Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was around the time I started watching wrestling, and obviously I found it great as a kid..... What I wanna know is if people at the time Knew lex was gonna do it. I feel like wrestling was great back then because we didnt have access to the dirt sheets, but,,, did the older crowd know lex was gonna turn face and do it? I thought the narcissist was awesome (I guess I'm a smark at heart), but did you guys expect that, or was it a go-by-what-we-see type thing?

That's one of my earliest memories, so I just wondered if it was predictable, or if it was kind of a "swerve" for the time.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I had no idea it would be Lex. He didn't even cross my mind. He was in the midst of a good run as the Narcissist and since heels didn't feud with heels...Definitely came off as a 'swerve' to me at the time.

Tbh, I had no pick at the time. But a lot of the other old timers who were around back then thought it was going to be Crush.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I had no idea it would be Lex. He didn't even cross my mind. He was in the midst of a good run as the Narcissist and since heels didn't feud with heels...Definitely came off as a 'swerve' to me at the time.

Tbh, I had no pick at the time. But a lot of the other old timers who were around back then thought it was going to be Crush.
Me neither and for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I've always felt Luger was the right person to do it, but the American hero was just the wrong character for him and I didn't dislike Luger as a face.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks guys, I just always thought I missed something as a kid... I remembered the narcissist, but then, all of a sudden, it was the all American. I didn't know if it was something in the making or what... I too thought crush would do it.... Anyway, thanks for the heads up! I thought I just missed something!

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say, I thought it was gonna be Crush who did that, I can't remember fully what I thought at the time, but it was probably along the lines of 'Oh here we go' in regards to the Lex Luger thing, knowing that he was gonna do it when he landed from the helicopter.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Wow, thanks guys, I just always thought I missed something as a kid... I remembered the narcissist, but then, all of a sudden, it was the all American. I didn't know if it was something in the making or what... I too thought crush would do it.... Anyway, thanks for the heads up! I thought I just missed something!
Not at all. After Flair and Hogan didn't happen, it came as a huge shock to me to see Vince pushing Luger to the main event.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not at all. After Flair and Hogan didn't happen, it came as a huge shock to me to see Vince pushing Luger to the main event.
Maybe it was just me being a kid and liking EVERYTHING... But I feel like he did a decent job leading wwf/main eventing... But, again, I was like 7 at the time, so everything was good to me.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Maybe it was just me being a kid and liking EVERYTHING... But I feel like he did a decent job leading wwf/main eventing... But, again, I was like 7 at the time, so everything was good to me.
I loved Luger as the Narcissist. He was my favorite wrestler from Royal Rumble 93 until Lawler and Yoko supplanted him at KOTR. Yeah, I was a young heel fan. I thought the loaded forearm was so badass and this one time he went crazy with some sweet jobber killing when this ham and egger had the gall to look into Luger's mirror. I always thought that was brill. It made Luger seem like a egomaniacal narcissist AND a psycho.

But I HATED "Made In The USA" Lex Luger. I was so glad to finally be rid of Hulk "Killer of Childhoods" Hogan. Then they give us a fake Hogan AND kill my beloved Narcissist all in one fell swoop. I wanted my man Yoko to squash his candy ass.

But now I've done....well, not a complete 180, but at least a 120. Luger "failed" because WWF didn't go all the way with his push. You can't push your top babyface as a choke artist. Especially back then. Luger had all this hype and build for Summerslam. It was sooo obvious even to my little mark self that Luger was taking the title from Yoko....only he didn't. Never before in the 6+ years I'd been watching WWF had a face failed in the big match after that much buildup. The Lex Luger superpush was forever doomed after that.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I have always wondered why Vince gave up on him so quick. I have heard he could be difficult to work with. I really didn't like them calling him the Narcissist and think the same character just going by Lex Luger would have been great in a long feud with bret. Luger has never been top face material in my opinion, but has some quality face work.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Twilight Zone, I was just talking to someone about the Lex Luger/Yokozuna fued last night. :lmao

I thought Crush could've done it too. He clearly was capable of it. If you watch the video, he picks up Yoko entirely for the slam but then does the "failed slam attempt" spot.

Even when Lex comes out though he gets booed, then he gets cheered. I'm not sure people truly expected it'd be him, but they just rallied behind him since he was the last guy to come out. He got such a grand enterance too, I think maybe it was kinda obvious it was gonna be him since they saved him for last. It was almost like a "save" situation.

Then again maybe I'm remembering wrong. I was 8-9 at the time.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It was great. When lex eventually slammed yoko I jumped up and down. I had no idea he would be there.

They only showed highlights of the bodyslam challenge of livewire I think at the time.

After this he went on the Lex express thing which was also great (at the time)

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Lex gave a lot of credit to Yoko in his book. He said that he had only practiced lifting Yoko in sneakers at the WWE offices. When he showed up to the Challenge, they wanted him to wear cowboy boots. He freaked out, because he didn't have enough steadiness to do it. He said Yoko was like "don't worry, bruddah. I'll do all the work." and Yoko made himself as light as possible and did the angling perfectly, to enable Lex to lift him easily.

A lot of workers say that Yoko was underrated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts