Wrestling Forum banner

What was your favorite version of Steve Austin?

• "Stunning" Steve Austin

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • ECW Run

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • The Ringmaster

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Heel 1996-97

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Face 1997-00

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Heel 2001 (The Two Man Power Trip)

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Leader of The Alliance

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Late WWE Career 2002-04

Votes: 1 2.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many here feel that Austin is the greatest performer the industry has ever seen so I want to know what was your favorite gimmick of his. Mine was the post Ringmaster heel Austin, that was when he had classic matches with Bret Hart and cut great promos (His KOTR speech obviously)

He's had many different characters throughout the years but what was your favorite?

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
Ive gone for the obvious of 97-2000 run however his heel run 96-97 was pretty entertaining and his work with ECW was fucking hilarious

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
MY personal favorite is heel Austin 1996-1997. Great matches, great promos, and he wasn't limited yet.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,284 Posts
His Heel run in 1996, because he had great matches and great promos and was in one of my favourite feuds ever (Bret Hart vs Steve Austin)

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
MY personal favorite is heel Austin 1996-1997. Great matches, great promos, and he wasn't limited yet.
yeah his match with Bret at survivor series 1996 was awsome he pulled out all the tricks in that one, I seem to remember him slapping a texas clover leaf on the Hitman

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
yeah his match with Bret at survivor series 1996 was awsome he pulled out all the tricks in that one, I seem to remember him slapping a texas clover leaf on the Hitman
Yup lol. It was a hell of a match. I wonder how many other great technical matches he would have had had he not been injured by Owen at Summerslam '97.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went with heel 1996-1997. This was when Austin was nearly there but just hadn't quite made it to legend status yet. Around this time he was involved in the brilliant feud with Bret Hart from his excellent Survivor Series 1996 match, his one man Royal Rumble performance in 1997, The Final Four PPV, and climaxing with the famous Wrestlemania 17 submission match between Hart and Austin. The Canadian Stampede PPV after Wrestlemania was a highlight too.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Heel 1996-97

·
Registered
633 Posts
nuff said

edit: this is from 1996 I think, I voted for 1997-00 by accident, nevermind.

There was so much intensity of those promos. One line always stuck with me from that feud, it was something like:
"put an s in front of hitman and that's my opinion of Bret Hart"

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
I liked Austin the most from 97-00 as a babyface. He was an unpredictable and bombastic personality that made the show that much more exciting to watch. He was an over the top and fantastic character that was easy to get behind. The feuds with McMahon & The Rock are easily two of the greatest feuds in the history of pro wrestling, bar none. That was Austin at his best. He was on top of the world during this period.

I HATED HATED HATED the heel turn in 2001 and I felt like his character never fully recovered from it. After that debacle, the character became very stale & repetitive. He went from being very unpredictable to being the most predictable character on the show.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I voted 96-97. But i have to say i liked watching Austin the most on his 96-99 run, even when he turned he was vicious, didn't care for anybody and did what he wanted, in 99 he started showing emotions more, he respected ccertain guys and stuff, and that's ok but he was a beast 96-98 didn't care what or who he was simply Stone Cold Steve Austin he didn't really change his behavior.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts