is a guy I'd like more if it wasn't for these factors. You know, coming across constantly as someone who wants the spotlight instead of it going on him naturally like it happened to guys like Austin and Rock. Plus, the fact that we've been seeing him on TV on a weekly basis for about 2 decades now is starting to get a bit tiresome. At least The Undertaker only shows up a couple of times a year. And he doesn't force himself on you like HHH does. Plus, most guys who feud with HHH seem to end up looking worse in the end of the program.

I do like the Pedigree, though. Cool finisher. And his AA spinebuster is one of my favorite signature moves of all time. Also, all of his nicknames? They're pretty cool but why the need for so many? Cerebral Assassin? Huh? He mostly brawls and such. He's a tough guy and goes straight to the point. Not many psychological games there. And wtf does The Game mean anyway? I still don't get it. That moniker would fit a The Ridler type of character, not a straight forward badass degenerate like HHH. I can understand most WWE legends nicknames to some degree, but not HHH's. Am I reading too much into this?

So what about you? What are your honest thoughts on Triple H?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Liked him up on until mid 2000 when I found out he was dating Stephanie McMahon who was head of creative that's when I started to see that he was clearly using that position of power for his own benefit especially during his reign of terror on RAW 2002-2004, too many other examples to list.

Talented wrestler, good charisma and solid mic skills but his legacy will for me always be tainted by his relationship with the bosses daughter.

·
When you don't have a match on the show
3,745 Posts
Triple H has always been one of those hot and cold guys for me.

At times, immensely entertaining and other times ridiculous overbearing and overexposed. His 2000 heel run was great and Stephanie or no Stephanie he became a legit main eventer that year thanks to killer feuds with Cactus Jack and The Rock with some excellent matches.

His main weakness has always been that character wise he falls flat in my view when he has no allies.

Chyna, DX, Authority, McMahon Helmsley era, Evolution, Power Trip, various tag partners... his best times always came with people around him to play off with.

However as a bad guy? Very good

·
Banned
132 Posts
One of the GOATs. Great in the ring, on the mic, great look, great intensity. Say what you will about his politicking and Reign if Terror but the guy is a motherfucking legend. Oh and fuck anyone who hates him because he married the bosses daughter. Would he be in the position that he is in today had he not married her? No, probably not, but that doesn't mean that he only married her for that. You guys are sick fucking people, you know that?

·
Back where we belong!
2,579 Posts
Overall he's very good, the guy has been apart of many memorable matches but The Authority stuff bores me to tears, though that's more on his wife than him. Would be interesting to see where he'd be these days if he never married the bosses daughter.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Fragile ego. Great heel when wrestling an opponent that can make a story/match matter. Nothing without his political connections. Originator of the awful 20 min promo. Impreginated the boss' daughter. Fucked a corpse. Fucked up Chyna. Pinned Booker T after calling him everything short of the N word. "Am I fucking going over."

That's just his wrestling career. Put NXT on the map. Passionate about prowrestling. Story still left to be written about his managerial/front office adventure.

·
Banned
132 Posts
And wtf does The Game mean anyway? I still don't get it. That moniker would fit a The Ridler type of character, not a straight forward badass degenerate like HHH. I can understand most WWE legends nicknames to some degree, but not HHH's. Am I reading too much into this?
The Game was going to be Owen Hart's nickname/gimmick after he got done with the Blue Blazer stuff but he died so they gave it to Hunter.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fragile ego. Great heel when wrestling an opponent that can make a story/match matter. Nothing without his political connections. Originator of the awful 20 min promo. Impreginated the boss' daughter. Fucked a corpse. Fucked up Chyna. Pinned Booker T after calling him everything short of the N word. "Am I fucking going over."

That's just his wrestling career. Put NXT on the map. Passionate about prowrestling. Story still left to be written about his managerial/front office adventure.
The Booker T thing was because WWE signed Goldberg and wanted him to be the one taking the WHC from HHH. Go back and watch the early promos of that feud. It sure does look like Booker T is going over HHH at WM XIX.

The Game was going to be Owen Hart's nickname/gimmick after he got done with the Blue Blazer stuff but he died so they gave it to Hunter.
That doesn't answer my question. And is that even true or just another myth? has anyone ever confirmed this?

·
Registered
151 Posts
As a wrestler, one of the best heels of his generation, if not the best. His heel run from 99-2001 was spectacular. Dude was dastardly. Not the best worker, in the ring or the mic, but he did get the job done, and he has his share of moments of greatness in that regard. What he brought to the table, especially when initially became a main eventer, was raw emotion. It was his ambition to be the best that allowed to display that anger and energy on screen. Really felt authentic. His run from 2002-2005 did feel stale after a point. Some say he buried talent, which I agree to an extent. However he also made stars out of Batista, Benoit and Cena in their respective WM matches. Although he was never fotc, he was a key cog in the Attitude era, and I wholeheartedly disagree with OP that he wasnt DX. Blasphemy. HHH is the only wrestler to ever be apart of every incarnation of DX. My only gripe towards HHH is NOC 2011, when he didnt put over the hottest wrestler in the planet in CM Punk. For someone who is always boasting about knowing whats best for business, that was a horrid business decision. As for NXT, he seems to be more in touch with audience than VInny Mac, and only time will tell if his fruits of NXT will bear any significant results in the long run. So far so good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i will give he is over rated, given though he has been a part of very big things like d-x, but idk triple h isnt that bad, but then again he isnt the greatest of all time either. For what he has accomplished and done so far he it is good but i do think there is so much room for him to go way beyond and has so much poitential to be that good, just i think he is too wrapped up in his self to see it. I dont hate him, but lately he has shown to start going somewhat downhill, but when your wanting to run a buisness and still making yourself wi nthe title, ...uhm yeah that speaks for itself.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Midcarder who managed to suck up to the right people I.E. Shawn, then married his way to the top. Desperately wanted to be 'The Guy' but never was - has always worked WITH the more popular wrestler. Him being top heel accelerated the ratings decline. The WWE hype machine will tell you he's 'an all time great' and evidently people fall for that. Not even in the Top 50 'all time greats'.

·
Registered
20,597 Posts
One of the greatest heels of all time and the best heel the WWE has ever had. Dude knows how to work in and out of the ring. He would if been important without marrying Steph.

People are just eternally upset he's had more impact than most WWE/WCW guys not named Hogan, Flair, Austin, Rock, or Cena, or they are upset he pinned one of their guys, or cry because he had friends who were important. No matter how hard some hardcore fans try to get the hate HHH thing to take off it, will never leave the hardcore bubble because people fuck with HHH and he's awesome.

Sent from my Z828 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
idk mastodonic has some very valid points, but even then man even if you married your way to the top and used popular stars to align yourself with thats still smart even if its dirty andcheap but it still got him on top, now i wouldnt say he is not in top 50, i dont think he is intop 10 either though

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
He's good but nothing special. He made the most out of what he had so you have to give him credit for that. He is a decent wrestler and a decent talker. At times he can cut a great promo and at other times he can be boring as hell. I think his wrestling career will be remembered for the stables he was in such as DX, Evolution and The Authority ect rather than anything he ever did on his own.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts