Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the decade coming to a close in a little over a month i wanted to take a look back and see what everyone thinks is the match/matches of the decade. Which would mean 2010-2019. In my opinion HBK vs Undertaker from Wrestlemania 26(2010) is up there, while not as good as there Wrestlemania 25 match its still up there as one of the best. Also Punk vs Cena Money in the Bank 2011 was great with an amazing atmosphere. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Extremely limited viewing hot take....

1. Rhodes Brothers vs. Rollins & Reigns- Raw October 2013
2. Neville vs. Jack Gallagher- some PPV 2017
3. John Cena vs. Cesaro- Raw February 2014
4. Rollins & Reigns vs. Usos- some PPV 2013
5. Wyatt Family vs. Shield- Elimination Chamber 2014

·
it's a tarp!
4,705 Posts
Evolution/The Shield, Payback 2014
Brock/Cena/Rollins, Royal Rumble 2015

Turns out Seth used to be pretty good. Then he turned into no sell Super Seth, and now he's not so much.

Sadly I don't remember a specific match but The USO's/The New Day were pretty special.

·
Registered
485 Posts
CM Punk vs Cena MITB '11

Daniel Bryan vs John Cena Summerslam 2013. Especially, and I have never seen this mention, they did a callback to their match move for move (the first few moves) back in 2003 on Velocity. Bryan also giving us a new Impact finisher that looked so incredibly good done to Cena.

Otherwise I'm drawing blanks.

·
Premium Member
16,736 Posts
Extremely limited viewing hot take....

1. Rhodes Brothers vs. Rollins & Reigns- Raw October 2013
Did you mean their ppv match with jobs on the line? I don't remember a raw match with them, but the ppv one is one of my top 5 for WWE match of the decade. Even moreso now because of AEW.

I'd have 3, hitting different categories.

1). Gargano v Alma's - takeover Philly. My favorite match in general

2) either HBK V Undertaker WM 26 or Lesnar v undertaker WM 30, because of the outcomes

3) dark horse is survivor series 2014 main event, with Ziggler going all the way. Great match, but also a very unusual outcome with Ziggler. I'm not a big fan, but WWE risked a lot with using him and it all worked beautifully.

·
Registered
310 Posts
100% Punk vs Cena at MITB 2011.

There's a ton of NXT matches that are runner-up to that. The Cole vs Gargano matches, Gargano vs Almas, Sasha vs Bayley..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Did you mean their ppv match with jobs on the line? I don't remember a raw match with them, but the ppv one is one of my top 5 for WWE match of the decade. Even moreso now because of AEW.
Nah. They had a No DQ Raw match with the belts on the line after the PPV that was even better the pay per view match. Check it out.

Forgot to mention....

American Alpha vs. The Revival- Some Takeover 2016(?)where AA won the belts. Definitely deserves a mention.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There’s been a lot of great matches but the3 matches that’ll be remembered the most from this decade are:
Punk Vs Cena MITB 2011
Cena Vs Rock Wrestlemania 28
Lesnar Vs Taker Wrestlemania 30

One is probably the best atmosphere, other had the most mainstream appeal and the last had the most shock factor.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,650 Posts
Hard to argue with choices like HBK vs Undertaker at Mania 26 or Punk vs Cena at MitB. But if I had to knock the Punk/Cena match, it would be for the shitty ending with Cena about to win clean only to break the hold, leave the ring to punch Johnny Ace and give a noble speech only to get back in the ring, get clocked by a miraculously healed Punk then lose via pinfall. Shit ending to an otherwise really good match.

Melina vs Alicia Fox

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
As far as straight up "workrate", something from NXT probably gets the nod, like one of the Cesaro vs. Zayn matches, Zayn vs. Nakamura, Gargano vs. Almas, or a DIY vs. Revival match. But while they were all great on a technical level, I have to go with my gut instinct reaction to the title of this topic, and that is...

CM Punk vs. John Cena, Money In The Bank 2011.

Not only was it superbly wrestled, it also had the story, characters, star power and a rabid atmosphere. It had a level of emotional investment that those NXT bouts just couldn't match.

Also, the one complaint in the topic about Cena breaking the hold to punch Johnny Ace... that made perfect sense, it was a callback to Survivor Series 1997. Vince and Ace were going to screw Punk by doing the Montreal Screwjob finish, but Cena was too proud to let it go down that way.

You can probably pick out other matches that have more spectacular moves or more false finishes... most big matches in WWE seem engineered to break Meltzer's 5 star scale these days. But the fact that so many of us are recalling Punk vs. Cena 8.5 years later shows how special it was.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'd give the MoTD to Punk vs. Cena @ MitB

Runners up would be:
Punk vs. Brock - SS '13
Wyatts vs. Shield - EC '14
Bryan vs. Punk - OTL '12
HHH vs. Bryan - WM XXX

1 - 20 of 76 Posts