Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
21st century schizoid man
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heel turns are talked about constantly on here but how often do you ever think or talk about a real good face turn? Hardly ever...

It's actually quite hard to think of some big, epic face turns, i find that big superstars only ever turn face if they've been off with an injury, such as Edge this year, HHH back in 2002.

The biggest moment i can think of would be the Macho man back in Wrestlemania 7 when he changed back from being the Macho king to the Macho man and reuniting himself with the lovely elizabeth.

Other face turns that come to my mind as being most poignant is Hogan back in Wm18 against Rocky, he was supposed to be the heel but of course, Toronto thought otherwise. Orton's recent face turn has been gradual but if i had to pin point a moment that defined his turn, i'd say during his match against Sheamus at the Royal Rumble.

I find it really hard to think of some excellent face turns....can you guys come up with some?

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,584 Posts
Randy Savage at Wrestlemania 7 is the best of all time, in my opinion. Lifting up the rope for Elizabeth is only a small gesture but so very significant in context of the whole relationship over the years. It's no wonder the crowd went crazy for it.

The Rock in 1999 the night after Backlash was another simple one but it worked so well. Rocky was already getting crazy face reactions despite being the top heel and going up against Steve Austin. That promo on RAW was perfect because he still talked trash to Austin which got some boos, but his timing with everything he said was perfect. He got the crowd chanting his name, and that was before he even started his verbal insults to Shane McMahon. Once he started on Shane, that was it. Rocky was face again.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The reason there are more memorable heel turns is because it's much easier to INSTANTLY turn heel than face. Building the reputation of being a "good guy" and winning the fans' trust takes time; because of your time as a heel, it usually takes a while to prove that you're not just waiting to stab somebody in the back. As the old saying roughly goes, it takes a lifetime to build a good reputation but only a minute to lose it.

That said, there are a few great face turns. Savage at WM VII is a great example. Austin at WM 13 is another. I would contend that Tyson at WM XIV was cool, even though he's obviously not a wrestler.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
There's no real face turns that I can remember having much impact on me, apart from the (kind of) Sting face turn when Jeff Farmer was playing 'NWO Sting' and we wern't sure if Sting had turned heal or not, but then he came through to save the day as face in the War Games.

·
pretending to be nice
1,490 Posts
The Rock in 1999 the night after Backlash was another simple one but it worked so well. Rocky was already getting crazy face reactions despite being the top heel and going up against Steve Austin. That promo on RAW was perfect because he still talked trash to Austin which got some boos, but his timing with everything he said was perfect. He got the crowd chanting his name, and that was before he even started his verbal insults to Shane McMahon. Once he started on Shane, that was it. Rocky was face again.
Is there any videos of this out there? I couldn't find any.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It is easier getting booed overnight than getting cheered overnight.

To get the fans behind you is quite a challenge. I think The Rock in 98/99 as a heel was still getting cheered most of the times despite being against the biggest face of the company, so turning him face again after Backlash 99 was easy -- because fans were already getting behind him, and damn how over did he get!

Austin against Bret in 97 was another great moment where you had a heel turning face overnight, and he went on to become the biggest draw of his era.

Recently Cena and Orton come to mind. Cena as a rapper heel was getting quite many people cheering him, and therefore turned face, and become a massive one at that. Similarly Orton as the Viper was getting cheered even though he was a heel, therefore, the night after Mania this year on Raw, his first appearance as a full fledged face, he got a massive face reaction.

Austin, The Rock, Cena and Orton are the recent examples of great face turns.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Good choice would be Undertaker at Judgment Day 2000. When he was last seen he was a heel getting suspended by Vince and when he came back he destroyed the biggest heel faction including the evil chairman McMahon who suspended him and the current top heel Triple H who took over his spot as top heel. So a babyface turn that made really lots of sense and was effective in every way because the pop he received was one of a kind.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
'Tis OK. It WAS an incredible face turn, to be fair. Imagine if that had ACTUALLY been the end of his career? Quite a way to go out. It's too bad wrestlers all seem to share a bad case of Brett Favre Syndrome.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Randy Savage at Wrestlemania VII has got to be the all time best.

Austin at Wrestlemania 13 was great as well, because of HOW it all went down. The crowd loved him.

Undertaker's return at Judgment Day 2000 was pretty unreal too. I remember going crazy when I saw him ride out on that bike and just destroy everything.

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,584 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts