Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bit of a weird title I know, but hear me out:

In my opinion, I feel that the current full-time roster are not valued in the slightest by the company itself by what they get them to do an the WWE YouTube Channel and the WWE Network.

Let me give you an example, There was a video on their YouTue channel paying tribute to Stone Cold Steve Austin's 3:16 promo, perhaps one of the most famous if not the most famous promo in WWE History (NOTE: I really mean history, not when WWE today tags history onto anything they do). This is all fine and well, but what were you expecting to see if you click on the video below?

Pure, unadulterated, cringe.

How can you devalue your current talent even further than having them reenact a WWE Legend that probably has more drawing power than all of them combined? If a returning fan was to watch this, or even a new potential fan, what would they think about these guys? They mean nothing.

This is not an issue with the talent, you didn't see mid card guys in the attitude era reenact Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant. Despite their status on the card, they were still portrayed to be their own guys with their own characters, they probably had the chance to free style on the mic. This is all down to WWE today not valuing who they have anymore.

You don't even see their part-timers get in on any of these stupid videos, you don't see Lesnar, HHH, Cena or Undertaker pretending to be Stone Cold do you (Jericho doesn't count)?

Full-Time "superstars" constantly paying respect to the old guys, this is even an issue on WWE PROGRAMMING. Did any of that happen back in Attitude era? The constant ring if clapping for Undertaker taking their potential spots, Goldberg walking backstage. How Ironic, these guys impersonating Stone Cold who at the time was starting to get momentum and leave the mid card, yet went out on how own and came up with 3:16, on his own.

Rant over, what are your guys opinions on this? Clearly WWE didnt have the Network back then, but if they did, would they of done the same? Who knows? Maybe if WCW wasn't around and Hogan and co. retired from WWE on good terms you'd have Stone Cold, The Rock and Cena screaming "Let me tell you something Mean Gene!" on Sunday Heat....

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
wwe has reached a point where they are self aware that things used to be so much better and because of that you get this kind of thing, you get stars retired for years coming down the ramp at mania to crush your current talent because thats what people want to see.

its only downhill from here. They are essentially playing off what they used to be like, stone cold, a guy retired for 13 years was put on the video game cover in 2016, it speaks volumes.

cena for 2k15
lesnar for 2k17

no full time roster guy has been put on the game cover during 2ks run thus far. As Ive said before hell in cell for example is only what it is because of what it USED to be like, the match is shit these days.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
WeeWoo WeeWoo
20,073 Posts
Honestly I do think WWE devalue their talents a lot, but I don't think these particular videos are a the best example of it.

To put it frankly, a lot of the current wrestlers are goddamn nerds and loved a lot of the AE guys when they were younger, so goofy videos like this probably don't bother them that much. Hell, even someone as dedicated to his craft as Ambrose couldn't even help but geek out and corpse like crazy when he did a segment with Jake the Snake.

I'd be much more concerned about their spots being robbed by boring part timers (which I know you addressed) and shit booking than goofy youtube videos.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I do think WWE devalue their talents a lot, but I don't think these particular videos are a the best example of it.

To put it frankly, a lot of the current wrestlers are goddamn nerds and loved a lot of the AE guys when they were younger, so goofy videos like this probably don't bother them that much. Hell, even someone as dedicated to his craft as Ambrose couldn't even help but geek out and corpse like crazy when he did a segment with Jake the Snake.

I'd be much more concerned about their spots being robbed by boring part timers (which I know you addressed) and shit booking than goofy youtube videos.
True, but it's probably whoever is behind booking that is in charge of what goes in in these types of videos.

You are right on the money about the talent being marks in general, but so are the bookers in general, whoever organised this shit was also a mark.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I totally agree with what you're saying but at this point I don't think it really even matters anymore.

The ship has pretty much sailed on wrestling and right now it's just clinging to past popularity and successes to stay afloat. The parents of kids now are the "Attitude Era" fans, what exactly will the kids now have to attach their kids to in regards to wrestling when they're parents? Nothing. If the WWE continues on its current course, I give it another 5-10 years. At most.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Come on, now.

Don't tell me you didn't think Xavier Woods limping around like Jake the Snake in the background wasn't fucking hilarious.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
The real problem is when the current generation get old and expect to be treated with the same respect as the 50yo part-timers they fake worship now.

They'll be expecting to main event Wrestlemania then because they couldn't now.

Either the cycle never ends, or the current gen get screwed.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
The WWE tries so hard to be this multimedia company but only uses wrestlers under their contract to fill any of the roles. It's always terrible and I feel so bad for these people who just want to be wrestlers for a living.

But sadly they're all just fucking cogs and if they don't do something they get replaced by a part that...works.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's corny as hell, but every "WWE Superstar" is booked as a WWE mark. Even the heels are just happy to have an opportunity in WWE, childhood dream, ect.

·
Reap The Rewards
955 Posts
This is a good reason and because they are way more over exposed because of social media and these reality tv shows. There wasn't YouTube or Twitter or Total Divas in 1999 everyone would tune in and only see said superstar once a week now you have so many different ways to view them it's probably one of main reasons why fans are cheering and them booing superstars a couple months later because of this over exposure.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Actually in the attitude era weren't the videos where guys like Bruno Sanmartino came back and put the current generation over?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts