Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WCW was PG. Yes it was PG throughout the late 90's during the NWO era, during the goldberg era etc.

WWF was PG during Bret v Shawn feud in late 97

So why do people complain PG is making WWE rubbish? Sure there is no blood and no direct chair shots to the head but that's a good thing. Did Taker v HBK at wrestlemania need blood or chair shots? NO

People need to stop crying about PG when it is obvious PG has been successful in the past.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One match? No doubting it can work when focusing on the pure wrestling side, but the countless dreadful guest hosts, "comedy" sketches that make you want to scratch your eyes out and talents like Santino being wasted by being a comedy character are just what kills it all.

·
Banned
196 Posts
I agree.

I just dont understand why almost everyone is pissing and coplaining about PG, although blood does add an effect to matches like the hell in the cell, ECs, extreme rules and those type of stips and in my honest opinion hbk vs taker would have been a little bit better if had blood,

but other than that it is all the same as it was in the so called attitude era, come to think about after watching some attitude era wwe in the past few weeks, i dont see much difference from what we watch every week on raw smackdown, I mean besides usage of genitalia terms and the word sonofabitch, which were the only kinds of cursing wwe could use in the attitude era, and the rare cut to the forehead, wwe is and always will be the same thing as it was in the attitude era

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
I dont think I ever saw blood on WCW nitro. Could be wrong though.

I also remember Hogan saying he was gonna kick Goldberg's butt. Notice he didnt say ass.

I always found those two things weird.

·
Banned
196 Posts
One match? No doubting it can work when focusing on the pure wrestling side, but the countless dreadful guest hosts, "comedy" sketches that make you want to scratch your eyes out and talents like Santino being wasted by being a comedy character are just what kills it all.

the attitude era had its santinos
al snow
naked mideon
gillberg
big show dressing up as other wrestlers
and who could forget pat patterson and gerry brisco and their hardcore championship matches

·
Banned
266 Posts
OMFG,some people here still think the reason why the product sucks is simply because its PG fpalm.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Most of the people who complain about the current PG rating don't actually have an issue with the rating itself.
What they don't like is WWE making a product geared towards 10 year olds.

Reactions: Chismo

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
People complain about "PG" because it's a buzzword they can apply to anything they don't like as if it is at all relevant.

No chair shots to the head? Who cares about new medical research, it's clearly FRIGGIN PG ERA.

Hornswoggle/Khali/Santino/any comedy spot? Sure they've been a part of wrestling since the 1950s, but FRIGGIN PG ERA.

Guy you don't like getting a push? FRIGGIN PG ERA.

Guy you like not getting pushed? FRIGGIN PG ERA.

Anyone who has watched pro wrestling for a significant period of time understands that most of wrestling history was "PG". Believe me, the fact that no one says "ass" is not denying you amazing feuds. If you have a problem with something in the current product, there's a 95% chance it has nothing to do with the "PG Era".

·
Registered
13,215 Posts

Please direct your attention to the top left-hand corner at the beginning of the video.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Most of the people who complain about the current PG rating don't actually have an issue with the rating itself.
What they don't like is WWE making a product geared towards 10 year olds.
How do people not understand that PG is just a figure of speech to identify the company direction, and it's not the actual TV-PG Rating that people care about? There's a lot you can do w/ a TV-PG rating. WWE aren't doing it.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
WCW was PG. Yes it was PG throughout the late 90's during the NWO era, during the goldberg era etc.

WWF was PG during Bret v Shawn feud in late 97

So why do people complain PG is making WWE rubbish? Sure there is no blood and no direct chair shots to the head but that's a good thing. Did Taker v HBK at wrestlemania need blood or chair shots? NO

People need to stop crying about PG when it is obvious PG has been successful in the past.
Please leave.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Time Warner usually imposed strict authority on WCW concerning blood and swearing. However, WCW became TV-14 and moved back to 120 minutes during Russo's first high profile stint during the fall of 1999.

Smackdown has always been PG.

·
KO
5,650 Posts
OP is right. PG is not the reason why the show might be unappealing to some (and it is). It's the fucking horrible writing... you don't want your wrestlers to say ass? Fine, but don't book them into situations where they have to say butt, and they won't look stupid, it's that easy.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
For once I agree with bboy, you can be PG and still have a great product, look at WCW during the late 90's, pretty sure WWF Raw Is War was PG for the first hour aswell, some of you PG haters complain way too much, blame the writers/company, not the rating.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The OP and a few other replies on this thread have a really good point. WCW during it's peak was a PG rating and the WWF up until mid 1998 was under a PG rating. SmackDown has always been under a PG rating, so it's nothing that deals with PG. I think people just automatically think because it's not TV-14 anymore, it's a shitty product. TNA is currently a TV-14 rating, while I enjoy it, it's nothing amazing. WWE could still push the bar under a PG rating if they really saw fit to do so. However, in their business move they are trying to make it more family friendly. When you really sit down and think about it, that is a good thing. The kids who are into WWE, will beg their parents to buy them tickets and merchandise constantly. Putting money into the McMahon's pockets. The current PG switch, while I may not like it all the time, is a smart business move.

Oh and every era has had some stupid comedy relief characters.

·
#WWELogic
3,931 Posts
The differnce here boys & girls is that one PG product was aimed towards ADULTS, it was written, produced and delivered for the 18-40 year old demographic.

Now the PG product is aimed towards Familes & kiddies under the age of 15, its written for them ala using the words poopy, its produced for them ala the camera shaking when some one gets beat up or when that little bastard blew up the ring & its delivers towards them with the "Never quit" super hero waring there toy belt championship all the way to a tea party & who could forget the middgett that NEVER DIES always in the spotlight.

The fact of the matter is while there maybe still be and I say that again there may stillbe a little for the older fan to enjoy, this PG product is and unfortuanlty for the near futyre will be centered around familes & kiddies.

My recomendations is Youtube.com for free clips into the past and Amazon.com/Ebay.com for all the boys & even gals NOT enjoying the product to log on and find the DVD's you did enjoy. Hell thanks to those two websites alone I've been able to begin a WWF DVD collection from 1999-2005....a prodcut produced, written and delivered FOR ME....and it has made all the difference.

Stay Frosty

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Even if WWE reverted back to the old rating, I bet a lot of smarks would STILL bitch and complain about the product. It happened even back then.

And so what if it's targeted at mainly kids? Aren't they entitled to grow up with a product that they can enjoy? The same way a lot of the 80s kids grew up with heroes like Hogan and Savage, today's generation of kids have Cena and Orton to look up to.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Firstly - I marked at seeing Cactus Jack :O)

Secondly - I don't really care about PG etc, as already shown on this thread you can do a lot with PG. Doesn't change the fact that I'm really not enjoying WWE right now in what has been dubbed the PG era.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts