Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as its that time of the year, what are some Xmas (dont want to offend none Christians :rolleyes: ) movies you guys have always enjoyed as a kid or ones you still do?

For me it will always be the Muppet Christmas Carrol or if it counts, The Nightmare before Christmas :)

·
Thank You Randy Savage.
3,773 Posts
Always loved National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Polar Express is pretty cool. Miracle on 34th Street is also one of my favourites. Ah hell, I love most Xmas movies. :eek:

·
hello
19,553 Posts
Die Hard and Lethal Weapon are both set at Christmas time. As is Enemy of the State. 8*D

And they all own. Bad Santa of course is fucking hilarious.

As for actual xmas movies, my little cousin always brings Sesame Street Christmas with him when he comes over on xmas eve (it was made in like the 70's, I used to have it on VHS apparently) and he always watches it, I've watched it with him a few times, surprisingly funny if incredibly kiddy. Flinstones had a christmas special movie I quite enjoyed when I was younger and then there's the Muppet/Lampoon/Miracle on 34th street ones that are on EVERY year over here.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Jingle All The Way. It's just not Christmas without it.

The first two Die Hards and Home Alones are also essential.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
Frosty the snowman, Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, Santa claus is coming to town, The Santa Claus, The grinch (original), Christmas Vacation, Nightmare before christmas, Charlie Brown christmas, A christmas carol (new and old) , flintstones christmas, All the christmas specials of TV shows,

i love christmas :$

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Movies -

Christmas Story - i'll usually watch it at least two times during the marathon TBS (or TNT)puts on. I try not to watch it until then so i dont get sick of it.

Christmas Vacation - a classic

TV shows -

Twilight Zone - the drunk department store Santa episode

Andy Griffith Show - the one with Ben Weaver trying to get himself thrown in jail

Frasier - the one where Frasier gets in a fight with his dad and works on Xmas, then gets mistaken for a bum in the restaurant.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
Frosty the snowman, Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, Santa claus is coming to town, The Santa Claus, The grinch (original), Christmas Vacation, Nightmare before christmas, Charlie Brown christmas, A christmas carol (new and old) , flintstones christmas, All the christmas specials of TV shows, Elmo Saves Christmas, sesame street christmas, Muppets christmas

i love christmas :$
forgot, Elmo Saves Christmas, sesame street christmas, Muppets christmas

i spend a lot of time over the holidays watching christmas movies :$

·
Registered
139 Posts
Must sees for me every year:

A Christmas Story (I'm actually going to watch a play based on this movie in a couple of hours)
Christmas Vacation
Elf

·
The Whole F'n Show
5,365 Posts
Used to love 'The Snowman' as a kid. Watched it last year for the first time in ages, and was struck down by nostalgia. I also love 'Home Alone', 'Die Hard' and 'Jingle All The Way'.

·
Premium Member
43,668 Posts
Ah! I did a Top 20 Christmas movies in the General Film Thread, but I guess it would fit better here, lol.

Cut & paste!

I'll believe it when I see it. Would be great if it actually happened.

OK, its Christmas so, here are my TOP 20 FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SPECIALS & MOVIES!!!

Keep in mind that this is being ranked on a scale of how much I enjoy these films during the Holiday Season and not so much which film is the best. Most of these I only watch during this time of the year.

20) Die Hard 2: Die Harder (1990) = The sequel to the original Die Hard is very enjoyable for a sequel. Sure it falls into the same traps as a lot of sequels by basically repeating the same story & situation as the first with the only major change being the setting, but its a bad ass action movie, which is what Die Hard is all about. Clashing the blood & guts action with the Christmas season is something I always found hilarious, and the snowy setting on makes it more obvious here. Also, while its the weakest of the Die Hards, I'd say it has the best use of the "Yippee Kai Yay Mother****er" line.

19) The Nativity Story (2006) = Without sounding overly preachy, it is nice to have a movie that does justice to the story of Christmas. Its scripturally accurate, but scripture doesn't give us much detail and some of the artistic liberties they took were pretty interesting, namely the reactions to Mary's situation & the portrayal of The Wise Men. Its also a nice looking film, perfectly capturing the setting & the time period. Speaking as someone who was raised in a Catholic Household, there are somethings that could have been done better, but all in all, its very well made.

18) The Snowman (1982) = There were many animated Christmas specials that I recall seeing in my youth. There were obviously the Rankin Bass specials & many more by the likes of Disney & Hannah Barbara. However, this is one that is a cut above the rest. There is no dialogue, and the story is told purely through wonderfully animated visuals & beautiful music. Its a basic story of a kid playing with his Snowman that magically came to life. Its very basic, but its beautiful to watch.

17) A Muppet Family Christmas (1987) = Jim Henson and the emotions of joy & happiness brought on by the Christmas season is a perfect marriage. I can't think of any one man who brought more joy to my childhood than Henson with wonderful characters like Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, & Miss Piggy being a consistent source of enjoyment for me. In this TV special, The Muppets spend Christmas at the farmhouse of Fozzie's mother and wackiness reigns throughout. Putting The Muppets in a Christmas setting along with The Sesame Street gang and even The Fraggles makes for a funny & enjoyable good time. Also, this is the only time you'll see The Swedish Chef try to cook Big Bird for dinner...if that doesn't peak your interest, what will?

16) Miracle on 34th Street (1947) = This is one of those obvious Christmas classics, but how can it not be? Its a nice story about faith as a harmless man claiming to be Santa Claus who brings happiness to almost everyone he encounters is put on trial as his sanity is put into question. I like how the film never even really says one way or the other if Kris Kringle is definitively Santa Claus except for a couple hints. The movie is all about faith, and its up to the audience if they believe he's the real Santa, but either way, the film maintains its charm & appeal to this day.

15) Gremlins (1984) = This is a really wacky one. I love movies that combine many different elements & genres (Ghostbusters for example) and this manages to be a comedy, fantasy, a horror film all in one with a Christmas setting. Its a lot of fun and I LOVE the Gremlins. Its the kind of puppet work you don't see anymore, but I sorely miss. Its an unconventional Christmas movie what with people being picked off left & right by murderous little demons, and that Santa Claus story has got to be one of the creepiest & uncomfortable movies I've ever heard in my life, but its a lot of fun. Its one of those movies I can't picture Christmas without.

14) Everybody Loves Raymond: The Toaster & The Christmas Photo (1998-99) = I always loved this show because I can see so much of my own family in The Barones. They seem like the family from hell, but to me, its just a normal Italian American family that you can count on to make even holidays harder than they need to be. Both of these episodes deal with Raymond's efforts to buy his parents the right Christmas gift as he's had a long string of disasters in pleasing them. In both instances here, Raymond fails yet again as his parents trade in the Toaster with a special engraved message & the Christmas family photo goes south when Debra''s parents show up. The awkwardness & oddness of these situations are hilarious and, unfortunately, I feel like I am getting a glance into my own future when I watch these.

13) Scrooged (1988) = I love A Christmas Carol, and this more modern retooling is very enjoyable. If you know the basics of the Dickens' tale, then you know what to expect here. Its the same story with all the same beats, only in a modern setting with the lead character being an ambitious TV executive who has lost sight of what really matters. But what really holds the film together are the talents involved, namely Bill Murray who just shines here. Now this isn't as good as his other Holiday classic, Groundhog Day, but around Christmas time, this is the one I like to watch. Its funny & entertaining, but maintains the heart & spirit of the original tale.

12) South Park: Woodland Critter Christmas (2004) = Forget any of the specials dealing with Mr. Hankey. THIS is the definitive South Park Christmas Special. If you know South Park, then what you see here won't surprise you, but name me another Christmas special that includes death, abortions, demons, and the Antichrist all alongside Santa Claus, A Manger Scene, and some adorable talking animals and I'll be shocked. The episode is hilarious because of all the curve balls it throws. The surprises never stop, & its so irreverent that its impossible not to laugh at it. South Park has had several good Christmas specials (Christmas in Canada is also a really good one) but this is the standout and is can't miss.

11) The Big Bang Theory: The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis (2008) = A fairly recent one, but its already become one of my favorites. It all hinges on the character of Dr. Sheldon Cooper, a genius with absolutely no social skills at all. He's basically all brain & no heart, as he believes Christmas to be nothing more than an exercise in frivolity. However, when he is given a Christmas gift by his perky neighbor Penny, he feels he has to reciprocate ("You haven't given me a gift. You've given me an obligation!"). He approaches the situation like its an equation that needs to be balanced. In the end though, Penny's gift touches Sheldon in a way that shocks him, and the end result is both heartwarming & laugh out loud hilarious. There is another story here as well as Leonard tries to deal with Penny getting a new boyfriend, and that gives the episode some heart, but its Sheldon who steals the show.

10) A Pinky & The Brain Christmas (1995) = Pinky & The Brain is one of the most intelligent & funny cartoons of its time. Two talking lab mice try to take over the world...and we root for them to succeed! Weird. Anyways, this episode revolves around Brain's latest scheme for World Domination, which involves utilizing Santa's Workshop to accomplish his plan. Its a pretty standard episode, but what really put it over the top was the ending, which actually brings tears to my eye every time I see it. I'm not kidding. Its as funny as any standard formulaic episode of the series, but the major twist at the ending really tugs at the heartstrings.

9) Die Hard (1988) = This isn't just a great action movie. This is THE action movie. It was a trendsetter for the genre that influenced films in the years that followed. It was a wonderfully display of perfectly eccentric characters and completely embraced the type of movie being presented. Again, its a very unconventional Christmas film, but it takes place on Christmas at a Christmas party, so in my mind, IT COUNTS!!! If it makes it easier for you, think of Hans Gruber as The Grinch & John McClane steps in & tries to save Christmas with gunshots & explosions galore.

8) Home Alone (1990) = Its odd, but I think I appreciate this movie more now than I did as a child. The slapstick & gags drew me to it in my youth, but there is alot more to the movie than that. The situation that young Kevin finds himself in is one that kids always dream of, and its interesting to see how he acts when he has the whole house to himself. I also really like the story of the mother doing anything & everything to get back home to her son. Its a childhood favorite that has aged really well. As for the sequels...skip 'em. 2 is basically the same movie with a different setting, 3 is forgettable & bad, and 4 is...well the less said about that one the better.

7) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) = I've talked about some of the specials that have contrasted Christmas with themes, visuals, & elements that don't belong, but that is most obvious here in this film. The Halloween images mixed in with those of Christmas is a very interesting concept. What really brings the film to life are amazing visuals brought about by wonderful stop motion animation and the music & songs, which are nothing short of brilliant. But its also a nice tale of Jack Skellington trying to find his identity as he learns to appreciate what he has. Its a generally pleasing film all around.

6) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) = I already talked about it with Everybody Loves Raymond, but I can definitely see my own family in The Griswolds. Clark's attempts to create the near impossible of a perfect family Christmas all go up in smoke and its non stop laughs all the way. All the troubles & hardships most of us experience in trying to enjoy the Holidays are magnified about a 100X as nothing goes right for poor Clark. However, the insanity concludes with a Christmas that no one will ever forget, and a wonderfully entertaining film.

5) The Small One (1978) = This animated tale from Disney is a real gem for the Holiday Season. Once you know the story & see the setting, you know exactly where the story is going, but I'll do my best not to spoil it anyway. Basically, what we get here is a story of friendship & loyalty as a boy has to sell his favorite donkey, The Small One. The boy agrees to do this, but only if he can find a suitable home for his friend, and their kindness & loyalty to each other eventually pays off in a big way. Its somewhat underrated, but I highly recommend checking it out if you can find it.

4) How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) = This is the definitive animated Christmas special. Nothing else has quite gotten the legacy that this animated special has. It has so many things to like about it. The wonderful animation of Chuck Jones gives us some very expressive characters, the music is perfect, the words of Suess' tale give it a nice poetic quality, the story is basic & entertaining, Karloff's voice is perfect, and THAT SONG!!! HOW PERFECT IS THAT SONG?!?! The Grinch tries to steal Christmas, but as in all Christmas specials, the negative nelly of the Holidays learns the true meaning of the season & redeems himself. But this one is done in such a unique & entertaining way, that it is nothing short of being classic. As for the live action version...skip it. What really hurts that film is that in explaining The Grinch's back story, I actually rooted for him to succeed because the Whos were such jerks.

3) A Christmas Story (1983) = You don't get shown on Christmas day for 24 hours straight without being a Christmas classic. Many consider this to be THE Christmas classic. I think the reason it has connected with so many people is that so many can identify with it. We see the Christmas season from the eyes of an 8 year old boy. The excitement, the build up, the joy, time with the family, etc. All of it is something that hits close for to a lot of people & I think it almost works as a flashback for anyone whoever enjoyed Christmas as a kid & there is nothing more charming than that.

2) It's a Wonderful Life (1946) = Its amazing that this movie bombed when it first came out. It just fascinating to see how one man has been able to have a positive impact on so many other people around him through selfless acts & general kindness. Sometimes, hardships make us lose sight of what we have & what's important, so its nice to see a story that serves as a reminder to just how good life really is. Also, I think this movie might just have the greatest happy ending of all time. Its truly one of the greatest "feel good" films of all time. Its been ripped off more times than I care to count, but the original has never lost its luster.

1) A Christmas Carol = Which version? Pick one. There are literally dozens to choose from. My personal favorites are the George C. Scott & Alister Sims versions. Both are very good in the role of Scrooge. For nostalgic reasons, I also have a lot of love for the Mickey Mouse & Muppet versions, which present the story in a way that is accessible for children while staying true to the Dickens' classic. Heck, I would even recommend checking out the book if you haven't read it. The story of Scrooge & his path of redemption is inspirational, & is one of the most recognizable stories of all time & pretty much goes hand in hand with Christmas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
10) A Pinky & The Brain Christmas (1995) = Pinky & The Brain is one of the most intelligent & funny cartoons of its time. Two talking lab mice try to take over the world...and we root for them to succeed! Weird. Anyways, this episode revolves around Brain's latest scheme for World Domination, which involves utilizing Santa's Workshop to accomplish his plan. Its a pretty standard episode, but what really put it over the top was the ending, which actually brings tears to my eye every time I see it. I'm not kidding. Its as funny as any standard formulaic episode of the series, but the major twist at the ending really tugs at the heartstrings.
I used to love Pinky & The Brain back in the day. I've never seen this episode though. I'll have to see if I can find it online someplace.

·
Ambrose & Cesaro 'nuff said!
1,987 Posts
Elf
Scrooged (Bill Murray FTW)
Santa Claus: The Movie (1985 version, not the Tim Allen shit)
It's a Wonderful Life

·
Exile on Main Street
1,001 Posts
Always like to watch these at christmas, even though a couple of them have nothing to do with christmas.

Scrooged
Bad Santa
Uncle Buck
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
The Snowman
Home Alone
The Polar Express
The Great Outdoors
Gremlins
Muppets Christmas Carol
Groundhog Day

1 - 20 of 29 Posts