Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with this guy? He put on some entertaining and well worked performances back on ECW. He's still on the RAW roster, not being very used. He can be a very credible mid-card wrestler.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What's up with this guy? He put on some entertaining and well worked performances back on ECW. He's still on the RAW roster, not being very used. He can be a very credible mid-card wrestler.
Very rarely has the WWE ever been able to figure out how to successfully use foreign talent that aren't fluent in English. With a couple of notable exceptions, for the most part, WWE can't connect them to the fans or something. It's a shame, really, as "World" Wrestling Entertainment, but it's just part of the deal. That's something that surprisingly, WCW was MUCH better at.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Very rarely has the WWE ever been able to figure out how to successfully use foreign talent that aren't fluent in English. With a couple of notable exceptions, for the most part, WWE can't connect them to the fans or something. It's a shame, really, as "World" Wrestling Entertainment, but it's just part of the deal. That's something that surprisingly, WCW was MUCH better at.
I find it hard to believe that the WWE couldn't figure out a way to push Yoshi Tatsu if they really wanted to. Think about how they pushed Evan Bourne for a short period while we was feuding with Chris Jericho. They got him over based on his in-ring ability, something that Yoshi Tatsu has plenty of as well. I don't recall Bourne cutting a single promo, so it's not Tatsu's lack of proper English that's holding him back.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Tatsu is awful and the worst in the WWE imo. Worse than Kofi,Bourne and Bryan - hes just so bad and cheesy.
You know barely anything about what you speak, yet represent the casual fans viewpoint, which was planted by the wwf not doing anything with him in the first place...seen him at a house show? Maybe winning the dark match battle royal before this past wrestlemania?

·
Offto Club?
1,275 Posts
Thats the problem, the RAW midcard section is dominated by Miz, whose kinda main event now, and Danielson. So it's hard for midcarders on RAW becuase them two get all the attention. Then again JoMo has been doing quite well recently.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the WWE couldn't figure out a way to push Yoshi Tatsu if they really wanted to. Think about how they pushed Evan Bourne for a short period while we was feuding with Chris Jericho. They got him over based on his in-ring ability, something that Yoshi Tatsu has plenty of as well. I don't recall Bourne cutting a single promo, so it's not Tatsu's lack of proper English that's holding him back.
And then what happened to Evan Bourne? Back to the bottom of the pile, stuck in a tag team with Mark Henry.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,819 Posts
People tend to forget how over he was on WWECW for a good little while there. He did connect to the audience rather well, and I can't think of one person more detrimentally effected by the closing of WWECW than Yoshi Tatsu (aside from winning the pre-show battle royale at Wrestlemania XXVI, which resulted in precisely nothing).

One issue is that Yoshi is 33 years old, and even if he weren't, he'd never be pushed to the top. However, he could, as has been said, certainly do decently in the midcard.

He'd probably be better off over on Smackdown, perhaps. Especially since that brand's midcard still remains heel-heavy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
And then what happened to Evan Bourne? Back to the bottom of the pile, stuck in a tag team with Mark Henry.
I understand the point you're making, but my point is that if the WWE wanted to push Yoshi, they could. It's as simple as that. He has the tools to get over with the crowd. Evan Bourne, even with his lack of promo ability, would be incredibly over right now if the WWE would have continued with his push.

The reason that Bourne is stuck in his current place with Mark Henry is because the WWE put him there. My ultimate point is that when you have a certain level of ability like Bourne and Tatsu do, the WWE wouldn't have a problem getting them over if they chose to.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
When I was in Japan I saw pictures of Yoshi Tatsu everywhere in magazines / all over TV etc. That was a bit after the death of ECW and when he was actually showing up on RAW.

I'd hate to see how things are now :x

·
Registered
813 Posts
I understand the point you're making, but my point is that if the WWE wanted to push Yoshi, they could. It's as simple as that. He has the tools to get over with the crowd. Evan Bourne, even with his lack of promo ability, would be incredibly over right now if the WWE would have continued with his push.

The reason that Bourne is stuck in his current place with Mark Henry is because the WWE put him there. My ultimate point is that when you have a certain level of ability like Bourne and Tatsu do, the WWE wouldn't have a problem getting them over if they chose to.
He doesn't have all the tools to get over with the crowd - he doesn't have any promo skills (at least not in the US). Most fans cannot identify with him in any way. The WWE has no reason to push someone like that. Think of all of the non-English speaking, foreign wrestlers that received good pushes from the WWE, and got over without any promos. You can probably count them on two hands.

WWE just doesn't push guys like that very often. Doesn't matter how good he is in the ring. It's sad but true, and Vince knows the formula for success, so we've gotta live with it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
He doesn't have all the tools to get over with the crowd - he doesn't have any promo skills (at least not in the US). Most fans cannot identify with him in any way. The WWE has no reason to push someone like that. Think of all of the non-English speaking, foreign wrestlers that received good pushes from the WWE, and got over without any promos. You can probably count them on two hands.

WWE just doesn't push guys like that very often. Doesn't matter how good he is in the ring. It's sad but true, and Vince knows the formula for success, so we've gotta live with it.
Tatsu could easily get over on in ring ability alone. He also has a unique look. Think about how many lady marks Randy Orton has because they think he's good looking. Well, a lot of women these days find Japanese guys extremely good looking and Tatsu fits the mold.

When forced to cut a promo, it could be the traditional "foreign guy can't speak English" comedy skit. Kind of like how on ECW, he'd bow and say thank you several times.

I believe that Tatsu's failed attempts at English would get more over with the crowd than Evan Bourne cutting a literate promo in a high pitched voice befitting of a child.

lol, I could even picture a scenario with Tatsu feuding some mid-card heel over the United States Championship. The heel tries to insult him repeatedly, but Tatsu only bows and says "thank you." The heel gives up, tosses the mic aside and just goes on with the match.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts