Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Cause Robbie E is the new X-division champ.

I think Robbie has potential, he slowly is turning the Xpac heat into real heat.

Its reminds me of HHH back in 1999, he was getting GTFO heat because he was still seen as an overpushed midcarder, until Austin and McMahon helped him to get real heat.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Re: Death of the X-division? **contain Spoilers**

No. Why would that possibly be the case?

·
IDGET
4,758 Posts
X Div has been dead since 08-09 so it really doesn't matter who the champ in. The division doesn't even have a roster anymore,and it's nothing more than SPOTZ to hype up the crowd at PPVs.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
i don't get how this is the death of the X-Division? as long as there is an X-Division title, whether they actually have a made-out division for it or not, its not really dead.

now if the title name gets changed, THAT means the death of the X-Division.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The X-Division has been awful for a couple years so giving Robbie E. a shot to run with the belt isn't a big deal. The Jersey Shore thing is a big deal right now so they're just trying to capitalize on a hot gimmick and draw in some more casual viewers.

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts
Everyone is so dramatic about sweaty guys rolling around.

Yeah, they probably shouldn't have given him the title so soon, but I feel like that's because of their 12 PPVs and the lack of build up.

I like Robbie E, I think he could really be a great mid-card heel if he keeps improving. I really liked his match last night.

I'm worried about him "blinging out" the title because I really hated the WWE title, with the spinner and whatnot.

Either way, I think he could actually bring the X-division back to relevance if he builds up even more heat and then drops the title to someone who can get a big push as the champ.

·
HEADBANGA
22,945 Posts
Maybe Robbie E being champ will give the title a new focus and become relevant or it becomes shit with him doing jack shit with it. It can go either way really.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Give Robbie a chance. Maybe he'll carry it better than Lethal.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
While this certainly doesn't help, the fact is that the division has been dead for a while now. When I first began watching TNA in 2002-2003, after watching the X division, I knew exactly what it was all about, that being a showcase of young dynamic athletes who were promoted as being the best in ring workers on the planet. If I were to start watching TNA for the first time today, even after months I'd still have to ask what the point of the X division is, a lower midcard division? A cruiserweight division perhaps? As well, others tuning in for the first time would be wondering what the X division is supposed to be, because the truth is that this division no longer has meaning to it. Robbie E is a worker who is overshadowed completely by his character, to the point where if he were to leave and come back 6 months later as Rob Eckos, half the audience would probably be clueless as to who this guy is. Add to this the fact that Robbie is not at all convincing as this character, has little charisma, and is nothing special in the ring; next to nobody thinks of Rob Eckos the worker when they see this guy, they think "Oh God, just get off my TV screen for Christ sake." You could stick anybody with a certain look into this shameless caricature and they'd draw heat of the "go away" variety simply because people are repulsed by the notion of the character itself and don't want to see this shit disgrace the show even further.

I ask you this, in what way, shape, or form is this guy an X division wrestler? Has Robbie wowed anybody to the point where those in the audience thought to themselves, "I hope this guy becomes X division champion someday"? Amazing athleticism which cannot be seen anywhere else on television, that was the philosophy of the X division from day one. Does Robbie fit that mold? Can anyone look at this guy and say, "Wow, you don't see this kind of athleticism in WWE?" The answer is no.

So why is the guy champion then? Because of two prime factors: (1) X Division doesn't mean anything at this point. (2) TNA doesn't see him as being good enough for the World title. I can guarantee you this, non wrestling fans aren't going to see the TNA plug with Jwoww on TMZ and say "Holy shit, Jwoww fake wrestling with some chick I've never seen before in a company I've never heard of, I've gotta see this." Its more like scenario B: "Wow, a wrestling company got Jwoww to roll around with some chick I've never seen before, wrestling is stupid, its no wonder I don't watch it." Sure that plug raised TNA awareness amongst the general public but you'll notice that none of them want to take the time to watch it, because with shit like that, they now see TNA as a joke and no different than any "typical" wrestling company. TNA may have raised a bit of awareness but they sacrificed quite a bit of pride and integrity in doing so. Anyway, I've gone on too long, I'm done now.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
While this certainly doesn't help, the fact is that the division has been dead for a while now. When I first began watching TNA in 2002-2003, after watching the X division, I knew exactly what it was all about, that being a showcase of young dynamic athletes who were promoted as being the best in ring workers on the planet. If I were to start watching TNA for the first time today, even after months I'd still have to ask what the point of the X division is, a lower midcard division? A cruiserweight division perhaps? As well, others tuning in for the first time would be wondering what the X division is supposed to be, because the truth is that this division no longer has meaning to it. Robbie E is a worker who is overshadowed completely by his character, to the point where if he were to leave and come back 6 months later as Rob Eckos, half the audience would probably be clueless as to who this guy is. Add to this the fact that Robbie is not at all convincing as this character, has little charisma, and is nothing special in the ring; next to nobody thinks of Rob Eckos the worker when they see this guy, they think "Oh God, just get off my TV screen for Christ sake." You could stick anybody with a certain look into this shameless caricature and they'd draw heat of the "go away" variety simply because people are repulsed by the notion of the character itself and don't want to see this shit disgrace the show even further.

I ask you this, in what way, shape, or form is this guy an X division wrestler? Has Robbie wowed anybody to the point where those in the audience thought to themselves, "I hope this guy becomes X division champion someday"? Amazing athleticism which cannot be seen anywhere else on television, that was the philosophy of the X division from day one. Does Robbie fit that mold? Can anyone look at this guy and say, "Wow, you don't see this kind of athleticism in WWE?" The answer is no.

So why is the guy champion then? Because of two prime factors: (1) X Division doesn't mean anything at this point. (2) TNA doesn't see him as being good enough for the World title. I can guarantee you this, non wrestling fans aren't going to see the TNA plug with Jwoww on TMZ and say "Holy shit, Jwoww fake wrestling with some chick I've never seen before in a company I've never heard of, I've gotta see this." Its more like scenario B: "Wow, a wrestling company got Jwoww to roll around with some chick I've never seen before, wrestling is stupid, its no wonder I don't watch it." Sure that plug raised TNA awareness amongst the general public but you'll notice that none of them want to take the time to watch it, because with shit like that, they now see TNA as a joke and no different than any "typical" wrestling company. TNA may have raised a bit of awareness but they sacrificed quite a bit of pride and integrity in doing so. Anyway, I've gone on too long, I'm done now.
/thread

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Robbie E has received nothing but X-Pac Heat since The Shore came to our screens in October. The only reason he won is because Russo wants to push the shit out of this guy.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Welcome to 2007.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They've apperently got big plans for the Shore, they've been getting alot of push(against the fans will at times) I personally haven't seen enough of the guy to know if he's any good or not.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robbie E has received nothing but X-Pac Heat since The Shore came to our screens in October. The only reason he won is because Russo wants to push the shit out of this guy.
Triple H was getting Xpac heat in 1999, but Austin and McMahon saved his career.

Robbie needs a strong babyface...

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Triple H was getting Xpac heat in 1999, but Austin and McMahon saved his career.

Robbie needs a strong babyface...
That would of course be ideal but then again we're talking about TNA and something like a strong babyface would be impossible to build in a division that gets no real air time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts