Wrestling Forum banner

Greatest Wrestling Year

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which year was your favourite in wrestling.

I got to say 2001. This is when i really got into wrestling. It produced some great matches and ppv's.

The poll only allows 20 options*

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I voted for 2004. Although it wasn't a huge boom like the type of atmosphere that the 90's had but it was exciting for me. Mainly due to JBL and his transformation into a redneck alcoholic to a loyal hardworking financial advisor. His work alone is what sparked my interest back in from the semi slump they had in 02 and 03 to the most I ever felt like watching Wrestling and getting into the storylines and promos within his character. 97, 98, 99, 00, and 01 are all much more successful years financially and that's perfectly fine by me but 2004 had the biggest impact on me personally.

·
-
7,495 Posts
2004, for following reasons.-
-Benoit was world champion
-Eddie was WWE champion
-Christian became an established single star thanks to Jericho, who put him over big time at Wrestlemania XX.
-John Cena was entertaining as Doctor of Thuganomics.
-Randy Orton was entertaining as Legend Killer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hands down, 2001.

It was also the most profitable year for the WWE, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
2000 i feel it was the Peak of WWF during the 97-02 Boom period all the PPVs bar Mania 2000 are great shows and all have near perfect cards. The Attitude Era finally got a good mid card with the likes of Beniot Jericho Guerrero Saturn Angle for the most part. The tag division was alive the 98-99 teams were phased out Edge and Christian the Hardyz and Dudleys were stealing the show. Main Event wise Hunter and Rock were owning the WWF then fueled by the returns of Taker and Austin it was a magical year

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
1998 was the best year for me watching both nitro and raw

but if it's soley WWF/E , then i'd pick the year that almost everyone here dislikes , 1999

i know it had some unfortunate tragedies like the owen hart accident (RIP) , but the feuds and storylines were on fire , and there was always a twist somewhere , like the corporate ministry storyline and how the whole thing started with undertaker stalking stephanie , then it's the mcmahon/helmsley era storyline which was also brilliant

also , the amount of starpower was awesome and stacked , it was the only year in WWE history where Austin , Rock , Foley , Triple h , Undertaker , and Big Show were all established main eventers at one time

midcarders were great too , you had Owen Hart , British Bulldog (well he was main eventer but a midcarder for most of the year) , Blackman , Val Venis , Test , Ken Shamrock , chris jericho ..

sure sometime wrestlers or titles were a bit misused .. but somehow they were right back on track

plus the promos were top notch , the wrestling wasn't as bad as most people make it out to be

another thing i noticed was the tag team division was at it's best .. APA , the Hollys , E&C , the Hardys , The New Age Outlaws , the Dudleys (at the end of the year) , Too Cool , The Rock n Sock Connection , The UnHoly Alliance

and other cool moments like Jericho's debut or Rock throwing austin from the bridge for example

it was the peak year of the Attitude era

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
1998 for both Nitro and Raw. The only year I was flipping back and forth from TNT to USA every couple of minutes from January to December. There weren't many boring moments and the ppvs were quality, even the WCW ones(compared to today's).

For just the WWE my favorite year is 2000 but just barely over 1998.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Come on let's party like it's 1999. <dun, duuun. dtun, dun-dun>

Haha, joke. But yeah, 1999. Awesome year. It gave us the Corporate Ministry which got me crackhead-addicted to WWE. It also has Rock/Austin feud which was phenomenal. And it had Rock's face-turn which was legendary. Triple H heel turn which was absolutely epic, once the ball got rolling at speed.

It's just gotta be 1999(Y)

EDIT: Yes rocky Mark, you know it:) I forgot about the tag team division. How, I don't know!

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,078 Posts
Who da fuck is voting for 2001 ?, apart from the RTWM that year was horrible.

I'd go with 1998, the smokey small arenas and the nation, dx and austin booming in popularity.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I first got into WWF in late 1991, during the aftermath of Hogan's defeat to Undertaker at Survivor Series, and as a result I have particularly fond memories of 1991 & 1992. The Jake Roberts / Randy Savage feud was a brilliant psychological feud between two of the most charasmatic performers in the history of the business. The split of the Rockers was a really exciting storyline, although it never played out as well as it should have because of Jannetty's screw ups. The vacant championship being decided in the Royal Rumble match was awesome as well, giving the Rumble match a real prize for the first time in its history. Hulk Hogan's "retirement" at Wrestlemania was a really memorable moment (especially as I genuinely believed it at the time), as was the first big WWF PPV in Europe (Summerslam 1992, which I was lucky enough to attend). I liked watching HBK's rise to IC title glory, Bret Hart's seemingly miraculous title win (which came from nowhere), Mr.Perfect's return to action and the arrival of Razor Ramon. There have been better years, sure, but 1992 holds some real special memories for me; I still bought into wrestling and thought that it was all real (so I genuinely hated Ric Flair, Papa Shango, Jake Roberts and Bobby Heenan).

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Hard to choose, but 1999, everything was hot, you always got something interesting, The Corporate Champ, Austin in his prime, Mankind, Vince and Shane, Taker was great.
I loved the Russo skits as usual, the perfect year for me, everything that i love about wrestling. (98 right after that) the best *wrestling* year was 2001, and the best mix was 2000.

·
Wog Piece of Shit
1,125 Posts
I first got into WWF in late 1991, during the aftermath of Hogan's defeat to Undertaker at Survivor Series, and as a result I have particularly fond memories of 1991 & 1992. The Jake Roberts / Randy Savage feud was a brilliant psychological feud between two of the most charasmatic performers in the history of the business. The split of the Rockers was a really exciting storyline, although it never played out as well as it should have because of Jannetty's screw ups. The vacant championship being decided in the Royal Rumble match was awesome as well, giving the Rumble match a real prize for the first time in its history. Hulk Hogan's "retirement" at Wrestlemania was a really memorable moment (especially as I genuinely believed it at the time), as was the first big WWF PPV in Europe (Summerslam 1992, which I was lucky enough to attend). I liked watching HBK's rise to IC title glory, Bret Hart's seemingly miraculous title win (which came from nowhere), Mr.Perfect's return to action and the arrival of Razor Ramon. There have been better years, sure, but 1992 holds some real special memories for me; I still bought into wrestling and thought that it was all real (so I genuinely hated Ric Flair, Papa Shango, Jake Roberts and Bobby Heenan).
This is a great post! repped, RE: The part bolded; Those sort of rises to championships are what I really miss nowadays, Michaels winning the IC Title finally was huge, nowadays it doesn't feel like that for any of the titles, it's sad really.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts