Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was about to post this in "Highest rated segment in history" thread but it got closed.
I've seen many times people discuss highest RAW rating and Monday Night Wars ratings
but this kinda gets overlooked. Here a bit more info:

The success of Saturday Night's Main Event led to several Friday night prime time specials, known as The Main Event. The first of these, on February 5, 1988 featured a WrestleMania III rematch between Hogan and André and drew 33 million viewers and a 15.2 rating, which is still the highest-rated television show in professional wrestling history. This event was shown live.

How's that for a rating and viewership

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I know it but that was a completely different situation, it wasn't a weekly cable TV show with strong competition like RAW and Nitro, and at that time, you had a lot less options but still, amazing number and it's going to be the biggest in wrestling history forever.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
I just read about this show a few days ago in Andre's book. You have to remember that in those day there were a lot less television channels and the Hogan-Andre story was huge going into it. Also add to that, the fact that there were far less things to do back in 1988 than in 2012, a lot of people would have been sat in front of the TV on a friday night rather than doing something else which they would be doing in 2012.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just read about this show a few days ago in Andre's book. You have to remember that in those day there were a lot less television channels and the Hogan-Andre story was huge going into it. Also add to that, the fact that there were far less things to do back in 1988 than in 2012, a lot of people would have been sat in front of the TV on a friday night rather than doing something else which they would be doing in 2012.
And a much less TV households then in 2012. too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Once in a lifetime

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Which is true, but the OP answers the question from the other thread. It is the highest television segment in wrestling history.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Holy crap I completely forgot bout that. I remember when I first heard that news 2 years ago, I was like :Cornette

But yeah it often gets overlooked. But I don't think the viewership was much at all. It was a different time. You realize that as time goes on the rating number drops lower and lower, but the viewership number remains around the same.

·
Premium Member
15,042 Posts
I've read elsewhere on this site that a Lou Thesz vs. Rikidozan match from 1957 in Japan drew a 87.0 rating.

Is this true and how many people would that equal?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Back then, wrestling was in a less televised situation than UFC today. Look at how many people watched the UFC on Fox stuff. Do you really think that much people would have watched had UFC had events every single week.

Same would apply for WWE today, if all they aired was PPV events(like Rumble,WM,Summerslam,Survivor Series) and then a few years later, had a big televised event with ppv quality stuff,for free,wouldn't lots of people watch it?

But that 33 million,was it 33 million in USA, or worldwide?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
^Just US.

lifted: Saturday Night's Main Event was a tremendous ratings success for NBC during its heyday, most notably on the March 14, 1987 show, which drew an 11.6 rating, which to this day remains the highest rating any show has ever done in that time slot. That show was headlined by a battle royal featuring Hulk Hogan and André the Giant, who were slated to face each other at WrestleMania III. As Hogan rarely wrestled on the WWF syndicated and cable television shows, Saturday Night's Main Event was the program on free television where most viewers were able to see him in action. The success of Saturday Night's Main Event led to several Friday night prime time specials, known as The Main Event. The first of these, on February 5, 1988 featured a WrestleMania III rematch between Hogan and André and drew 33 million viewers and a 15.2 rating, which is still the highest-rated television show in professional wrestling history. This event was shown live. The late night shows however were always taped 1–2 weeks prior to airing.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I remember this night very well. I was in first grade and it was a Friday night. My parents let me have a couple friends over to spend the night and we watched as Hogan lost the title. That was the night I became a huge DiBiase mark though. A few months later after Wrestlemania 4 I went to a house show and Savage and DiBiase put on a 20 minute masterpiece. Good times.

·
Banned
763 Posts
If you weren't alive when Saturday Night's Main Event was around, you will never fully appreciate what you've missed. I can assure that, short of Wrestlemania itself, nothing could match the adrenalin that came with SNME. As soon as the intro hit, you knew you were in for a hell of a show.

And it wasn't just because there were fewer channels; it was also because the various programs (Wrestling Challenge, Superstars, Wrestling Spotlight) were chock-full of jobber matches, so when SNME actually pitted superstars against each other it was a big deal. Today on RAW, ho-hum.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
If you weren't alive when Saturday Night's Main Event was around, you will never fully appreciate what you've missed. I can assure that, short of Wrestlemania itself, nothing could match the adrenalin that came with SNME. As soon as the intro hit, you knew you were in for a hell of a show. And it wasn't just because there were fewer channels; it was also because the various programs (Wrestling Challenge, Superstars, Wrestling Spotlight) were chock-full of jobber matches, so when SNME actually pitted superstars against each other it was a big deal. Today on RAW, ho-hum.
Not to sound like an old dude but I agree. It was really awesome. I love the SNME DVD set that came out a few years ago. I went to two SNME tapings as a kid and two of the matches I saw live (Mr Perfect V Tito Santana and DiBiase V Hart :mark:) made the DVD set. That set also has one of my fav matches of all time...Savage V Hart in the fall of 87. I was so excited to relive those. THAT set is one WWE knocked out of the park.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts