Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on a news posting the other day that the WWE is concerned about its main event scene. Recently, they have had some big name injuries such as Triple H, CM Punk and the Undertaker, as well as the departures of HBK and Chris Jericho. Also, Taker, Edge and Triple H will likely be retiring in the next 2-3 years. So what are we look at for the main event scene on each show today? Below is a list of current, active, already established main eventers on each show:

Current RAW Main Eventers:
  • John Cena
  • Randy Orton
  • Wade Barrett (safe to say)
  • Sheamus
  • Triple H (upon returning soon)
Current Smackdown! Main Eventers
  • Kane
  • Edge
  • Jack Swagger
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Big Show
If you ask me, I say at this point, they should try merging the brands, unifying the world titles after Wrestlemania and just try it out for a year, see if it runs smoothly, and if ratings go up or not.

But assuming that doesn't happen, here is the theme of this thread. Pick 3 superstars (not on above lists) from each brand that the WWE should start/continue pushing into the main event and create huge stars out of IMMEDIATELY. After that, pick 3 more from each brand that should start getting a main event push in a year or two. Here are my picks from the current, active roster:

Immediate RAW Pushes:
  • The Miz
  • John Morrison
  • Daniel Bryan
Future RAW Pushes:
  • Justin Gabriel
  • Tyson Kidd
  • Ted Dibiase
Immediate Smackdown! Pushes:
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Alberto Del Rio
  • Kofi Kingston
Future Smackdown! Pushes:
  • Drew McIntyre
  • Cody Rhodes
  • Tyler Reks
In my opinion, 5 years from now, Ziggler, Del Rio, Morrison and Bryan could be the core-four of the main event scene, and I would love it. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The Miz should be pushed into main event scene right now and Bryan should enter the main event scene probably after WM next next year like in the summer.

On SD Del Rio is the only guy I can see being pushed into main event scene with no problems but the other up and coming heels just need to get the right feuds and momentum going.

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
Raw: Punk, Riley, Miz

SmackDown: Christian, Del Rio, Kofi

I'm not gonna bother with who should be elevated now or in the future, because there's only a few people worth the push anyway.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
First of all Jack Swagger is not a main eventer.

RAW: John Morrison, CM Punk, The Miz

SmackDown: Jack Swagger(again), Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio

Probably need one of the SD guys to turn face.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Immediate RAW Pushes:

* John Morrison
* The Miz

(I think only these 2 are ready for an IMMEDIATE push)

Future RAW Pushes:

* Daniel Bryan
* Ted Dibiase
* Justin Gabriel

* Christian (upon his return) or for now, Jack Swagger (I dont think hes a main event player now)
* Kofi Kingston
* Dolph Ziggler

* Alberto Del Rio
* Drew McIntyre
* Cody Rhodes

·
I GOT ALOT LEFT IN THE TANK
4,541 Posts
Immediate Raw Pushes:
CM Punk
The Miz
Daniel Bryan

Immediate Smackdown Pushes:
Kofi Kingston
Christian
Alberto Del Rio

Future Pushes:
The draft is going to completely screw this list up.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you ask me, I say at this point, they should try merging the brands, unifying the world titles after Wrestlemania and just try it out for a year, see if it runs smoothly, and if ratings go up or not.

I agree with this. I think the brand split is hurting them right now with the current state of the roster. And merging the brands wouldn't have to be a permanant thing. They could come up with a story arc that allows for a lot of crossovers and see how it works out. RAW is especially thin right now after losing Edge, Jericho, and now Punk. The roster split is just an artificial constraint that works to their disadvantage, and you end up with weak shows like last night's RAW.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Immediate RAW Pushes
The Miz
- Already one of Raw's top stars. He is literally one cash-in away from becoming a headliner.

John Morrison
- He's scored a few wins over Jericho, which put him over huge. But maybe he should trade a few victories with Sheamus before he gets there.

CM Punk
- He is a main eventer to me, in the sense that Chris Jericho was a main eventer. He can compete for the Intercontinental/US Titles one night, and challenge for the world title the next night and it won't make a difference. He is already a 3-time World Heavyweight Champion, so he can easily be inserted back into the main event whenever he gets back from injury.

Honorable Mentions: Ezekiel Jackson, R-Truth.

Future RAW Pushes
Daniel Bryan
- I predict he'll be the next GUY for the company. He's somebody everybody can relate to and he's incredibly over right now (Especially during the match). I'd love to see him have a year long reign with the US Championship, stealing the show on PPV every month. That would be great for him and the title.

David Hart Smith
- I've been saying he'll be huge ever since his original debut. He's awesome in the ring and like MVP and Daniel Bryan, inserts some of the Japanese strong style into his moveset. I've seen his heel work and he can play a goofy heel extremely well. He could become the next Kurt Angle, character wise.

Honorable Mentions: Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase.

Immediate Smackdown! Pushes
MVP
- He is the complete package, and should have been in the main event for the past 2 years now. The draft to Raw completely ruined his career, and it's only starting to pick itself back up now. He NEEDS to become Intercontinental Champion at Survivor Series.

Christian
- Smackdown's main event scene isn't exactly "stacked", so why he's not already there is a mystery to me. He can wrestle really well, he can talk on the mic and has enough of fans peeps to become a credible headliner. I predict he'll return at the Rumble and will eliminate Del Rio. Hopefully they'll take it from there.

Alberto Del Rio
- He is already over and he can go extremely well in the ring. He has a unique personality and can talk on the mic, I'm kinda hoping they pull the trigger on him now instead of leaving it until it's too late like MVP. You never know when WWE are going to change their mind.. If Wade Barrett, Jack Swagger and Sheamus can get pre-mature title shots, then Del Rio certaintly can. I'm a fan of all three of those guys, but I don't see why Alberto would be any different.

Honorable Mention: Kofi Kingston.

Future Smackdown! Pushes
Drew McIntyre
- Future World Champion, no doubt. I just hope they're not going with the face turn, cause that can completely tarnish his character and future (especially if he starts wearing kilts again). They need to use the chosen one gimmick to it's full potential. Just imagine him as the Corporate Champion..

Chris Masters
- Funny how WWE pushed him to the moon when he was green as hell, but now that he's developed "workrate", he's stuck to jobbing on WWE Superstars. He's got the size, look and talent to become a big player. First he needs to get his old entrance back, maybe get a good run with the Intercontinental Championship and go from there. Masters is more talented than alot of the guys.

Honorable Mentions: Kaval, Cody Rhodes.

Reactions: ABrown

·
Registered
179 Posts
Raw: Punk, Riley, Miz

SmackDown: Christian, Del Rio, Kofi

I'm not gonna bother with who should be elevated now or in the future, because there's only a few people worth the push anyway.
^This,and also zeke should be elevated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For me, id like to see The Miz, CM Punk, Kofi, ADR and Christian pushed a bit harder, Maybe pick a couple to push immediately, Probably The Miz, Punk and ADR and see how the main event develops and how the talent is looking at the time when we need more pushes, once some retire. (Please dont push Daniel Bryan just yet, let him settle into the midcard for a bit to become more credible, maybe give him a streak of wins with the US title to build him up as a possible main eventer)

·
Keeping the red flag flying high
2,044 Posts
Raw (immediate) : Miz, Punk (although you could argue he's already a main eventer) & John Morrison

Raw (future) : Bryan, Riley & Justin Gabriel

Honorable mentions: Ezikiel Jackson, Ted Dibiase.... and David Otunga of course.

Smackdown (immediate) : Christian (when he returns), Del Rio, Kofi (Smackdown is in desperate need of some main event faces)

Smackdown (future) : Ziggler, Swagger & Mcintyre

Honorable Mentions: Cody Rhodes, MVP & Kaval

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
A lot of these names being thrown around on this thread are not that likely especially on the Raw side because Raw has John Cena, Randy Orton and Triple H once he returns all on the same show and who are certainly not going to be moved out of the main event scene anytime soon. Those three added to Wade Barrett, CM Punk and Sheamus mean that in all reality there is only one spot left as a main event wrestler on the Raw roster and it is almost certainly going to go to The Miz once he cashes in his Money in the Bank unless Vince McMahon decides to do his yearly burial of the SmackDown roster and have all of their biggest stars move to Raw for no reason at all.

Outside of maybe Bryan Danielson, Justin Gabriel and The Miz i don't see anyone being over enough either with the crowd or have the faith placed in them by WWE management to move into the main event scene, i know that John Morrison is a very good in ring worker but he isn't anywhere near over enough for a proper push and that is why he is usually pushed for a couple of months and then back in the mid card. R-Truth will hopefully never be anywhere near the main event scene and Ted DiBiase, Joe Hennig, Husky Harris, David Otunga, Alex Riley and Big Zeke are a good few years away from doing anything of note.

Over on SmackDown it is a different story because the main strength that their roster has always has is they always have wrestler's who are believable in moving up and down in between the main event scene and the mid card going all the way back to The SmackDown Six in 2002. I would believe any of Christian, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston and MVP in the main event scene and working World title matches on PPV if any of them were pushed for a couple of months beforehand whilst Cody Rhodes is only a good couple of feuds and a strong Intercontinental title reign away from doing the same, there is also Kaval, Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre as well so there is potential main event wrestler's all over their roster.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
On RAW to push right now:

The Miz
John Morrison

- I say The Miz because he's basically there and there isn't any escaping that fact. Morrison should be moved up, he's been in the company 7 years, he's fantastic in ring, the crowd have gotten behind him, he has a great main event look and isn't as bad on the mic as most say...they've put him in a feud with Sheamus, and I approve of the move up...PUSH HIM!

On Smackdown to push right now:

Jack Swagger
Drew McIntyre

- No Jack Swagger is no longer a main eventer, push him back into that spot please. I think Drew does in fact have it all. He's got a great look, he's good on the mic, he's good in the ring. I think he would actually make a good babyface, but since Smackdown is now short on heels rather than faces, Swagger/McIntyre/Del Rio could make a great heel main event trio.

Push in the future:

Dolph Ziggler: He has it all in my opinion.
Ted Dibiase: Still needs time to grown into his role but will only get better.
Cody Rhodes: Has a ton of promise, but still needs to grow.
Daniel Bryan: On Smackdown he could be a great main event fit.
Justin Gabriel: Could make a popular face champion at some point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Immediate RAW Pushes:

* John Morrison
* The Miz

(I think only these 2 are ready for an IMMEDIATE push)

Future RAW Pushes:

* Daniel Bryan
* Ted Dibiase
* Justin Gabriel

* Christian (upon his return) or for now, Jack Swagger (I dont think hes a main event player now)
* Kofi Kingston
* Dolph Ziggler

* Alberto Del Rio
* Drew McIntyre
* Cody Rhodes
AMEN TO THIS!
except for ziggy...

replace him with MVP PLEASE!!!!

and @OP what do you mean EDGE will be retiring in the next few years?
if im not mistaken he is only in his mid 30's no?

imo when HHH retires in the next few years EDGE will become the new "measuring stick" the new "MAN" you must beat to be the man if you will...

also can someone update me on takes injury?

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AMEN TO THIS!
except for ziggy...

replace him with MVP PLEASE!!!!

and @OP what do you mean EDGE will be retiring in the next few years?
if im not mistaken he is only in his mid 30's no?

imo when HHH retires in the next few years EDGE will become the new "measuring stick" the new "MAN" you must beat to be the man if you will...

also can someone update me on takes injury?
A) Ziggler is awesome.

B) Edge recently stated in an interview that he is probably going to retire two years from now. He just turned 37 on Oct. 30th so two years from now he will be 39. Not a bad age to go out after almost 15 years with the company and millions of dollars banked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RAW: Punk (build him back up), John Morrison
RAW in the future: Riley

SD: Christian, MVP
SD in the future: Del Rio, and eventually Chris Masters if they ever decide to stop making him job

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts