Wrestling Forum banner

Can the WWE cope if Cena had a long term 6-12 month injury?

• No, there isn't simply that strength in depth that can bring in fans, unlike the Attutide Era

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Yes, we have CM Punk, The Miz, Sheamus and Zack Ryder! WWWYKI!

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • So long as Heath Slater gets buried I don't really give a crap.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • This thread is stupid.

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would you do especially if Cena has a Rey Mysterio style injury that keeps you out for 6-9 months? Who will you push as the face of the company, how will you book him, who will get pushed and who won't get pushed.

Basically it comes down to this.......will the WWE suffer badly without Cena? Especially as WWE Creative's main event scene when it comes to the WWE title is basically Cena winning.

EDIT- Poll is up along with a humorous 3rd and 4th option. :lmao

·
Banned
807 Posts
Re: You Are Vince McMahon And Is Faced With Cena Having A Long Term Injury...........

Sign some good writers and the company goes on without a beat..and would actually be better

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Re: You Are Vince McMahon And Is Faced With Cena Having A Long Term Injury...........

I'd use the Cena clone that has probably already been developed to perfection.

·
Ted the Moth
12,867 Posts

I'd try and blame everyone else. I'd move Orton to RAW and panic when that failed. I'd probably hire back Vince Russo tbh.

The thing is, with the work schedule they have him on, working every house show and doing every public appearance, it's probably a matter of when not if.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts

Business point of view, CM Punk as a mega face. Have a continuous stream of heels challenge him for the title and fail. Basically Cena when he faced the likes of Umaga, Angle, Jericho etc...

Personal point of view, give someone new a chance, person who gets the reaction from the fans, can't think of who right now, maybe move Sheamus over to RAW.

Interesting question though :)

·
Registered
62 Posts

Have Del Rio keep the belt till wrestle mania and face Daniel Bryan , that match would be epic!

Bryan , Punk , Ryder , Ziggler , Rhodes , Mcintyre , would get huge pushes from me

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts

Push The Miz, CM Punk & Christian as major top stars, recall The Undertaker (if fit).

&

Give Jericho what he wants, so he will sign a contract

·
Registered
103 Posts

They'd probably just have HHH/Orton take his place and then when Cena returned again, he'd take over where he left off and keep going like that for years to come. If Cena takes time off, his gimmick will seem fresher to casual fans when he returns with it, but for the people who are already sick of him it'll just be the same old again after the first week.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The thing is, with the work schedule they have him on, working every house show and doing every public appearance, it's probably a matter of when not if.
Indeed, which is why I did this thread. In recent PPV its always Cena winning titles, which is annoying even though it keeps the little kids happy (and their parents who take them to the stadiums :lmao) So I cannot wait till Cena has a long term injury (most of the top wrestlers barring Jericho has had one) to see how WWE cope.

If the going gets tough Vince can always call Kelly Kelly to give him some stress relief. :lmao

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Just look at the panic created when Edge was forced to retire. Cena being out of action for 6 months or forever? I would imagine Vince would stare out of a window to a setting sun as Johnny Ace asks him for their next course of action.

Vince would take a deep breath, clasp his hands behind his back, and respond: "We pray." The following day he'd probably end up somewhere in Mexico after selling all his WWE stocks and changing his name to Alberto del Connecticut.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts

Just push Super Orton with a new Crayola Viper t shirt for the little children and the 6 foot 5 Sumo Wrestler country boys to rock.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Seriously though, let them crumble. It's thier own fault of not creating any legit stars, than relying on one guy for six years. WWE would have no one but themselves to blame lol. CM Punk and Danial Bryan (hes okay tbf) the solution???? hahah. Alex Riley is the future like it or not. The future is bleak, the future is shit from what I can see from todays product.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Just look at the panic created when Edge was forced to retire. Cena being out of action for 6 months or forever? I would imagine Vince would stare out of a window to a setting sun as Johnny Ace asks him for their next course of action.
Oh man, I remember the WWE had to do some major roster restructuring when Edge had to retire. But Cena is wearing and tearing. No matter how much you dislike him the guy has taken lots of bumps since his debut in 2002/03. It'll come back to get you like it did with Edge and what its doing with Rey. Hell, even Sin Cara is having injections on his knee (which led to his suspension because they supposedly had some steroids) and the guy is just 28 years old!

Injuries will come back to haunt a veteran wrestler or even a professional sportsman/woman and it could happen to Cena sooner rather than later.

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts

If I was Vince McMahon, we wouldn't have a problem because I'd be continually making stars, continually giving people consistent build. Not giving a jobber the MITB and having him cash in to win the belt and plunge right back into being a jobber when the reign is over. Which is something that he obviously has either forgotten how to do or just chooses not to because he's stopped caring.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Vince is Vince. He'd just turn Sheamus, Miz, Barrett and Rhodes into Main Event stars much, much sooner than planned. He'd turn Swagger into a solid Upper-mid-carder to go alongside Ziggler, Henry, Xten, Orton (some arte massive now but I feel a couple will drop a little as others get pushes).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If I was Vince McMahon, we wouldn't have a problem because I'd be continually making stars.
By stars..........you mean Wade Barrett. :lmao

To be honest Barrett just oozes class with his mic skills. His moveset is good enough but his mic skills help him immensely, as seen while he was at Nexus, leading the Corre, his brief IC title reign and the walkout on last week's RAW.

I would push him along with Sheamus and Cody Rhodes. A triple threat match either for the WHC or a #1 contender match for either the IC or WHC title would be great for a major PPV.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts

^ Some guys are strong and have luck on their side to an extent they avoid injuries. Chris Jericho has wrestled for years yet he's never been injured once in his life. (well, nothing that would keep him out of action for much) Cena hasn't taken a single break since he came back from his last injury in 2008 and he still continues doing what he does week after week. But with Cena, they are smart enough to not have him do risky moves. His moveset is pretty safe and basic because they don't want to lose him. I'm surprised that in special matches he still continues doing that top rope jump countered into powerbomb. Despite being injured against Batista at SummerSlam by that, he did it again at Wrestlemania 26 and against CM Punk at MITB too. But they really need to create new stars and perhaps change Cena's role. It will eventually get to him no matter how much they try to dodge it.

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts

By stars..........you mean Wade Barrett. :lmao

To be honest Barrett just oozes class with his mic skills. His moveset is good enough but his mic skills help him immensely, as seen while he was at Nexus, leading the Corre, his brief IC title reign and the walkout on last week's RAW.

I would push him along with Sheamus and Cody Rhodes. A triple threat match either for the WHC or a #1 contender match for either the IC or WHC title would be great for a major PPV.
I would make Barrett a star, yes, but as a top HEEL. I don't think Barrett is capable of being a top face, so he has no bearing on my answer to this question. I'd be pushing guys who could be top faces.

Which, unfortunately would mean I'd have to make some concessions and push some people I don't see as being any damn good. When you're a promoter you have to be a little less picky than you are as a fan.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts