Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Administrator
59,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been around much in this section the last couple weeks or so, but the posts I've read here and all around the IWC are insane. You would think Daniel Bryan, HBK and Austin returned to the ring for one night only on the same night with the super marking over a lifelong, lifetime curtain jerking jobber in Jinder Mahal becoming WWE Champion.

Does wins and losses not matter anymore? This hyper marking feels like one big troll job by the IWC. How is anyone suppose to believe he suddenly has these many fans after very few people (next to nobody) gave a fuck about him for years?

How can I buy him as WWE Champion? How is he credible after a lifelong career of being a comedy character and jobber? Especially when his sudden push has literally been what, 6 weeks? What happened to building stars? What happened to believe-ability? At least when Balor beat Roman and beat Rollins for the Universal title, he was the top guy in NXT and had some kind of credibility by default.

The main reason WWE is doing this is in hopes of expanding their market in India, but if that fails then you just compromised your show and possibly your ratings which meant your booking has caused viewers to turn off your product. (Not like they haven't been turning off anyway over the last few years, but the goal is to not make it worse.)

If the WWE network never existed, I'd have a hard time believing Vince McMahon would give Mahal the WWE title. He probably wouldn't even put him in the WWE title match since he knows it wouldn't draw and fans are paying $50 for each PPV instead of $9.99 a month for the WWE network.

I'm all for developing new stars, but it has to be done right. I would have tolerated Jinder as US Champion much more than WWE Champion. Would it have been the same US title reign that every foreigner/anti-American has like Rusev? Sure. Would it be more believable than being WWE Champion? Yes. Would I still have concerns over the super push toward the US title? Yes, but it's not the top title so it's more tolerable and believable. Currently I view the US title as more important than the WWE title.

I don't care how hard he works on his body or how good his body looks. No homo. I don't care that he has veins popping out his body and looks like an evil supervillain on Aladdin or some shit. If you are not suppose to be in that spot due to the way you've been booked for years, then the backstage "he works hard" excuse doesn't cut it.

So, ya'll done yet or you gonna keep this troll job up? I refuse to believe there's this many Mahal fans. It just seems like suddenly everyone is throwing logic out the window.

·
When you don't have a match on the show
3,745 Posts
If the same thing happens with Mojo Rawley I may give this place a break :Rollins

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Yay Jinder is great, fucking Champ, everybody pretends to be his mark, but actually shitting inside,
yet another Jinder Thread.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
From a kayfabe point of view, Jinder winning the title is very believable. He was always a pretty weak guy in the past, but now he has suddenly got on a run. Not only did he get on a run, but he enlisted two guys to help him. With those two things combined, he managed to cheat his way to the title.

In real life sports, shit like this happens all the time. Look at Leicester City winning the Premier League. Or huge MMA upsets like Werdum submitting Fedor or GSP getting knocked out by Matt Serra. That shit was way more unlikely than Jinder cheating to win a title.

As far as entertainment goes, his match was one of the better matches at Backlash, and completely shat on the previous WWE title match between Orton and Wyatt. And his Punjabi Celebration was one of the best segments of the week, which is why it has almost 3 million views on Youtube, more than double the second most popular video from this week.

Thirdly, WWE marketing to India is not a problem at all. Every wrestler who has ever been given a WWE title has gotten it because Vince believed they could make him money. Jinder is no different to anyone else who came before him. If Vince believes he is the best choice to be champion right now for financial reasons, then he absolutely deserves to hold the gold.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
19,268 Posts
I don't think wins/losses have mattered in the WWE for years.

I'm not a Jinder mark, never have been and to be honest probably never will be - whether it's done for the Indian market or not, I still think they made the mistake of having him win the belt as a heel. #

I remember one Talking Smack episode where he came across very well - about how he worked very hard, got off the alcohol and set a goal to become champion. That wasn't a heel promo and if he had been built up a little bit, got some wins and was then somehow thrust into the main event spotlight as a face against a heel champion, it may have been a bit better for him when it comes to fans.

It could have shown to the more casual fan or the kids that even though you could have a real shitty time for years, if you work hard and set your goals, you could make something of yourself and one day become Champion. Problem now is, he's a heel. So the casuals and the kids aren't supposed to be cheering this guy that they've already seen half the roster beat.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I hope not, at least with the Jinder threads I can have a laugh about them as it just reminds me how stupid this whole thing is. Also if they're to stop, we'll just get back to non-stop Roman Reigns threads and its been nice that they've calmed down now.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm tired of people who are getting :triggered over people liking Mahal.

All big time stars had fans because they were booked that way. They have just started presenting Jinder as a star and people are liking what they're seeing. What's the problem? Sure, some people are trolling with their hyperbole but I'm glad he's the champ. About time WWE does something different. The Jinder Mahal Championship Celebration was the best thing about WWE tv this week.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,314 Posts
Small part of them are long time fan (or semi fan) of the guy. Some of them strong booking fans that will forget him the moment his moment in the sun ends. Some of them are trolls. Some of them likes the guy's body. Some of them likes him as the representative of being 'anti-smark'. Some of them just likes chaos.

Unique situation lol.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Jinder has done what very few heels do these days, fluked his way to a title. He won a 6 pack challenge, where, and i've said this a ton of times in the past, in kayfabe terms, you DON'T have to be the best wrestler, you need to be in the right place in the right time, which Jinder was, plus, he had interference. He's gotten all of his wins via dirty tactics, does that make him an undeserving champion? Maybe, but he's meant to be, they're not marketing him as a great wrestler, they mention the effort he's put in sure, but they labelled him beating Orton as a huge upset, which it certainly was, plus he's a heel, so it's not as if people are meant to buy into the guy as a dominant force or a worthy champion.

For me, Jinder has done superbly since becoming number one contender, his character makes sense to me, and while he's not the greatest wrestler in the world, he's been doing what he needs to.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
Jinder has done what very few heels do these days, fluked his way to a title. He won a 6 pack challenge, where, and i've said this a ton of times in the past, in kayfabe terms, you DON'T have to be the best wrestler, you need to be in the right place in the right time, which Jinder was, plus, he had interference. He's gotten all of his wins via dirty tactics, does that make him an undeserving champion? Maybe, but he's meant to be, they're not marketing him as a great wrestler, they mention the effort he's put in sure, but they labelled him beating Orton as a huge upset, which it certainly was, plus he's a heel, so it's not as if people are meant to buy into the guy as a dominant force or a worthy champion.

For me, Jinder has done superbly since becoming number one contender, his character makes sense to me, and while he's not the greatest wrestler in the world, he's been doing what he needs to.
The thing is, as a heel who fluked his way to a title, it contradicts the whole purpose of him being pushed, which is being a megastar in India and by having him as a megastar in India getting more subscribers there. I remember someone posted that in India there is still a large amount of people who believes in the storylines as "real" or as close to real as possible. With that being said, how well represented or identified those indian fans would be with a guy who cheats in every match? It doesn't make any sense. Khali got over in India because, besides being booked strong from the beggining, he won clean his matches, hell, he KO Taker with a chop to the head and cover him just using his feet. If I was a kid or a fan that is someone I aspire to be, a guy so powerful that beats one of the biggest WWE legends convingcinly, not a guy who needs the help of 2 other guys. That's why I believe this whole experiment probably won't work.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The thing is, as a heel who fluked his way to a title, it contradicts the whole purpose of him being pushed, which is being a megastar in India and by having him as a megastar in India getting more subscribers there. I remember someone posted that in India there is still a large amount of people who believes in the storylines as "real" or as close to real as possible. With that being said, how well represented or identified those indian fans would be with a guy who cheats in every match?
That's a myth. If you read the comment section of this video, the majority of the Indian fans know it's a work:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Plenty of us in the crowd in Chiacago were very happy especially my one armed bandito buddy. Some people do enjoy things being different and don't take this shit too seriously. I agree they should have built him up a bit but damn the reactions on here have been priceless.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
The thing is, as a heel who fluked his way to a title, it contradicts the whole purpose of him being pushed, which is being a megastar in India and by having him as a megastar in India getting more subscribers there. I remember someone posted that in India there is still a large amount of people who believes in the storylines as "real" or as close to real as possible. With that being said, how well represented or identified those indian fans would be with a guy who cheats in every match? It doesn't make any sense. Khali got over in India because, besides being booked strong from the beggining, he won clean his matches, hell, he KO Taker with a chop to the head and cover him just using his feet. If I was a kid or a fan that is someone I aspire to be, a guy so powerful that beats one of the biggest WWE legends convingcinly, not a guy who needs the help of 2 other guys. That's why I believe this whole experiment probably won't work.
I see your point, honestly though i think the difference between the two lies purely in stature. Khali was booked right off the bat to be a big deal, and to make an impact, because he was incredibly big. Despite the fact that he was pretty terrible, in terms of realism, it made a great deal of sense, no-one had seen him before, so when you bring this 7'2, 400 pound guy in, then you expect him to be dominant. Jinder on the other hand, despite being in good shape, has been used as a jobber for years, if you bring him over to SDL and instantly have him running through guys like Styles, Zayn and Orton clean, then there's a big question mark as to what exactly is happening, and why Jinder has never been able to do this in the past.

But he hasn't, he's used the help of the Singhs, Owens, etc. to win his matches, honestly if he had been booked as a dominant contender, and champion, then people would probably be even more triggered than they are right now. That to me also makes a lot of sense. And to be honest, i think the Indian superstars appeal to Indian fans purely because of the fact that they're Indian, i'm not sure a great deal else matters to them. It's the same for most other countries, Wade Barrett was always over in England, Becky is over in Ireland, i've no doubt the likes of Billie, Peyton etc. are over in Australia, Cesaro is big in Europe, the list goes on. Maybe some of the Indian fans do think it's real, and if so, then they won't care about all the nitty gritty stuff, they'll actually dislike Jinder, because he's a heel, but i imagine a lot of people over there are just happy that one of their own is WWE champion more than anything else

Reactions: Lothario

·
Banned
77 Posts
This whole thing is just Vince having his cake and eating it too.

He is going to push Mahal to take advantage of the India market and then he will have Cena squash this guy and break the title record. So, he will make his money and then he will feed his Cena fetish. That's all it really is.

Vince McMahon is all about Vince McMahon. He doesn't give a shit what his viewers want.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts