Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the term thrown around a lot, most recently in reference to ADR's Smackdown premier, but I have to say, it's all a bunch of contrived internet know-it-all-wannabe bullshit to me. Cheers are cheers and boos are boos. The audience isn't filled with message board smarks who know different styles of booing (in fact, we are a very small percentage of the actual pro-wrestling audience), and there doesn't seem to be any real way to gauge or determine what types of boos a guy gets, except pulling the "X-Pac Heat" excuse out of your trousers like an ugly cock.

So, please tell me, oh wise smarks and professors of mass psychology, how does one determine whether a star gets real heat or X-Pac heat? Do you have a special meter at home that registers the vocal inflections of boos in the audience? Are you psychic? Are you just throwing the label around to appear educated? I mean, how do you actually KNOW what all the people in the crowd on your TV are thinking? Do they send you letters?

My guess is: YOU'RE GUESSING.:agree:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't think many really get x pack heat. As you said its just thrown around and used. There are few people that are just a disgrace to the humanity and manage to be as vile and a huge piece of garbage as Sean Waltman is. So when I hear xpac heat I mostly just ignore it.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It's just an attempt to slight a wrestler some smark may not be a fan of.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
You can just tell wrestler by wrestler i they're being booed because they're heal of they're being booed cos we don't want to see them.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
"X-Pac" heat has always existed. It just used to be called "Go Away" heat. Basically, it's when the fans are booing a heel more out of disinterest than dislike.

A lot of wrestlers have had that type of heat over the years.

The term "X-Pac" heat primarily gets its usage from the IWC kiddies who firmly believe pro wrestling began & ended with the Attitude Era.

Nine times out of ten, I'd agree. They don't know what they're talking about or how to gauge any specific sort of "heat" a wrestler is getting.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I see the term thrown around a lot, most recently in reference to ADR's Smackdown premier, but I have to say, it's all a bunch of contrived internet know-it-all-wannabe bullshit to me. Cheers are cheers and boos are boos. The audience isn't filled with message board smarks who know different styles of booing (in fact, we are a very small percentage of the actual pro-wrestling audience), and there doesn't seem to be any real way to gauge or determine what types of boos a guy gets, except pulling the "X-Pac Heat" excuse out of your trousers like an ugly cock.

So, please tell me, oh wise smarks and professors of mass psychology, how does one determine whether a star gets real heat or X-Pac heat? Do you have a special meter at home that registers the vocal inflections of boos in the audience? Are you psychic? Are you just throwing the label around to appear educated? I mean, how do you actually KNOW what all the people in the crowd on your TV are thinking? Do they send you letters?

My guess is: YOU'RE GUESSING.:agree:

I agree for the most part, Its all in the eye of the beholder. X-pac himself didn't even get it that bad until the end and he got boring. Although I will say, More of the boos are 'x-pac heat' than you think. Probably not as much as 8-10 years ago, because now there are more little kid fans who follow the script, but still, if you are getting boos, chances are its not all 'boo you evil heel, I hope you lose', because most adult fans cheer/boo who they like, not who is booked as a face/heel. Its not just internet smarks. Like Cena gets a lot of boos along with his cheers, thats 'this guy is corny and he sucks" heat, i.e. x-pac heat. The good heels, like orton when he was heel, Jericho, miz, etc get a lot of cheers too. Guys like Drew McIntyre, who get straight boos, a lot of that is because they bore people, it is a lot easier to tell if you go to a show live, and see peoples physical reaction too.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
In my opinion, when fans chant to fire someone. The most recent being Bubba the love sponge in TNA.

But we can't forget about Cena at One Night Stand. It actually seemed like the people there would riot if he won.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
The term was coined during the Invasion when X-Pac, who was nominally a babyface due him siding with WWF, became the only member to be consistantly booed (along with Albert, his tag-team partner). On that basis, it refers to a face who the crowd are sick of or someone they simply hate and give a massive heel reaction to as a result.

Because of this confusion I've stopped using the term, instead, I say Maivia heat, reffering to The Rock's first gimmick when he'd frequently get "Die, Rocky, Die" chants from the crowd. It means the same thing but people understand it better, although they might need to refer to Wikipedia to understand the origins.

Cena gets it to an extent but only from a certain section of the crowd, others consitently cheer him. For it to be true X-Pac/Maivia heat, it needs to be universal, imo.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
It's a face who gets heel heat. But unfortunately the IWC try to make it look like it's a heel getting "the wrong type of boo's". They use this excuse because they don't want to admit somebody they don't like, is doing their job well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts