Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most years the Royal Rumble Match is the biggest selling point of the pay per view. What years do you think there was a match on the card that was actually a bigger selling point for the pay per view than the Royal Rumble Match?

One that comes to mind is 2013 when Rock challenged CM Punk for the title. Rock is obviously a huge draw and Punk was on fire with his heel run. He had a streak of over 400 consecutive days as WWE Champion and everyone wanted to see if Rock would beat him for the title.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
2015 Rumble. Brock/Cena/Rollins was the hottest match on card. No one really cared about the Rumble until Bryan got eliminated

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2015 Rumble. Brock/Cena/Rollins was the hottest match on card. No one really cared about the Rumble until Bryan got eliminated
It was a good match but I doubt that's what drew most fans in. We just saw Cena and Brock wrestle at Summer Slam and Night of Champions, and Rollins wasn't even a main eventer yet.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,502 Posts
Probably 2013. Rock vs. Punk was easily the main selling point of the ppv that year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I don't think this was a bigger selling point, Undertaker vs. Yokozuna in 1994 at least challenged it. It was a casket match and Yokozuna was acting afraid of the Undertaker. A lot of people thought for sure that there was going to be a title change that night.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would argue RR 2000 mainly due to the incredible job they did hyping up the title match between Cactus Jack/HHH, and it predictably stole the entire show as a result.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
1998 Royal Rumble. Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker casket match was a bigger deal, since it main evented that year's Royal Rumble and was the last match in the original Michaels-Undertaker series. The main story of the ’98 Rumble match was Austin vs everyone due his ambushes on the rest of the roster in the run up to it, so that match didn’t matter much until he came out.

A case could be made for the ’97 Royal Rumble as well, with the return match of Shawn Michaels vs Sycho Sid being a far bigger deal than the Rumble match, with it being set in HBK’s hometown and all.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
While I don't think this was a bigger selling point, Undertaker vs. Yokozuna in 1994 at least challenged it. It was a casket match and Yokozuna was acting afraid of the Undertaker. A lot of people thought for sure that there was going to be a title change that night.
I was going to say this one, you beat me to it.

There was a huge build to that match with all the scenes of Undertaker building the extra big casket and Yokozuna being terrified.

Also makes you wonder why all heels don't just do what Yokozuna did to win a no DQ match lol

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
Yeah, 2013 was the only one that immediately came to mind. At least in the past 20 years.

If 2015 had Triple H/Sting like it should have done (so Sting faced Taker at WM) it would have a case.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As a kid 1991 was a big deal because it was the first time the then WWF world title was defended at the rumble. Sgt. Slaughter won the belt from the Ultimate Warrior which shocked the hell out of kids like me. We all thought Warrior was going to kick Slaughter’s ass setting up a rematch with Hogan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts