Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's better.

Yeah, I frickin said it.

I swear to God, I've had all I can take of walking into threads where someone invariably remarks "if only it was TV-14, it'd be the shit fo heezy!" or something inane like that.

I'm not the first person to make this observation, but I'll put it on the record anyway: TV-14 does not guarantee a good show. I know this for two reasons.

Number one, TNA. Their show is TV-14, and that product is fucking hopeless. They've got all the blood, violence, sex and profanity everyone claims to want from WWE, but they have no substance.

But I don't want to knock on TNA, because that's like picking on a little fat kid. I have much better evidence:

WWE itself is a better show now than it was when it was TV-14. And if you can't see this, then I wonder how closely you were watching before.

I'm as pessimistic as any smarky IWC bastard when it comes to the WWE, but I will be the first to stand up and say that I like the product right now and am generally pleased with its direction. I look forward to watching WWE television in 2010, which is something I haven't been able to say for several years.

From 2005-2009, WWE was practically unwatchable. It was make-your-eyes-bleed awful. It was worse then than Impact is now and as bad as any dying days WCW Nitro. It was boring, unentertaining, stupid, and completely void of any talented characters for whom you could feel empathy. And was that show PG? Fuck no. It was TV-14. WWE had arguably never been worse, all despite the glorious TV-14 rating.

It had blood. It had profanity. It had sex. It had violence. And it had no substance. It sucked.

The show's rating means nothing, just like the degree of blood/profanity/sex/violence is equally irrelevant to producing a good product.

Characters matter. Story matters. Talent matters. That is the recipe for success.

So come one, come all, and shut the fuck up about PG, because it doesn't mean a thing.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
if they write some better storylines for their midcarders, and give a little more attention to the tag team division, and basically, well, just fucking forget about the divas division, the WWE would have its best period ever.

PG haters are just ignorant. this is a time that is more dictated to wrestling. you'd think a wrestling fan would be into that.

fuck, when did anyone think we'd have Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, and Low Ki in WWE?

·
King James
24,868 Posts
Give me WWE 2005 - 2008 anyday over the shit we get today 09 - present). I could give damn about most of the tv/ppvs these days. I actually was invested in good STORYLINES (not just one) and character progression along with the matches from bottom to top of the card.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
to some of your points ...

Blood
I think some matches need it. Blood intensifies things , makes them more brutal and more real.
You should NEVER walk away from a brutal street fight/no dq/hell in a cell without blood on you , you just shouldn't
But overuse is as equally stupid as no use is lame.

Profanity:

A middle finger sometimes is just the correct gesture. Sometimes "FUCK" or I'll kick your "ASS" just gets your point across better than any other combination in the English language.
Again ...overuse is cheesy , desperate and pointless.

Sex:
Sorry but the 50's style bathing suits from Summer Slam were horrible.
Sex sells end of story...
I'm marking for Maryse wearing less clothes. Just a fact of life.

Violence:
It's wrestling... it's all violent. A man striking another man , much less slamming him , hitting him with chairs/steps etc etc is violent

If it's done well it adds to product. TV-14 could be epic if done right (as it was during the AE)

But I'll take a well written , well booked PG over a Russoish TV-14 100/100 times

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
WWE is nearly unwatchable right now. The only things I've enjoyed in this PG era are CM Punk and Batista's heel turn. I would take the worst days of WCW or anything TNA has ever done (exlcuding Abyssamania and Orlando Jordan) over current WWE.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,819 Posts
It's better.

Yeah, I frickin said it.

I swear to God, I've had all I can take of walking into threads where someone invariably remarks "if only it was TV-14, it'd be the shit fo heezy!" or something inane like that.

I'm not the first person to make this observation, but I'll put it on the record anyway: TV-14 does not guarantee a good show. I know this for two reasons.

Number one, TNA. Their show is TV-14, and that product is fucking hopeless. They've got all the blood, violence, sex and profanity everyone claims to want from WWE, but they have no substance.

But I don't want to knock on TNA, because that's like picking on a little fat kid. I have much better evidence:

WWE itself is a better show now than it was when it was TV-14. And if you can't see this, then I wonder how closely you were watching before.

I'm as pessimistic as any smarky IWC bastard when it comes to the WWE, but I will be the first to stand up and say that I like the product right now and am generally pleased with its direction. I look forward to watching WWE television in 2010, which is something I haven't been able to say for several years.

From 2005-2009, WWE was practically unwatchable. It was make-your-eyes-bleed awful. It was worse then than Impact is now and as bad as any dying days WCW Nitro. It was boring, unentertaining, stupid, and completely void of any talented characters for whom you could feel empathy. And was that show PG? Fuck no. It was TV-14. WWE had arguably never been worse, all despite the glorious TV-14 rating.

It had blood. It had profanity. It had sex. It had violence. And it had no substance. It sucked.

The show's rating means nothing, just like the degree of blood/profanity/sex/violence is equally irrelevant to producing a good product.

Characters matter. Story matters. Talent matters. That is the recipe for success.

So come one, come all, and shut the fuck up about PG, because it doesn't mean a thing.
Repped.

If you combine the brilliance of the HBK-Jericho feud from '08, the entire Smackdown brand from late April through early September in 2009 and, honestly, Raw from January 4, 2010 to October 4, 2010, you have enough greatness to make this ridiculously-lamented "PG Era" the best time period for WWE in general since around 2002. At the very least, I can safely say Smackdown was better in 2009 than it had been since '02, and Raw has been better in 2010 than it has been since at least 2005, probably 2004.

There's been some experimentation. There's been NXT, there's been Nexus. This year, there's been largely good, at least substantial pay-per-view, even if there's probably too many of them, minus a couple here or there. The best all-around Royal Rumble match with the best structure and interweaving storylines since 2004 (2006 was pretty good, too, though). A strong Wrestlemania.

The list of rising stars is insane. The foundation being laid today for the future makes the foundation laid in '96-'97 for the Attitude Era look nothing more than shabby.

Not to mention, as Rawlin67 and you said, it's truly more wrestling-focused than it's been in a long time. Wrestlers who have had to step up to reach the next level recently have, as Miz was forced to become a better, fuller package through his feud with Bryan, and Bryan had to turn up the heat for a WWE storyline and prove he could do it with ease.

It's not close to being perfect--WWE tag team wrestling in particular is a nearly extinct artform at this moment, and there will always be things to complain about--but the product is largely good, better than it's been in years, the characters are more intriguing, the match-ups more exciting. People obsessed with the rating have missed the forest for the trees. A Pixar or classic Disney film is no worse for being free of profanity, sex and violence. I'm not going to suggest Piranha 3D is better than Duck Soup or Casablanca because the former has nudity and blood. Wrestling, no matter what the time period, is either good or at least involving based on factors removed from ratings considerations. If you're targeting an audience with Stone Cold making Vince McMahon piss his pants or another audience with John Cena being forced to do Wade Barrett's bidding, what's important is that you've fulfilled a certain artistic verisimilitude that captures the hearts of the fans, whether they're five, fifteen, twenty-five or fifty-five years old.

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,601 Posts
WWE from 2005-2008 was pretty awful. Lots of very lacksture talent, given TV time. God knows why people want that back. Very few exceptional things happened in that time frame. Some decent feuds, nothing outside it.

TV-14 is one of those things many people misunderstand. It doesn't make booking better, it doesn't make writing better, and the sooner people fucking realise this, the easier it is for me to find something relevant to post about.

The only massive error that goes around today is the card is very generic. While there are a lot of talented guys on the roster, given very little time to develop. And that, isn't TV-PG fault.

·
Always sees what you don't
164 Posts
Are you insane? Bet your day job isn't a doctor now is it ;)

The last few years, while not great, are tons better than now. We got Jericho vs HBK, two stellar HBK vs UT matches, Edge becoming huge with that win at NYR, ONS both 2005 and 2006 with RVD beating Cena at the hammerstein, etc

What the he'll do we have to look forward to at this wrestlemania? My god some loser called the Miz?? Or wait...Nexus, this stupid rehash of a poor mans nWo. Newsflash - Wade Barrett isn't Hulk Hogan!

Like seriously this WM will be what

UT vs miz
HHH vs sheamus
Cena vs Wade
Randy vs edge

Like these is horse crap now. Just stupid as crap angles with rehashed now stuff with JOBBERS instead of main event hall Nash hogan type guys, a dumb as crap undertaker vs Kane for the 100000th time feud and Sheamus destruong your GOD Daniel Bryan in what, 15 secs?

Lol yah great booking dummy

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
The last few years, while not great, are tons better than now. We got Jericho vs HBK, two stellar HBK vs UT matches
Which all happened during the PG Era.

Edge becoming huge with that win at NYR, ONS both 2005 and 2006 with RVD beating Cena at the hammerstein, etc
Islands of awesome in a sea of shit.

What the he'll do we have to look forward to at this wrestlemania? My god some loser called the Miz??
THe same miz who was at 'Mania last year?

Or wait...Nexus, this stupid rehash of a poor mans nWo. Newsflash - Wade Barrett isn't Hulk Hogan!
Late breaking development, nobody claimed he was.

Like seriously this WM will be what

UT vs miz
Wrong brand.

HHH vs sheamus
Unlikely, though that will depend on when HHH will be back. And what's wrong with that? HHH and Sheamus are both top tallents.

Cena vs Wade
See above. And they've proven that they can steal the show at HiaC.

Randy vs edge
Are on different brands. And if they weren't what would be the problem with it?

Like these is horse crap now. Just stupid as crap angles with rehashed now stuff with JOBBERS instead of main event hall Nash hogan type guys,
If you're calling Wade Barrett a jobber you missed your chance. You aren't a jobber when you've pinned Orton and Cena (who he's pinned twise).

a dumb as crap undertaker vs Kane for the 100000th time feud
A feud forced to happen by circumstance.

and Sheamus destruong your GOD Daniel Bryan in what, 15 secs?
YOur first valid point. Pity that it'll probably be rectified next week.

Lol yah great booking dummy
Actually it is.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I don't think it's that bad now; in fact, I always look forward to watching WWE.

But "PG" does have some annoying limitations. The promos/segments aren't as edgey, the matches/beatdowns aren't as violent, and the lack of blood is a little weak. Not that blood needs to be in every single match, but once in a while it does add some extra brutality.

The ABSOLUTE WORST part of it, though, seems to have been done away with, and that was censoring/freeze-framing chair shots, table bumps, ladder spots, etc. That had to be the most pussified, politically correct, crybaby fucking horseshit I may have ever witnessed in all my years as a wrestling fan. I mean, a guy couldn't even clock someone with the belt without them babying up the replay for everyone's precious wittle eyes.

FUCK THAT SHIT RIGHT IN THE FUCKING EAR!!!! That was just beyond fucking pathetic.

Ptooey! I spit kittehs on it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
wwe is just a mess right now... where i agree with some of the points made.. i cant help but think if you bring back the WWE from 4 or 6 years ago viewership will increase

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
I've been saying this for a long time. I like the PG Era. Does it mean it's my fave? Fuck no. But at the same time I enjoy it. There's something for everyone in today's product. For example, HIAC ndertaker vs Kane. A lot of people bitched bout the ending, but hey kids enjoyed it. Yes, it's unrealistic but wasn't Undertaker getting burned in a casket unrealistic as well? How bout Kane shooting fireballs? Or do we just give those moments passes because it was The Attitude Era?

Then for the pure wrestling fan (like the majority of us I presume are) we got some great wrestling at times. It may not really be pure wrestling (Undertaker vs HBK) but hey neither was Rock vs Austin. I don't know bout you guys but Barrett vs Cena had a Lesnar vs Rock feel to it. The match went 20 minutes long and felt like iut was over in 5 minutes. Great storytelling.

Then you got the Entertainment fans (which, omg surprisingly do exist). These guys ejnoy things like Hornswoggle, Laycool etc.

It's a product for everyone. TV14 won't make a fucking difference. 2007 was TV and look at the shit we witnessed. Khali as champ? I'm sorry I take Super-Cena over that 7 foot piece of shit. So far 2010 PG WWE has produced below average, average and above average shows. IMO there's no such thing as 12 straight months of perfect programming. Even in the Attitude Era there were some crappy RAW's.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Currently I think this current PG era has it's pros and cons. Pros by still having some solid feuds and matches. Jericho/Edge, Michaels/Taker, Sheamus/Triple H and some others. It doesn't really mean anything by just having a TV-PG rating. Look at the early/mid 90s of the WWF that was PG. Personally, I think if they could add blood (for matches that need it) and maybe a few swears here and there. It's not bad! Same with sex appeal! Still having a half naked chick on public television is gonna make guys watch it. Not saying do it constantly that it becomes overdone or stale like 05-07 WWE. But do it enough for the entertainment portion of the show.

·
Registered
559 Posts
the way i see it is if people hated the PG so much they wouldnt watch anymore. they must be doing something right if the people who claim to hate it are still watching. my take on the pg era is that wear its at now is good. as longs as they dont go to like baby ish like doodoo head and stuff like that is embarrasing to watch when they go that far. but overall it doesnt need swearing and sexual references and i hate the divas there ok to look at but i like actual wrestling and they dont give me that. ive marked out more in the past few months then i have from 2005-begining of 09.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Sorry I have to disagree the writing for the most part has been piss poor for some time. Their have been exceptions to that as one would think but in general I would take 2004-2008 over this shit any day of the week. Then again WWE is not the only thing I enjoy for entertainment. So I don't have to convince myself what I am watching is really good TV

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think you're spot on with everything you said. For the first time in a while I can't wait for Monday night.
And I don't mean to bash TNA either but I watch that show every Thursday hoping it will get better and it just never does. They have the tv-14 rating and try to do to much "edgy" stuff with it. I really don't want to see Flair bleeding all over himself every time somebody gives him a dirty look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts