Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
He is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. No one could work a crowd with such ease as him and draw as much as he did by doing as little in the ring from a physical standpoint. Those are facts.

·
Registered
840 Posts
One of the greatest of all time, but with that being said he caused as much damage to companies he worked for as he did do good for them. He should have at least semi-retired by 93. His whole WCW run was a disaster and the less said about TNA..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hogan was the complete and utter total package. He had not only a natural charisma and star power "aura" around him but he also had phenomenal microphone ability that made you stop, listen and become emotionally connected to the guy which results in dollars.

Standing 6'6 or whatever he was and just under 300 pounds he was a monster of a man which again is appealing. If he turns up on TV he's memorable, if you see him on a billboard he's memorable, he's attractive to advertisers, talk shows, radio, merchandise distributors etc.

In ring wise some have said he was bad but he had his 5-6 moves and made them all matter which makes him a great worker in my mind. Sure beats the workers of today who will do 15 moves and only three or four get any kind of reaction. The dude was a good enough worker to get the crowd going mental over a big boot and a leg drop. He's a phenomenal worker.

He will go down in history as a top 5 on the greatest of all time list being a huge star for two decades and making two wrestling companies international powerhouses.

·
The legend never dies
4,352 Posts
One of the greatest superstars of all time, his move set was great for the Era he wrestled. Top 3 all time for superstar quality(Austin and Rock are the only ones imo above him). Most important superstar for wwf in 80s.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
He is the greatest wrestler of all time.

The word "legend" gets tossed around a lot these days, this man is the true definition of being a legend.

He has delivered at Wrestlemanias more so than any performer in history (including that Shawn Michaels and Undertaker). Hogan is not Mr. Wrestlemania, Hogan is Mr. Wrestling. Hogan is Mr. Sports Entertainment. Hogan is Mr. Professional Wrestling. Hogan is Wrestling. Period.

In my opinion, he delivered the greatest match in wrestling's history.

He also drew the most money and is the only wrestler in wrestling's history who brought about 2 wrestling booms; a feat that has not been replicated to this day and never will.

He transcended the wrestling business while still being in it. Only one other performer has managed to do this.

I am very well aware of Hogan's irredeemable qualities as a human being, but when it comes to wrestling, none has surpassed him.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Great entertainer, decent wrestler in NJPW. Once he got to the big time, his matcches became unwatchable, but you can't deny his character. I liked face Hogan better but heel Hogan was cool.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
My first real exposure to Hogan was his 2002 WWE return. Funnily enough, the first wrestling figure I ever received was a Hollywood Hogan a couple of years earlier, but I never actually watched WCW. It was clear he was being carried by a wave of nostalgia. I was being told how great he was without being shown.

Then Hogan vs. Rock happened. The Toronto fans treated him like a god, but again, 12 year old me was sitting there saying, "why?" The Rock was awesome, but he was being treated as public enemy no. 1 for some reason.

And then it happened. Hogan turned back babyface. The red and yellow. Hulkamania. "WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?" Wait, what? This is what everyone was going crazy for? A big red and yellow superhero who did the same promo, same routine every time? Beat down, Hulk Up, punches, big boot, leg drop, repeat?

A few years passed and I decide to do some research. I probably need to see Hogan in his prime to really appreciate him. So I went back, expecting a more energetic style, he's a big guy, maybe some impressive power moves... nope, exactly the same act 20 years earlier. Plus, prematurely balding and kinda tubby... if anything, 50 year Hogan had a better look than 30 year old Hogan! And he was this larger than life superhero? So cheesy, so corny, so hokey, so... fake.

I remember older relatives and friends giving me so much crap for liking wrestling. If Hulk Hogan was their point of reference for wrestling, I can't blame them. If I was an 80s child, I'm not entirely sure I would like wrestling. I liked Savage. I liked Warrior. I really liked the NWA/WCW stuff I've seen from that period, it wasn't so cartoony. Maybe if I saw Hulk as a five year old, things would be different. After all, I liked the Power Rangers at one time.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
the GREATEST to ever do it....period.

Transcends the business, and even after his physical body passes; Hulkamania will live forever!

Greatest face in two different eras, and one of the greatest heels of all time as well; no one else can say this!

SS tier Charisma and the best ever at working a crowd.

I carry the creed with me in my day to day life. "Train, say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and never give up."

and all that is a fact jack!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
He understood how the business worked and how the ability to get over as a character did 90% of your job for you. His in-ring act was fairly limited but he knew what it took to make it work
Hogan in a nutshell. So simple and he's one of the top 3 of all time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've never understood how he appealed to a single fan. Appallingly horrible in ring, cringeworthy, cheesy ass promos, ugly as sin, corny gimmick, all time bad finishing move, and cringy mannerisms like ripping off his shirt and spending minutes posing to the crowd, or playing air guitar with the belt.

The only possible reason I see is Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and that was already in the late 90's.
Yet he could work a crowd better than anyone on the current roster by a laughably wide spread.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Great entertainer, decent wrestler in NJPW. Once he got to the big time, his matcches became unwatchable, but you can't deny his character. I liked face Hogan better but heel Hogan was cool.
His match with Inoki is the shizzzzznit.

Hogan in a nutshell. So simple and he's one of the top 3 of all time.
What is the general consensus of hogan amongst wrestling fans on your side of the world, curious?

Yet he could work a crowd better than anyone on the current roster by a laughably wide spread.
Can't even begin to express how true this is. Hogan all the way up until the end of his final WWE run had the crowd in the palm of his hands nightly. Hell even as Mr. America.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
On November 17th of 1979, exactly 40 years ago, Hulk Hogan debuted in-ring. Despite he was not a great wrestler, his gimmick was. How does it have about special? Colors, Charisma, and leadership. However, he was not exempt from controversy. Anyway, He and other legends contributed to making wrestling in a cultural boom in 80's.

Happy 40th Anniversary, Hulkster.
I disagree that his gimmick was anything special. I also disagree that he himself was anything special. He was pushed to the moon, and out of the solar system, the first person to be so pushed by a promotion that ate up all the other promotions. He played his role competently, but this balding steroid guy with a blonde mustache was nothing special, and was mostly right place right time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I disagree that his gimmick was anything special. I also disagree that he himself was anything special. He was pushed to the moon, and out of the solar system, the first person to be so pushed by a promotion that ate up all the other promotions. He played his role competently, but this balding steroid guy with a blonde mustache was nothing special, and was mostly right place right time.
Nothing special? Ridiculous.

He can flex and get a bigger pop than whoever your favorite wrestler is.

Vince McMahon went back to Hogan countless times. He transcended the art.

He was a tremendous ambassador as well. He could cut a great promo, whether calm or hulked up. Had one of the greatest looks ever. His merch flew off of shelves. Hogan worked a crowd better than anyone to this day.

Greatest face ever. Greatest heel turn ever.

He wasn't just special, he's the single most iconic wrestler to ever live. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Right place, right time? No, he WAS the place and time. No Hogan, no wrestling boom, or at the very least it would have been delayed a long time. Savage, Andre, Flair or Warrior couldn't replace him and have the same impact.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,406 Posts
Hulk had monster charisma, he was globally popular for generations, and he amassed a top-tier legacy as one of the true GOATs in the history of professional wrestling that can't be denied by anyone.

That being said, I'm not a fan of his and I never was. Hulk-a-maniacs ran wild in his heyday, but I was never one of them. Hogan just didn't do anything for me.

I was a tried and true Macho Man fanatic.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts