1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWF 1997: The Plague
Tough times in the ratings war

Introduction
This BTB will fully begin the night after Survivor Series 1997. However there will be some slight storyline altercations before that to fit in with the "Plague" theme. For those of you who don't know, a Plague story is basically when you remove your top stars and try to get by with your young and less recognized stars. I am to answer the question, "Could the WWF of managed back then without Stone Cold, HBK, Bret Hart, Taker etc. To me its a good way to change history and develop your own feuds without getting too excited about copying real life feuds. So below this and in the backstory there will be an explanation as to how certain superstars have ultimately vanished from WWF Programming, culminating with a preview for the RAW is WAR the night after Survivor Series. Enjoy!

Backstory
Over the span of 3 months the WWF has lost several of its top stars, leaving the company without a notable Champion, and with the bold task of having to reinvent and make new stars in a hurry. Here are the superstars that have disappeared.

Stone Cold Steve Austin - Stone Cold suffered a career ending neck injury at Summerslam 1997 at the hands of Owen Hart. Owen botched a piledriver, resulting in the injury. Though it was unclear at first and Austin continued to work on TV for a few weeks after Summerslam, it was eventually determined that he shouldn't wrestle anymore, ultimately ending his career. To end his character on TV Austin was attacked by the Hart Foundation on RAW is WAR, being thrown off the stage and onto the sound stage below. Austin also had to vacate the championship, which Owen Hart managed to regain at Bad Blood.

Bret "The Hitman" Hart & Shawn Michaels - Bret Hart had already agreed a contract with WCW, but leading into Survivor Series 1997 he was still the WWF Champion. With SS occurring in Canada, Bret didn't want to drop the title, and instead wanted to and the belt over the next night on war, however WWF Owner Vince McMahon didn't want that to happen. After talking with Shawn Michaels they had agreed to screw Bret, forcing referee Earl Hebner to call for the bell as HBK locked in the Sharpshooter on Bret, who didn't tapped. Enraged by the incident, and knowing full well that Michaels was involved, Bret Hart began attacking Shawn Michaels in a shoot-style fight in the middle of the ring. Police rushed to the ring to attempt to break the melee but it was too late, as Michaels suffered a broken fibula in his left leg, ruling him out indefinitely. This left the WWF & European Title vacant heading into the next night on RAW.

The Undertaker - When wrestling HBK in the Hell in a Cell match during Bad Blood, the Undertakers brother Kane made his debut, impressively breaking the cell door open. Kane then grabbed Taker by the throat and chokeslammed him through the ring, ending the match and awarding the decision to Michaels. Undertaker hasn't been seen since, however one backstage source said that the Undertaker was taking some time off due to feeling burnt out. There's been no time set for his return, if there will even be one.

Also leaving the WWF is The British Bulldog & Jim Neidhart who were both outraged by the Montreal incident. They walked out of the building at Survivor Series after leaving a note of resignation on Vince McMahon's desk. Owen Hart however remained as he was the only Hart Foundation member locked into a long contract and couldn't breach it.

Survivor Series 1997 - Results

Survivor Series Match
The Godwinns (Henry O. and Phineous I.) & The New Age Outlaws ("Bad Ass" Billy Gunn & "Road Dogg" Jesse James) def. The Headbangers (Mosh & Trasher) & The New Blackjacks ("Blackjack" Windham & "Blackjack" Bradshaw)

Survivor Series Match
The Truth Commission (The Jackyl, Sniper, Recon & Kurragan the Interrogator) def. The Disciples of Apocalypse (Crush, Chainz, Skull & 8-Ball)

Survivor Series Match
Team Canada (The British Bulldog, Jim Neidhart, Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon) def. Team USA (Vader, Goldust, Steve Blackman & Marc Mero)

Kane def. Mankind

Survivor Series Match
LOD (Hawk & Animal), Ahmed Johnson & Ken Shamrock def. The Nation of Domination (Farooq, The Rock, Kama Mustafa & D'Lo Brown)

Intercontinental Championship Match
Loser Leaves the WWF
Owen Hart (c) def. The Patriot

WWF Championship Match
Bret Hart (c) and Shawn Michaels fought to a No Contest
WWF Title Vacated

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I saw the thread title, and i thought "On all of the wrestling forums i have been on. I haven't seen a BTB on the year of 1997/1998" I decided to check it out and i was suprised at the idea you have.

It's unique and i'm interested to see what you do with it.

The backstorys of how the top stars left is far fetched, but it doesn't matter. It's about what you do from now on that counts.

·
STILL learning kayfabe
413 Posts
Wow, you took out some big stars. I wish you good luck on this plague story. I really hope you are getting somewhere with this as this is original.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roster
8-Ball
Aguila
Ahmed Johnson
Animal
Barry Windham
Billy Gunn
Bob Holly
Bradshaw
Brian Christopher
Chainz
Crush
D-Lo Brown
Doug Furnas
Faarooq
Goldust
Hawk
Henry O. Godwinn
Hunter Hearst Helmsley
Jeff Jarrett
Jesse James
Jesus Castillo
Jose Estrada Jr.
Kama Mustafa
Kane
Ken Shamrock
Kurragan
Mankind
Marc Mero
Mark Henry
Miguel Perez Jr.
Mosh
Owen Hart
Philip LaFon
Phineous I. Godwinn
Recon
Rocky Maivia
Savio Vega
Skull
Scott Taylor
Sniper
Steve Blackman
The Sultan
Taka Michinoku
Thrasher
Tiger Ali Singh
Vader

Tag Teams & Stables

The Nation of Domination - Farooq, Rocky Maivia, Kama Mustafa, Mark Henry

Disciples of Apocalypse - Crush, Chainz, Skull, 8-Ball

Los Boricuas - Savio Vega, Miguel Perez Jr., Jesus Castillo, Jose Estrada Jr.

The Legion of Doom - Hawk & Animal

New Age Outlaws - Jesse James & Billy Gunn

Headbangers - Mosh & Trasher

The Blackjacks - Bradshaw & Barry Windham

Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon

WWF Champions

WWF Championship
Vacant - Survivor Series 1997 - November 9th, 1997

WWF Intercontinental Championship
Owen Hart - Badd Blood: In Your House - October 5th, 1997

WWF European Championship
Vacant - Survivor Series 1997 - November 9th, 1997

WWF Tag Team Championships
The Legion of Doom - RAW is WAR - October 13th, 1997

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I just couldn't think of another way to rewrite this time period then to get rid of the top stars, to me it makes it easier to create new storylines. I will be bolstering the roster gradually over time so you'll have to stay tuned to find out who and when!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAW is WAR Preview - November 10th, 1997

- After the most controversial Pay-Per-View event in the history of wrestling, what will happen tonight on RAW is WAR? WWF Owner Vince McMahon will appear live to explain the situation.

- After the main event there is no longer a WWF Champion or a European Champion. Will there be any new champions crowned tonight? Vince McMahon will also explain the situation on both titles.

- The Legion of Doom will be putting their WWF Tag Team gold on the line as they face Canadian duo Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon. Both tag-teams were apart of victorious Survivor Series Teams last night in Montreal. Tonight in Ottawa they will square off for the belts.

- After banishing The Patriot from the WWF last night at Survivor Series, Owen Hart looks to build more momentum as he squares off in a non-title match against a member of the New Blackjacks, Bradshaw.

- Four light-heavyweights will compete on RAW is WAR in tag team action as TAKA Michinoku teams up with Mexican sensation Aguila as they meet "Too Sexy" Brian Christopher and Scott Taylor. There's bound to be lots of high risk in this one!

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Different. Seen one attempt at a 1997 thread and it never got very far. Interesting to see what you can do with this as there are so many possibilities. Undecided on if I like the decision to injure Shawn but, I guess it was given a good reason with Bret going ape shit on him. Best of luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this one. :)

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Very unique time to have a BTB and a even more unique backstory, removing your top stars and seeing how you go isn't going to be easy, if taking up this time period was any bit easier in the first place. Unfamiliar with your writting capabilities, I do wish you all the best and I'll keep an eye on this to see how things progress for you. Logic tells me that for the first few months until you push new talent or bring in who you please from WCW/ECW, you'll be pushing the likes of Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Rocky Maivia, Kane and Mankind who are your only big guys or upper mid card left. Either way, again best of luck. (Y)

·
HEY YO
4,622 Posts
Retro threads are definitely my favorites, so I'm hoping you do well with this. I like the idea of wanting to make your own stars. As The Bad Guy said, Rocky, Trips, Kane and Mankind are all still around and dominate. I'm also hoping you push the shit out of Owen Hart, he's one of my favorites and I'd love to see him get a crack at the WWF Title somewhere down the line. I also think pushing Shamrock and rebuilding Vader as a monster would do wonders for your upper mid card/main event scene.

Previews pretty self explanatory, a couple of solid matches booked, and I like the idea of a big tag team title match to keep us hooked after the PPV. Hawk and Animal were past it by this stage, but being BTB, you can write them well, and keep them as an entertaining team. Obviously very interested to see what Vinnie Mac has to say as well, as then I'll be able to get a better idea of where you're going to take things.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts