Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know about certain wrestlers in WWE past who challenged for certain WWE championships at a PPV, but never won them. And I'm not including those who would win the the championship at some point. I mean those who challenged for the belt but NEVER won it. I'm curious as to if they did wind up winning the title at the PPV or at some other point if it would have worked or not. Can you picture:

• Junkyard Dog as Intercontinental Champion (WM1)
  • Rowdy Roddy Piper as WWF Champion (Wrestling Classic)
  • George "The Animal" Steele as Intercontinental Champion (WM2)
  • King Kong Bundy as WWF Champion (WM2)
  • Any of the other participants in the WrestleMania IV WWF title tournament winning.
  • Brutus Beefcake as Intercontinental Champion (WM4)
  • Powers of Pain as Tag Team Champions (WM5)
  • Rick Rude as WWF Champion (Summer Slam 90)
  • Big Boss Man as Intercontinental Champion (WM7)
  • Skinner as Intercontinental Champion (This Tuesday in Texas)
  • Any of the other participants in the 1992 Royal Rumble winning the WWF title.
  • Beverly Brothers as Tag Team Champions (Summer Slam 92)
  • Razor Ramon as WWF Champion (RR93)
  • Tatanka as Intercontinental Champion (WM9)
  • Mega Maniacs as Tag Team Champions (WM9)
  • Crush as Intercontinental Champion (KOTR 93)
  • Heavenly Bodies as Tag Team Champions (Summer Slam 93)
  • Lex Luger as WWF Champion
  • IRS as Intercontinental Champion (RR94)
  • Owen Hart as WWF Champion (Summer Slam 94)
  • Bam Bam Bigelow and Tatanka as Tag Team Champions (RR95)
  • Lex Luger as 1/2 of the Tag Team Champions with the British Bulldog (IYH2)
  • King Mabel as WWF Champion (Summer Slam 95)
  • British Bulldog as WWF Champion
  • Yokozuna as Intercontinental Champion (IYH3)
  • Razor Ramon as 1/2 of the Tag Team Champions with 123 Kid (IYH 4)
  • Undertaker as Intercontinental Champion (Beware of Dog)
  • Vader as WWF Champion
  • Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon as Tag Team Champions (Final Four)
  • Vader as 1/2 of the Tag Team Champions with Mankind (WM13)
  • Savio Vega as Intercontinental Champion (Revenge of the Taker)
  • Faarooq as WWF Champion (KOTR 97)
  • Ken Shamrock as European Champion (Summer Slam 97)
  • The Patriot as WWF Champion (Ground Zero)
  • Faarooq as Intercontinental Champion
  • Brian Christopher as Light Heavyweight Champion (IYH DX)
  • Ken Shamrock as WWF Champion (IYH DX)
  • New Midnight Express as Tag Team Champions (KOTR 98)
  • Mankind as Intercontinental Champion (Judgement Day 98)
  • Any of the other participants in the Survivor Series 1998 WWF title tournament winning it.
  • D-Lo Brown and Mark Henry as Tag Team Champions
  • Luna Vachon as Women's Champion
  • Big Boss Man as WWF Champion (Armageddon 99)
For Now I'll just stick with the challengers from PPV's before the start of the 2000's just to save time and effort. for the 2000's and beyond (At least to the end of Ruthless Aggression) just look them up and discuss which ones you think should have won the title, as well as ones in which you're glad the champion retained.

If there's any challengers you think it was the right decision to not win the title, were they at least a good choice to challenge for the title at the PPV? If not, then why even book them in the title match to begin with?

·
Premium Member
15,074 Posts
Looking at that list, I'd say it was the right choice in every case except:

1. Lex Luger

Why even do the match, to begin with, if he's not going over? Not to mention, what's with the stipulations? Protective pad over the forearm. Luger's only title shot. He's obviously an underdog but with those stipulations, it seems to set up for a triumphant victory. Instead, he won the match by actually violating one of the stipulations and then celebrated as if he had won the title. If nothing else, have him win in spite of violating the stipulation and, after protesting from Jim Cornette, either strip him of the title or order a rematch at the Rumble.

2. British Bulldog

I feel Bulldog should've won the title at Beware Of Dog, with the same finish except Bulldog's shoulder is up. So, it's a controversial finish and justifies a rematch the following month, where Shawn would regain the title.

3. Vader

This is a bit tricky, as I don't believe Vader not winning the title at Summerslam was the wrong move. But, I do believe him losing was. The perfect finish would've been the second "finish", with Shawn being disqualified for beating him with the racket. This allows an opening for a rematch, where you can do the Lothario angle and have Vader win the title that way. Regardless, with the supposed plan being for Vader to win at Survivor Series, it doesn't make much sense to have him pinned at Summerslam.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'm curious to know about certain wrestlers in WWE past who challenged for certain WWE championships at a PPV, but never won them. And I'm not including those who would win the the championship at some point. I mean those who challenged for the belt but NEVER won it. I'm curious as to if they did wind up winning the title at the PPV or at some other point if it would have worked or not. Can you picture:

• Any of the other participants in the WrestleMania IV WWF title tournament winning.
like Stevie Richards?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like Stevie Richards?
Since you're referencing the WM4 tournament, No. Like Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase, Don Muraco, Dino Bravo, Ricky Steamboat, Greg Valentine, Butch Reed, Bam Bam Bigelow, One Man Gang, or Jake Roberts. Rick Rude I already mentioned. Would it have been possible to picture any of them as WWF Champion?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Since you're referencing the WM4 tournament, No. Like Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase, Don Muraco, Dino Bravo, Ricky Steamboat, Greg Valentine, Butch Reed, Bam Bam Bigelow, One Man Gang, or Jake Roberts. Rick Rude I already mentioned. Would it have been possible to picture any of them as WWF Champion?
I was making a reference to an episode of Raw from Nov/Dec 2004, Triple H was going to defend the Word title in a battle royal but vince came out and said "anyone can win a battle royal, even Stevie Richards"

it was quite funny, i was hoping someone here would get the joke

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyway, I suppose as far as good challengers for the champions to retain against. Owen Hart against Bret at SummerSlam 1994 was one of the best examples.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Looking back from now its a superb line up and I think they handled the whole tournament superbly

It's a very hard question because Hogan was portrayed as invincible and most expected him to regain the belt, it made sense from everyones perspective let alone financially

Despite their huge popularity Savage and Steamboat were "Smaller men" , hard to believe now as was even in the early nineties when Michaels and Hart were oft branded Light heavyweights during their early reigns with the IC or World title

Rude wasnt particuarly well used, too many inconclusive feuds tarnished his contender rep
Reed was still up and coming although had aleady lost to Hogan
Duggan was majorly over but no-one really ever thought of him with a belt
Dibiase sadly not due to his abilities more the man with the money angle, yes even if quickly dethroned/transitional/heat magnet
Valentine-the reliable vet was slowly slipping down the card like Rude had been part of many inconclusive feuds
Muraco-still over and had the respect but was taking more losses these days which hurt his cred
Bravo-Wow, they really pushed him a lot but couldnt ever see him with the World belt
Bigelow- Strangely yes, he was mega over and would go toe to toe with Andre, Bundy, OMG
OMG-No and he'd already lost to Hogan but someone beating the big guy on the way would look impressive
Roberts- massively over and probably no worse a call than Savage TBH, maybe politics/attitude played a part in who they chose as a Hogan alternative?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Looking back I'm not sure I can picture any of them as WWF champion because the Hulkamania era had such a larger than life, carefully constructed framework. It's difficult to imagine anybody other than the Mega Powers ruling the 80's or WrestleMania ending with a heel going over.

In real time, however, I could see any of taking it. It's a true dream line up of champions and top stars from across America: Duggan, Gang, Reed, DiBiase (Mid South champs), Steamboat, Valentine (NWA US champs), Rude, Bigelow (Memphis champs), Bravo (a top babyface in Canada a few years earlier).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts