Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On November 17th of 1979, exactly 40 years ago, Hulk Hogan debuted in-ring. Despite he was not a great wrestler, his gimmick was. How does it have about special? Colors, Charisma, and leadership. However, he was not exempt from controversy. Anyway, He and other legends contributed to making wrestling in a cultural boom in 80's.

Happy 40th Anniversary, Hulkster.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,254 Posts
HULKAMANIA BROTHER :hogan

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
He is objectively one of the top three GOATs.

No one can debate or deny his legacy, influence, and importance to professional wrestling.

And I don’t think I’ve ever heard a story about him treating a fan poorly, which is especially remarkable when you consider how long he’s been in the public eye.

All that being said...

I’m not a fan.

Don’t like his promos, don’t like his matches, don’t like how other guys were kept down because of him.

Basically.

A GOAT but not my GOAT.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I got into wrestling sometime around the early and mid 90s so I missed the heyday of Hulkamania and therefore have zero nostalgic attachment to Hogan. I am aware of what he's accomplished and how he was the face of pro wrestling and basically made it into a pop culture phenomenon, and all the respect to the guy for being a long lasting figure, but I wasn't ever an actual fan of his.

·
Asuka
96,501 Posts
I've never understood how he appealed to a single fan. Appallingly horrible in ring, cringeworthy, cheesy ass promos, ugly as sin, corny gimmick, all time bad finishing move, and cringy mannerisms like ripping off his shirt and spending minutes posing to the crowd, or playing air guitar with the belt.

The only possible reason I see is Voodoo Child (Slight Return) and that was already in the late 90's.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well since im not an old fuck who grew up with this guy, I can speak from a point of view that’s not laced with nostalgia. From what I’ve seen of Hogan, its hard to find anything appealing about him. Im not a fan of the cartoonish wrestling style and characters of the old days. Also he looks incredibly stupid

In short: I’m not a fan

60,000 Posts
All time great. I liked him as a heel managed by Blassie way back in the day. As WWF champion he was the epitome of being over and the perfect example of larger than life. I loved him back then even though his matches weren't technical masterpieces. He really was bigger than wrestling for a time. I grew tired of him later on but I never stopped respecting him for the living icon that he truly was and always shall be. His NWO run was good but my tastes in wrestling had changed by then so I gravitated to Attitude Era RAW. I still do have some fond memories of him from the 80's.

·
Registered
588 Posts
To me he,s the biggest draw wrestling has ever had. Austin,Rock,Flair never drew the way Hogan did. Hell all of them combined didnt draw the way Hogan did. He drew in the awa. Turned the wwf into a worldwide phenomenon and gave wrestling its second boom. Went to wcw and lit the fire that started the attitude era and inturn the 3rd boom. Came back to the wwf and had a huge match with the rock in his 50s. Past 65 years the only men to carry wrestling on there backs like that are hogan and gorgeous george.

·
Registered
50 Posts
To me he,s the biggest draw wrestling has ever had. Austin,Rock,Flair never drew the way Hogan did. Hell all of them combined didnt draw the way Hogan did. He drew in the awa. Turned the wwf into a worldwide phenomenon and gave wrestling its second boom. Went to wcw and lit the fire that started the attitude era and inturn the 3rd boom. Came back to the wwf and had a huge match with the rock in his 50s. Past 65 years the only men to carry wrestling on there backs like that are hogan and gorgeous george.
We've spoken before, my number 1 is The Rock because of the way exploded onto the seen, his ratings, ppv numbers and especially attendance records set in 2000 are UNMATCHED in wrestling history, I don't think theres ever been a star bigger than the rock was in 2000 in wrestling history. Now I do agree that Hogan drew more than rocky, but that's because Hogan wrestler for 4x as long as rocky did. When it comes to importance to the industry, Hogan is probably the most important figure in wrestling history, he's the MJ of wrestling. But peak to peak, no one was a bigger star than The Rock. I will say again that my wrestling knowledge only goes as far back as 1980, that's why I put emphasis on Hogan/Austin/Rocky when it comes to GOAT debates.

I truly believe the only reason we don't all unanimously consider The Rock to be the GOAT is because he left the business so early and at such a young age, but it says a lot that the rock is so deep in the GOAT convo having only wrestled full time for about 5 years, I'm in the minority that believes him being in the GOAT convo having wrestled so little is bigger claim to being the GOAT than wrestling for decades.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Undeniably one of the greatest ever, if not THE greatest. Either the most famous, or second most famous wrestler of all time. Connected with crowds like few others. Had an all time great face run. Then completely reinvented himself for an all time great heel run. Made wrestling mainstream in the 80s. Then did it again in the 90s. From a strictly business standpoint, it's honestly hard to argue against Hogan being the GOAT.

And that's coming from a lifelong Hogan hater. I grew up being a heel fan during Hulkamania and rooted against The Hulkster 99.9% of the time. He's honestly my least favorite wrestler of all time. Hated how he always won. Even though I didn't know the terms as a kid, I hated how he no sold finishers. Hated the Hulk Up. Couldn't stand him for the vast majority of my life.

But I've mellowed out a lot in my old age and can at least respect The Hulkster nowadays.....even if watching his old matches still pisses me off more often than not lol. In an era where few wrestlers get over, and even fewer remain over for long, the sheer love Hogan inspired in crowds becomes more and more impressive with the passage of time. Whether you love him or hate him, I feel like Hogan still brings out the inner mark in many of us.

·
Registered
948 Posts
He understood how the business worked and how the ability to get over as a character did 90% of your job for you. His in-ring act was fairly limited but he knew what it took to make it work. I wish today's fancy high spot guys would stop and think about why Hogan/Rock/Austin were so over.

On a side note, I can attest to just how much he put in work when it came to those meet and greets or dealing with fans. Five or so years ago, I went and saw him at a gym opening with a line going all the way through two floors of the building, out the door, and all the way across the block. A friend's cousin had scored VIP passes because he did some work for the place. Even with VIP, which put us to the front of the line, he'd been signing autographs for a good couple hours. I think he'd only been scheduled for like three or four. When we got to the table, he was exhausted, but not in a way that would have been obvious if you weren't looking. By the time I left, I bumped into a friend while walking to my car, which was parked across the lot in an adjacent plaza. He was damn near at the end of the line and I thought, there is no way, he's getting in there. Later that night, when I got home, I saw that he in fact, had gotten to meet him. There were a few other examples I saw through friends where he often made it a point to do shout out videos for charity fundraisers in character (while likely just approached randomly on the street) or hold up get well signs for terminally ill family members. Maybe it's because I generally find other human beings to be exhausting to deal with but as far as Hogan goes, I have a lot of respect for the fact that he almost never seems to turn away fans. Given how long he's been doing it for and how recognizable he is in public (a 6'4 guy with a Fu Manchu cut is difficult to hide), it's impressive.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts