World Wrestling Federation
With WrestleMania 9 complete, the World Wrestling Federation moves on with a new WWF Champion and with a new PPV on the horizon in the King of the Ring. With the “Steroids Scandal” hanging over Vince McMahon and the WWF, the company is in a transitional phase as it looks to trim budgets and focus on the younger talent such as The Undertaker, Mr. Perfect and Bret “The Hitman” Hart rather than the likes of Ric Flair, “Macho Man” Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior. However, hindsight tells us, that the extravaganza that was WrestleMania 9 was not well received and came off more as a damp squib. One particular bone of contention surrounded the finish as, despite the focus on the younger stars, Hulkamania yet again ruled the WWF as Hulk Hogan returned to defeat Yokozuna after the Japanese Royal Rumble winner had defeated Bret Hart just minutes earlier. Another issue for many fans was the number of DQ or controversial finishes that left so many feuds unfinished. So what next for the WWF in 1993?
WRESTLEMANIA IX – RESULTS
Caesar’s Palace, Las Vegas, NV | Sunday April 4, 1993
Tatanka defeated Shawn Michaels (c) via a DQ
Shawn Michaels retains the Intercontinental Championship
TAG TEAM MATCH
Steiner Brothers defeated The Headshrinkers (w/Afa)
Doink the Clown defeated Crush
Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund
TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
Money Inc (c) defeated the Megamaniacs (Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan w/Jimmy Hart) via DQ
Money Inc. retain the Tag Team Championships
“The Narcissist” Lex Luger defeated Mr. Perfect
The Undertaker (w/Paul Bearer) defeated Giant Gonzalez (w/Harvey Wippelman) via DQ
Yokozuna (w/Mr. Fuji) defeated Bret “The Hitman” Hart (c)
Yokozuna became the new WWF Champion
IMPROMPTU WWF CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Hulk Hogan defeated Yokozuna (c) (w/Mr. Fuji)
Hulk Hogan became the new WWF Champion
The week after WrestleMania 9, WWF aired some recorded shows that didn’t advance any storylines. My first RAW is the show 8 days on from WrestleMania when all the superstars who wrestled in Las Vegas were ready to appear on TV once again.
WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION NEWS AND GOSSIP!
- RAW EXTENDED TO HOUR AND A HALF: From now on, Monday Night RAW, the WWF’s flagship show, will air for 90 minutes instead of the previous 60 minute show with run-off. Although this is only expected to increase the show by 15-20 minutes, the popularity of the show so far means that RAW now has longer to showcase some of the talent on offer in the WWF. 90 minute RAW’s will begin airing from Monday April 19.
- MIXED RESPONSE TO NEW WWF CHAMPION: The reaction to the crowning of Hulk Hogan as the WWF Champion has been mixed to say the least. Many believe that this change of plan, thought to have only come about in the week running up to WrestleMania 9, was down to backstage politics from Hogan himself. Rumours suggest that Hogan will be cutting short his tour of Japan to appear more frequently on RAW than was planned before.
- NEW PPV PLANNED FOR JUNE; TO BE HELD IN DAYTON, OHIO: A new PPV is scheduled for Sunday June 13, 10 weeks from WrestleMania 9, to fill the long gap between PPV’s until Summerslam. Word is that there could be a special tournament gimmick for the show although there is no concrete word on what is planned right now. WWF insiders have said to expect Hulk Hogan to be defending the WWF Championship at the PPV.
- MACHO MAN SET FOR RETURN TO IN-RING ACTION: Despite impressing many on commentary, “Macho Man” Randy Savage is said to be ready for a return to the squared circle in the coming weeks. No word yet on who he will feud with on his return but expect him to return to a top-end feud of some kind.
- NEW CHAMPIONSHIP BEING DISCUSSED BY WWF OFFICIALS: With the WWF continuing to increase in size, there are rumours coming out of the WWF that there could be a third singles championship introduced in the coming months. Again, there is no concrete word on the situation but rumours suggest it would be a title beneath the Intercontinental Championship currently held by Shawn Michaels.
Enjoy the show! GCB