Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as most of the IWC like wrestlers better when they are heel, I thought i'd ask this to get some peoples opinions.

My favourite is Edge when he turned into the Rated R Superstar back in 2005/2006. Probably the main reason why I'm an Edge fan is from this run, he was in my opinion hands down the most entertaining guy in the WWE during this time, if not ever. I especially enjoyed the feud with Matt Hardy, it had realism to it because of the whole Edge/Lita affair and was fantastic to watch because you could tell they really hated each other.

Thats one of my favourite "promo's" of the feud, its more of an actual argument than a promo but it's great none the less.

Edge really was at the peak of his career here and I know he gets a fair amount of hate on here now, due to him being a shell of his former self, most specifically in the ring and sadly I agree but here's another video of just some great moments from his glory days, mainly from 2005/2006.

Anyway enough rambling now, I thought i'd start the thread with a decent post. So what's your favourite heel run?

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
Edge was awsome in his prime I can remember thinking that WWE's product's quality had reduced by half when he got injured shame he's never really recovered

·
STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,092 Posts
Personal favourites are Austin 2001 and The Rock 2003.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Without question, Austin in 2001. I loved that whole angle - [The Invasion], and IMO Austin was much better when he was heel than when he was face

Cena needs to turn full-fledge heel and start hating the fans, then I will like him. Until then, I hate him

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
In more recent history, I would probably say either Triple H 2000-2001 or The Rock 2003.

Batista's final heel run in 2010 was pretty good as well.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
My favorite was Edge in 2006-2008. Pairing him with Lita and Vickie were good moves.

I also liked Rock's brief run in 2003, Shawn Michaels in 1997, Kurt Angle in 01-05', and Vince in 1998-2001.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,616 Posts
Austin 2001, I his run when he first turned heel, and was just sadistic. Beating the shit out of Micheals Cole, JR, The Hardy Boyz and putting The Rock out of action(kayfabewise). he also did many other. Didn't like when he turned into a pussie, and kept hugging Vince McMahon and shit, althought it did prove for some good comedic gold between Austin and Kurt Angle. Bu afterward when he joined the Alliance he was great again, beating up Tazz who was the face of ECW and basically looking like a dictator or something.

Undertaker 2002. Just like Austin he was sadistic, but he was also great at being a bully. Te whole respect storyline was pretty cool, and his mic work was at it's best at the time.

The Rock as Corporate Rock

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Triple H 2000-2001 man he was the perfect heel who had married Steph and began to run the WWF onscreen and went after everyone. Then he got Vince and Shane on board after Mania and it just kept getting better. Then in 2001 he and Austin teamed and for the time they were together they ruled the WWF to bad he got injured when he did i would of liked to see how they would of went during the Invasion

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I don't understand the love for Stone Cold's 2001 heel run.

He turned into a cowardly heel who got his ass kicked by upper mid-carders.

The same man who passed out in a pool of his blood at Wrestlemania 13 was now tapping out to The Rock, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, and Kurt Angle.

I couldn't enjoy it. Austin has said in his book and in interviews that his heel turn was a mistake.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Of course me being a bit bias, everyone knows that my first choice is of course Heel MVP. Even if I wasn’t a fan of him-that was one of the best and well proper pushes that I’ve ever witness for a upper mid-carder/main event jobber. Then you got JBL going all crazy in excitement for him through commentary every time he comes out like how Cole is for The Miz today, what an incredible 2 year ½ Heel run for a pro wrestler in the WWE. Still one of my favorite segments in Smackdown history with JBL giving MVP the United States championship ring while they keep complimenting each other as you can tell they was really getting under the skin of the fans.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3k8a2_smackdown-23-11-07-jbl-awards-mvp-p_sport

It’s amazing how WWE can not even follow that format of a steady and slow push like that today with all these rushed and random pushes with guys who have no charisma, not over, have no momentum or doesn’t even have the look to be World Heavyweight Champion.

My other favorite Heel run is Stone Cold Steve Austin’s from 2001. I don’t care what anybody says, it may had flopped for business perspective but Austin played his role perfectly and showed everyone that he is indeed not one dimensional in the “Stone Cold” character. Steve played a whiny, psychotic and comedy character all under this run and not only that-Austin was putting on classic/great matches like his neck wasn’t even damaged with the likes of Angle, Benoit, Jericho, Rock, Triple H etc. This was definitely an underrated year for Austin towards his fans, they need to realize he was really actually at his absolutely best as a complete package of the year of 2001 minus being the main draw this time. I will never forget segments like this kicking off RAW with Alliance Austin.

Hollywood Rock without a doubt, for obvious reasons, Rock was getting stale in mid 2002 and when he returned early of 2003 being rejuvenated to this Hollywood big shot and just sticking it to everyone that is now above WWE and movie star now-it most definitely entertaining television. Rock and WWE knew he wasn’t going to get the same reception when he was about to return since majority of the fans felt like “sold out”.

I liked his tweener role as well when he came back for the final time in this gimmick as the special guest for the Highlight Reel.

PS: Jericho was at his absolute best in this gimmick of being the "King of The World".

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
The Rocks Heel run in 97-98 with the Nation also Randy Ortons heel run when he was the IC champion was pretty good probably the best work he's done in my opinion

·
Ho!
18,025 Posts
I do think Eddie was the best heel of WWE in the last decade for his run in 2005, absolutely brilliant work by him. Even though it was only about 5 months long and he only really feuded with Mysterio, his ability at that point in time was fucking phenomenal. Edge in 2006 was also a brilliant, spineless heel who always kept you wondering what he was going to do next, and he's second on my list.

But as for my personal favorite? I have two:

-Edge in 2008, three weeks leading up to Summerslam- It was like someone like a fire under Edge for those three weeks. He was still going strong in 2008 prior to his psycho change, but when he went apeshit on Foley, Vickie, and the whole Familia that he essentially created, it was brilliant. Edge played his psycho character to perfection who was desperate to get in the ring with Taker in Hell in a Cell. Wish he had kept going on with this after he returned at Survivor Series 2008, but instead he reverted back to his ultimate opportunist gimmick, only now it had gotten ridiculous. Nevertheless, I really really enjoyed this heel run, and is one of my two favorites. The other one is...

-Undertaker in 2002- A very underrated and under appreciated run. I'd easily put it in the top 10 heel runs of the last decade, MAYBE even top 5. It's also as I said before, one of my two favorites. Taker was just such a badass during this time. He demanded respect, and bullied people into giving him it. His promo work at the time was top-notch, a true testament to what Taker can do on the stick. He was the best Undisputed Champion, and had a very good resume of matches throughout his heel run:

vs. RVD Vengeance 2001
vs. Rock NWO 02
vs. Ric Flair WM18
vs. Jeff Hardy Raw Ladder Match
vs. Kurt Angle where he tied with Angle and tapped out
vs. Angle and Rock at Vengeance 2002

He had some pretty bad matches as well, but hey, never said this time period was his best in ring period.

Also, just a bit of a fun fact, but if I'm not mistaken, just as Taker returned to being face the night after Vengeance 2002, Triple H turned heel almost simultaneously. Just something funny I thought about.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts