Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is remarkable what somebody can do when they make up their own stuff. Bryan himself had thought of yes since he got it from Diego Sanchez. He did it and now look at it: crowds are chanting it throughout the entire show, WWE is handing signs out with "YES" on it. Plus, is it true that the YES t-shirt is actually sold out on WWE.com? My goodness.

Zack Ryder had his own stuff to work with. He might not be as hot as he was but he wasn't given the ball: he created his own and ran with it like crazy.

Punk took how he felt and boosted himself to the #2 spot in the company and even #1 for a short bit.

Stone Cold and The Rock were able to make up their own stuff and that is how they got so big.

Not everybody can succeed with just any gimmick. I know that if I was in WWE, I could absolutely knock it out of the park if I was given control over my own gimmick with little to no restrictions but I wouldn't be the kind of worker who could take a bad gimmick (Dashing, Funkasaurus) and make it work.

YES is so simple and yet so popular with so many people in the WWE Universe. Bryan is on fire right now- mainly because he just was given the opportunity to make something up himself.

It makes me wonder who else out there could make it big if given the creativity to do something. For all we know, and this is by no means likely, there could be somebody on NXT right now who could dethrone Cena himself if given the permission to be creative and come up with his own gimmick. Stranger things have happened.

I hope Vince knows that if he lets his superstars have that creative freedom, they could take off. Which would mean more $$$ for Vince.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Agreed.
In all honesty any gimmick is better than no gimmick.
Id rather see a wrestler come down to the ring dressed as a handbag claiming to be a zombiefied piece of clothing from the Dolce and Gabbana range here to bring destruction on the fashion disaster that is John Cena than see someone come down to the same generic music with the same generic look and hit the same generic sto we see every week.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I agree. For all the talk of "writing teams" and "creative" all the biggest marketing ideas have come from the wrestlers themselves. Hogan created "Hulkamania", Austin came up with "Stone Cold" (well his wife did), he also came up with the "Austin 3:16" saying. The Rock had a Brahma Bull tattoo before it was really noticed and used on WWE TV and he came up with the "laying the smackdown" saying as well as all the other cool lines he's had over the years. Chris Jericho is the king of creating random saying and slogans, CM Punk and his own "cult of personality" based gimmicks like the "straight edge savior" etc, the Ryder Revolution and now Bryan with his "Yes" phenomenon.

All Vince does is market and package those ideas and push the guy who came up with it. Its very simple, and if done effectively (as we've seen) it can be very profitable for all parties involved. Vince just has to let it work and historically he has (for the most part).

Vince CAN make stars own his own with his team (Undertaker, Warrior, Cena, Batista) but its better for those ideas to come from the talent themselves.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
Not many people nowadays try to push the envelope past the stuff they get from creative team written. JR spoke about it on the Legends of Wrestling roundtable. It's like in this modern day many people are satisfied with their spot and the income they have so they don't want to push things and pitch ideas and leave that confort zone because they are afraid to get the boot if it doesn't happen as they hoped.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
many ppl might not feel its ok to change script, not like the 90s when japan was still big, andwcw was signing guys and paying them when not working, or even ecw. there really isnt another place to make good money outside of the wwe. even if someone went to mexico, if you dont know spanish how long can you really make it down there. today a guy comes up with an idea if they use it and it doesnt work youre screwed, or they wont let you use it and its like well i gave my effort and got nothing for it. even with the guys mentioned, how much more money is say ryder making now compared to last yr, cm punk is pretty much the same, and bryan from every we've seen is wwe really going to let this run for awhile because it wasnt their big master plan? i agree wrestlers need to have some control so they can work out the best gimmick, but at the same time theres the risk reward is such a gap,many may feel better to have a decent job than no job.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Mr. Kennedy/Anderson came up with repeating his name, and that got him over quite quickly in WWE before he fucked up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree the reason why half the roster is not over, is because they are lazy and dont push creative ideas. Miz, DB and Ryder all came up with their own stuff and it got them pushed, even Utonga came up with his gemmick(which is great).

I would like to see some guys like ziggler and tyson kidd try something new, but apperently they are happy with their current situation.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did Otunga come up with his gimmick? Good stuff.

That is too bad about Ziggler and Kidd being happy where they are at. Yet that is how some people feel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not everybody can succeed with just any gimmick. I know that if I was in WWE, I could absolutely knock it out of the park if I was given control over my own gimmick with little to no restrictions but I wouldn't be the kind of worker who could take a bad gimmick (Dashing, Funkasaurus) and make it work.
btw great post overall, but this part just killed it i have actually wrestling training and have wrestled a few matches. Your gemmick in your head might not be as good as your think and it takes a special talent to make your gimmick work is just what i have learned.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Honestly who knows if these guys have any good ideas. You don't always get a chance to develop your own character in developmental, and today's indy promotions are totally 'in-ring' based, which is a big departure from back in the day w/ the territories, AWA, NWA, ECW, etc. guys get called up to the main roster as long as they can wrestle well enough and do what they are told, it is a total crapshoot as to whether they have any real creative talent, or even know how to go about creating an interesting tv character for themselves.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes! Yes! Yes!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Absolutely WWE Creative rarely finds anything that can really connect with the crowd recently.
Which is why all wrestlers should have more freedom when it comes to promos, instead of following scripts which contain no substance and horrible jokes.

Then again, I find that today's wrestlers have no drive in them, they're all content with the position that they're in, and then when somebody from the Attitude Era comes back, they get all butthurt, even though they'll never be as over or draw more than these returning wrestlers.
It all comes to them being proactive and really trying to make a name for themselves instead of relying on creative to give them something, even though 90% is absolute garbage.
Their motto is "Creative isn't giving me a chance" even though they're not doing anything for themselves

Ziggler is the one that stands out to me in terms of trying to get himself over, it's worked in my eyes, but he still hasn't been given the proper chance.

Only people that have benefited solely on WWE booking and gimmicks is Brodus, Santino, John Cena and Mark Henry

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
(Undertaker, Warrior, Cena, Batista) but its better for those ideas to come from the talent themselves.
The Undertaker he technically created, yes. But since the Ministry days, Taker has had a hand in shaping his own future and style, noticeable with ABA gimmick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts