Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
They were definitely entertaining. I like some of the different rules they have, such as going for a 1,2 or 3 point conversion. I really like the new kick-off idea as well. The XFL looks promising if it can maintain the momentum.

The football's a lot better than the first go round but still obviously minors. The kickoff rule is lowkey genius for safety purposes
I absolutely love what they are doing with kickoffs. Much safer and the guys can still make plays without running full speed down field and getting laid out or possibly hurt.

There's a lot of potential and I am really enjoying what they've done so far.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Was way better than I expected.

Pros:
Kickoff rule is really good. It keeps the kickoff as part of the game and limits the injuries. Seems like a win win

The sideline interviews are great. It really helps you get to know the player and coach relationship and it makes me realize how little access we get to that in the NFL. Hearing the conversation among the officials makes the viewer less critical of them IMO and gives more insight.

The extra point change is very interesting. It feels like it sets up so many different variables and strategies. I like that the kicker has been taken out of that.

The pace of play is better than the NFL. The games go quicker and the clock continuing to move is a good idea. I also like the much shorter halftime

The production was much better than expected. Camera angles, quality, graphics. All of it looked like NFL quality production

Cons:
The uniforms and nicknames aren't great. I hope those can be improved upon in the future. Maybe it is just bias cause they are new but some of the uniforms weren't great

Talent level is lower than the NFL which really isn't that much of a knock because of course it would be.

I don't think I quite understand the under 2 minute clock rules. I got lost a couple times when they were explaining it and it also seemed like people running the clock were confused by it too.

I never saw it come into play, but the double forward pass rule seems unnecessary. Feels gimmicky, I don't think they need it.

The rule where the kickoff has to reach a certain yard line makes sense because of the new lineups, but I worry about what will happen during really windy games. The punishment is pretty harsh (team gets the ball at opponents 45)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Honestly as far as day 1 goes, I am enjoying this fine as "a thing that exists between the end of the NFL and start of the CFL season". Why not? It's more football on my TV that doesn't have the gross stink of the NCAA.

Without having looked into it I'm also curious how many of these guys were in the Arena League, which folded kind of rapidly at the end of last year.

Also, it's funny as hell that the league that was founded as a vanity project by a wrestling promoter has the most transparent replay system in north American sports.

·
Southern Pride
3,423 Posts
The first two games were very exciting. Especially the first one.

I like the replay system, the extra point(s) system and all of the rules that they have adjusted from the NFL to make the games more exciting.

During the first game they were very quick to interview players right after they went to the sidelines. Even talking to a kicker that missed the field goal. That was very well done.

Also, hearing the coaches call out plays (Jim Zorn, don't bother trying to cover your mouth. This isn't the NFL.) and the refs discuss penalties with the replay booth, which they gave us a glimpse of, was a nice surprise.

I'm enjoying the games so far. In ways they are doing some things better than what the NFL has been doing.

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
I watched most of the two games yesterday and am watching the second one today now. I liked them, and it helped a lot that the first game was pretty back and forth. I really like the extra point options. The Dallas team logo just looks badass. I hope they succeed. The DC stadium looked mostly full but the Dallas stadium does not. None of the upper deck seats are occupied so we will see. The most interesting thing to me so far is actually how many items in the XFL online shop are sold out. Maybe it is some marketing guy creating a false demand but if true, I am glad. I still have my Las Vegas Outlaws jersey heh.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,248 Posts
The first game on ABC averaged 3.3 million viewers with a peak of 4 million for the end of the game. This is 14 percent higher than the AAF debut last year.
Unlike the original XFL which did huge numbers at first and then plummeted, I think these numbers could grow quite a bit because this is actually a quality product with some buzz around it.
If the XFL ever turns a profit this will be McMahon's most brilliant move since giving Hogan the belt.

Reactions: Untouchable`

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was impressed. If you didn't know McMahon was involved you wouldn't think this XFL (like the first version) was in anyway connected to wrestling. This was just a football league - straight up. I like the kickoff formation. With player safety a concern I could see this trickle over to the NFL and down to college someday. The formation definitely decreases the number of hard impacts on kickoff returns.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Is XFL even going to be around next year?

Obviously Vince couldn’t foresee a pandemic, but what a disaster this seems to have been. I don’t know, and haven’t spoken to, a single person that has watched 1 single XFL game this season. After a cursory search, it appears the ratings are even worse than the first XFL and ratings have declined over 60% since the first week. Coronavirus aside, I had been wondering if this thing would even still be in existence next year.

It’s astounding how many horrible ideas McMahon has had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts