Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
my socks are wet
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sunday Dec. 15, the WWE will combine the World Heavyweight (held by John Cena) and WWE Championships (held by Randy Orton) to determine the "Champion of Champions."

A match that should've been built up for months and ultimately led to a huge encounter at WrestleMania 30 was instead thrown together with little thought and even worse execution.

The combining of the company's two major titles should've been treated like a once in a lifetime event -- even though WWE did something similar 12 years ago -- that fans simply could not miss. In theory the match would be between the two biggest stars in the company and would help elevate them to heights they'd not yet reached.

But how can the WWE expect fans to show an interest in this match when neither champion has done anything to legitimize their own title reigns?

Orton was essentially handed the WWE Championship during his feud with Daniel Bryan. Not once during the series of matches with Bryan did Orton win without interference or help from another party. In his Survivor Series match with Big Show, Orton again was aided by Triple H before scoring the win.

Without a string of clean wins over legitimate competition, Orton will not be taken seriously as a champion. Even though he is no fan favorite, Orton needed to prove to fans he was worthy of holding the belt. Ric Flair and Triple H weren't always the most popular guys, but they still defended their titles without help and gave credibility to their reigns.

That brings us to Cena. A few months ago, when Cena returned from injury, he said he wanted to bring credibility to the World Heavyweight Championship. He wanted to make people perceive it as an equal championship to Orton's.

After easily disposing of Alberto Del Rio, Cena won that belt and began his quest to legitimize his title. The problem is that was only two months ago. It hasn't even been 45 days and yet we're supposed to believe that he's legitimized the title?

It doesn't help that we've seen Cena and Orton feud before, multiple times in fact, over the last few years. While both are no doubt superstars in the wrestling business, fans eventually get sick of seeing the same two guys feud over and over again.

The WWE has presented this match as "epic" and has tried to say that never have the top two wrestlers of their generations faced off with so much on the line. I guess Steve Austin and The Rock were washed up when they feuded.

But even if the WWE wanted to go with Cena vs. Orton, building it up over a few months would have done more to make fans want to pay to see it. Triple H could've come out on "Raw" a couple weeks ago and announced that the main event at WrestleMania 30 would be Cena and Orton in a unification match. Then, much like how Cena and The Rock was handled a couple years ago, the two could've had different matches against other opponents or with each other to "prepare" for the big match.

The winner of the Royal Rumble could've been awarded a title match at SummerSlam as a way to keep interest, and fans would have the proper amount of time to get invested in a unification match.

Sadly, the WWE elected to just throw together the match -- in a tables, ladders and chairs setting no less -- at a pay-per-view that only the most diehard fans will order. The WWE could throw us a curveball and not have a winner Sunday, but they've advertised the match as "there must be a winner," and I highly doubt they're planning on screwing the fans again.

At least, not purposely…
- Matt Durr, Yahoo Commentary

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Re: Yahoo! Article:The WWE dropped the ball with its unification match at TLC This Su

Best part of this article is the writer's name. Matt f'n Durr.

·
Lurking. Always lurking.
4,725 Posts
Re: Yahoo! Article:The WWE dropped the ball with its unification match at TLC this Su

I guess we all have our way of thinking how things should have been. Durrr's idea of a unification match buildup for WM sounds beyond boring to me. I'd honestly rather see things play out the way they are now, than in his alternate timeline.

Also, sentences like "I guess Steve Austin and The Rock were washed up when they feuded" don't really help his cause either; I mean sure, sometimes it's necessary to exaggerate to make a point, but here it's just a tad superfluous. WWE never claimed anything of the sort, and building up a match like Orton v Cena for the unificated title by pileing on the superlatives is nothing but expected.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Re: Yahoo! Article:The WWE dropped the ball with its unification match at TLC This Su

Nothing new. They rushed this unification match because they didn't know what else to do with Cena and Orton. Cena should have defended the World Title a while longer, meanwhile also talking about his ambition to one day unify the titles and be the undisputed champ. Then do the unification match at Royal Rumble or WrestleMania. RAW also showed that the fans see Bryan as the true champ, not Orton. Hell, Bryan beat Cena clean at Summerslam and he beat Orton clean. Technically he's "above" both men, yet they insist on Cena/Orton.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
Re: Yahoo! Article:The WWE dropped the ball with its unification match at TLC this Su

Without a string of clean wins over legitimate competition, Orton will not be taken seriously as a champion. Even though he is no fan favorite, Orton needed to prove to fans he was worthy of holding the belt. Ric Flair and Triple H weren't always the most popular guys, but they still defended their titles without help and gave credibility to their reigns.
Hurr Durr. Heels aren't supposed to make fans think they're worthy of holding the title. Look at JBL. He was a legit champion who almost NEVER won clean. It's about legitimizing the idea that the champion will win through any means necessary. Not legitimizing the Champion himself. No one thought JBL was worthy but they damn sure took his defenses seriously because he was always smiling on the next SD with the gold still intact. You shouldn't feel that the bad guy is worthy of holding the title, that makes the eventual loss less impactful for the face less satisfying for the fans. When Cena finally took the belt from JBL, who everyone knew was beatable but always won anyway (sometimes through blind luck), that put Cena over the over.

Back to present day, Cena has legitimized the world title by holding it, plain and simple. If Del Rio had walked out and challenged Orton, it would've been shat on worse than anything and Del Rio was in the picture all year.

And do I need to explain how stupid building this until Wrestlemania would've been? Orton is NO Rock.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Apparently the WWE have other plans for WrestleMania and didn't want the unification to happen then. If they announce it now then fans will get bored just waiting for that match. Actually I like having the unification done early for several reasons:

1- We will finally get one champion sooner than later and all WWE title matches from now on would be a bigger deal.
2- This way, it will free a couple of guys to challenge for the Royal Rumble match.
3- The winner of the Royal Rumble will have a clear path on who he will go against and not to have to choose between either championship. We've seen it before and knew exactly which championship the winner of the Rumble will go after like Cena last year and Sheamus the year before. Everybody knew that Cena will go after the Rock and Sheamus will go after Daniel Bryan.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts

They came up with this out of desperation to stop the buyrates from dropping any further, as opposed to a natural progression towards it.

Fans all over the place were talking about a unification at some point and I guess they picked up on the interest and went with it. The idea is perfectly fine, but as many have pointed out, it's wrongly timed and also between two characters that are not legitimate at this point. This is not to say that the match shouldn't be between Orton and Cena, but not the current characters these two represent because of exactly the way they both happened upon their current reigns.

The unresolved issue of Bryan hangs over this title unification match like a dark cloud. The very least they could've done is tried to resolve that storyline before progressing onto this one. Giving him a post unification match will bring a lot of interest in that match, just not this one.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

Hurr Durr. Heels aren't supposed to make fans think they're worthy of holding the title. Look at JBL. He was a legit champion who almost NEVER won clean. It's about legitimizing the idea that the champion will win through any means necessary. Not legitimizing the Champion himself. No one thought JBL was worthy but they damn sure took his defenses seriously because he was always smiling on the next SD with the gold still intact. You shouldn't feel that the bad guy is worthy of holding the title, that makes the eventual loss less impactful for the face less satisfying for the fans. When Cena finally took the belt from JBL, who everyone knew was beatable but always won anyway (sometimes through blind luck), that put Cena over the over.

Back to present day, Cena has legitimized the world title by holding it, plain and simple. If Del Rio had walked out and challenged Orton, it would've been shat on worse than anything and Del Rio was in the picture all year.

And do I need to explain how stupid building this until Wrestlemania would've been? Orton is NO Rock.
Not all heel reigns are meant to look like that though......During Ortons "Age of Orton" title reign he beat HBK at Surv. Ser., Jeff Hardy at RR, and HHH & Cena at WM cleanly before he lost the title...It made for a very legitimate title reign especially since I think that was the first WM match that Cena ever lost...

But with the way WWE has booked Orton in this title reign about how he needs the Authority to win and how he has gotten lazy, makes me think that he is going to end up the winner at TLC...and he will prob do it without the authorities help...

·
Registered
825 Posts

That is why I laugh every time I hear people complaining about Orton not winning clean. Have these people never watched the WWE or wrestling before? Heels are not supposed to be winning title matches clean? They are bad guys who cheat because they are supposed to be inferior to the face. Does anybody remember Triple H as the WHC when almost every title match had interference from Ric Flair, Randy Orton, and/or Batista.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts

This match is no more rushed than the previous unification match. WrestleMania doesn't set up for a unification match because the winner of the Royal Rumble gets an automatic shot at the belt. What a dumb*** suggesting to take away the prestige of the Rumble win.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts

Nothing new. They rushed this unification match because they didn't know what else to do with Cena and Orton. Cena should have defended the World Title a while longer, meanwhile also talking about his ambition to one day unify the titles and be the undisputed champ. Then do the unification match at Royal Rumble or WrestleMania. RAW also showed that the fans see Bryan as the true champ, not Orton. Hell, Bryan beat Cena clean at Summerslam and he beat Orton clean. Technically he's "above" both men, yet they insist on Cena/Orton.
Yeah so in that case you can argue it makes sense to do it at TLC, I do wonder what the Undisputed Title match will be at WrestleMania though, I mean you would think it would have to be 'bigger' prestige wise than Orton/Cena otherwise what's the point.

Punk/Bryan
Cena/Punk
Cena/Bryan

Are there options really if they want something to feel 'bigger'.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,645 Posts

article is 100% correct

not sure what intense degree of stockholm syndrome you would need to have to agree with the current direction

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts

Just like when Jericho unified the titles, the build up hasn't been all that.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

I :ti @ anyone who thinks this will end cleanly. Either both will come down with a belt or Triple H will take them for himself or some other kind of fuckery will happen. Zero percent chance it ends with Cena or Orton winning cleanly and walking out as the undisputed champion.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts

Not all heel reigns are meant to look like that though......During Ortons "Age of Orton" title reign he beat HBK at Surv. Ser., Jeff Hardy at RR, and HHH & Cena at WM cleanly before he lost the title...It made for a very legitimate title reign especially since I think that was the first WM match that Cena ever lost...
That's why people started cheering for Orton but JBL pretty much got universal heat. It can work for a bit, but the guy will eventually be made to turn. Which I guess is what you want with a young talent like Orton who they might've been testing for the number one position. But if you're building a big match, it's almost always best for one guy to go in wi as much heat as possible and the other guy to be as loved as possible.

·
Banned
13,572 Posts

Im happy that this match is happening now rather then at wm

Reactions: WWETopTen

·
Banned
5,106 Posts

I :ti @ anyone who thinks this will end cleanly. Either both will come down with a belt or Triple H will take them for himself or some other kind of fuckery will happen. Zero percent chance it ends with Cena or Orton winning cleanly and walking out as the undisputed champion.
It's a TLC match...there is no way it can end cleanly.

Odds are, one of them are going to walk out as the Undisputed Champion. And going by logic, this is the most likely scenario.

·
my socks are wet
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I like the fact that it's happening now. Get it out of the way before Wrestlemania season.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,325 Posts

I agree with the fact that I would rather the belts be unified at Wrestlemania. But there is some terrible ideas/reasoning in this article.

Having the Rumble winner get a title shot at Summerslam is a terrible idea. Summerslam and the Rumble are 7-8 months apart. What is the winner supposed to do for such a long period of time before he gets his shot?

Cena not being a legitimate champion is a pretty dumb thing to say as well. He's John Cena. He's a credible champion just by being the champion.

The unworthy heel champion part is pretty silly as well. That's the whole point of a cowardly heel champion. You make them look like unworthy champions so people want them to drop the belts. I was also left wondering if he's seen many Flair matches when Flair was the champion and a heel. Flair has probably been involved in more BS finishes and time limit draws where he looked on the verge of losing then any other wrestler in history.

·
Banned
5,216 Posts

If they plan on this feud going all the way to WM, then it'll fail because its already being shit on right now before TLC, no way it lasts until Mania.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts