Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen attitude, ruthless aggression and PG, looked back on Next Generation and Rock and Roll. Through out it all there have been three big draws; Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. These three had the ability to make a massive amount of cash. The latter two were two of the greatest wrestlers ever. The attitude era was the final golden age of wrestling, mostly due to The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin. When they left, it was the end of that golden age. Also the WWE has been doing worse and worse financially. The biggest draw in wrestling since Attitude has arguably been Wrestlemania itself. Every year the WWE puts a good show on, it made 2005-2010 memorable for that reason. I believe that the WWE has survived due to this, but Wrestlemania has been memorable due to the thick roster. Just take a look at the main event scene of this time period.

Shawn Michaels
The Undertaker
John Cena
Edge
Chris Jericho
Triple H
Batista
Randy Orton

That makes a thick roster. Oddly enough, the greatest moments of that period have seen the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels have being involved. The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels have arguably produced their best work in this period. This just shows how vital they have been to that time period, John Cena had serious help carrying the company. In 2010 the WWE found themselves in serious trouble, when Michaels retired, UT and Triple H wrestle occasionally, Chris Jericho and Batista were gone, and Edge was in his final year. In 2010 the ratings have dropped tremendously, and so has the financial figures. With such a this roster Wrestlemania 27 and all future Wrestlemanias seemed like nothing special in the slightest. Wrestlemania 27 was destined to be one of the worst Wrestlemanias ever, financially. Triple H and The Undertaker added that special moment, and quality to Wrestlemania, but it was The Rock who saved the buy rate, and turned into one of the most profitable Wrestlemanias ever just by simply appearing. Yes Survivor Series 2011 did not do amazingly well, but that is due to The Rock's match being a tag team and only appearing once to promote it. If The Rock hadn't been at Wrestlemania, the buy rates would have been poor, and had The Undertaker and Triple H not been at Wrestlemania it would have been like a Monday Night Raw.

Yet there have been complaints about The Rock maineventing Wrestlemania by members of the WWE Roster. But there is no doubt The Rock is needed at Wrestlemania to make it feel like a Wrestlemania and not an average pay per view or an episode of Monday Night Raw.You also have to remember that The Rock was just as instrumental to The WWE as WWE was to The Rock, had it not been for both The Rock and Stone Cold, WWE would be out of business and it would be WCW. The Rock is a legit huge movie star, no wrestler has achieved that not even Hulk Hogan.The Rock doesn't need the WWE, now it's only WWE gaining. John Cena vs The Rock, takes and otherwise average Wrestlemania to possibly one of the best ever. If Triple H, The Undertaker and Chris Jericho were not wrestling on top of that, Wrestlemania's main events would be something like: Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan and CM Punk vs The Miz/Dolph Ziggler, that would be like a Monday Night Raw or an average pay per view. The WWE Roster should be more concerned with becoming great then, a legend taking their spot at wrestlemania. Because I'm afraid it's not their spot, as they can't draw shit, or make Wrestlemania 28, a Wrestlemania.

The Undertaker is hopefully here until Wrestlemania 30, The Rock is definitely at Wrestlemania 29, Stone Cold is probably going to wrestle at Wrestlemani 29, its possible Triple H will, Brock Lesnar who was the biggest MMA draw most likely will be at Wrestlemania 29. It's highly likely that WWE can get The Rock, Stone Cold and Triple H to wrestle at Wrestlemania 30 as that is a milestone Wrestlemania. So These stars can carry Wrestlemania for the next three years. Possibly even Summerslams and etc. Triple H and The Undertaker have been talking about a certain breed of Wrestler, and how that breed is dying. I see that happening at Wrestlemania 30, that will most likely be the true end of the 'Outlaws'. When that happens the WWE is in serious trouble, no doubt.

After Wrestlemania 30 my prediction is that WWE will have such a thin roster, that they could eventually face bankruptcy. John Cena and Randy Orton will no doubt continue being maineventers but for the WWE to be in business in the next 20 years they need a draw on the level of Hulk Hogan/ Stone Cold and The Rock.

However there is one man who is 50/50 of being a top draw or just a main eventer, he's not far a way from becoming a top draw on the level of Stone Cold/ The Rock/ Hulk Hogan, he stands out from every full time wrestler on the current roster. Like Stone Cold, Paul Heyman sees something in him. That man is CM Punk. The torch was definitely passed from John Cena to CM Punk at Money In The Bank 2011. CM Punk has always stood out from the rest but at the point of Money In The Bank it seemed like he would become a top draw, making the biggest draws in Wrestling History Hulk Hogan/Stone Cold/The Rock/CM Punk. At the moment he is at the same level of John Cena. Its due to Summer storyline not being spot on and his momentum being killed. CM Punk can still become a top draw and very well could. Everybody knows it's 50/50 as to whether he will. The question is how to do it, a win over Stone Cold Steve Austin at a Wrestlemania and perhaps a win over The Rock would go a long way, but CM Punk needs to show the same hunger, and controversy he did at Money In The Bank. I hope he does, as otherwise the WWE is in serious trouble in the future. The future of the WWE is in the hands of CM Punk.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: WWE's future is scary unless CM Punk can become A draw on the level of The Rock/S

WWE will continue to make money. They won't have the fan support and interest they used to have, but they will still make money. Remember that.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
Re: WWE's future is scary unless CM Punk can become A draw on the level of The Rock/S

Face bankruptcy? are you crazy this is a company that can run a film division year in year out at a $5mil loss.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts

CM Punk is not the future.

According to you, the WWE has 3 more Wrestlemanias before they need their next "Stone Cold". In other words, as Triple H said "The next Stone Cold's out there, we just gotta find him". WWE have plenty of time to be carried by Brock/Rock/HHH/Taker before they need him.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

CM Punk is not the future.

According to you, the WWE has 3 more Wrestlemanias before they need their next "Stone Cold". In other words, as Triple H said "The next Stone Cold's out there, we just gotta find him". WWE have plenty of time to be carried by Brock/Rock/HHH/Taker before they need him.
CM Punk is the future.

Punk is undoubtedly the top mic worker currently in the WWE, he's the most believable talker I've ever seen and he's able to be funny and/or serious depending upon the situation.

CM Punk's popularity has absolutely skyrocketed last year.

He was always pretty over with the crowd, and in my own experience at live events, he sold a solid amount of merchandise for someone who was hardly ever really booked like a top guy.

But when Punk cut that phenomenal promo back in, he became one of the WWE's most popular superstars seemingly over night. The WWE was essentially forced to start booking Punk in that anti-hero/face role, and it didn't take long for Punk to become the company's No. 1 merchandise seller.

Yes, Punk ousted John Cena from the top spot.

If he can maintain that high level of popularity for another few years, the push and title reigns that come along with it will almost assuredly send him to the top.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts

CM Punk is the future.

Punk is undoubtedly the top mic worker currently in the WWE, he's the most believable talker I've ever seen and he's able to be funny and/or serious depending upon the situation.

He was always pretty over with the crowd, and in my own experience at live events, he sold a solid amount of merchandise for someone who was hardly ever really booked like a top guy.

But when Punk cut that phenomenal promo back in, he became one of the WWE's most popular superstars seemingly over night. The WWE was essentially forced to start booking Punk in that anti-hero/face role, and it didn't take long for Punk to become the company's No. 1 merchandise seller.

If he can maintain that high level of popularity for another few years, the push and title reigns that come along with it will almost assuredly send him to the top.
Cena is the top guy according to the WWE. I'd go with their official statements of your opinion.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Punk is a mid card champion who is not marketable as the top face. He is not the future, he is just a transitional champion with mostly uninteresting filler feuds.

The next austin/rock is definitely out there but 100% surely its not CM PUNK.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

CM Punk is the future.

Yeah ''clown shoes'' had me on the floor

-He peaked last summer

-So is Santino
-Same guy
-Yeah thats why he main evented Wrestlemania with Rock and had a program with Lesnar -_-

:gun:

·
Registered
6,978 Posts

What zxLegionxz said. Punk may have been WWE Champion for awile, but he hasen't been the Main Event. That's still John Cena. Also besides MITB, Punk dosen't draw, and isn't as good right now as in the summer.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts

No. WWE isn't going to find the new Rock or Austin right now because they are in a transitional period. And it's not like 1996 when pro wrestling was suddenly becoming cool again thanks to the moves WCW made, which effectively set the condition in which WWE's product could grow and mature. The star power of their roster today is weak, which is why they are in overdrive creating new stars: CM Punk; Daniel Bryan; Sheamus; The Miz (he'll be back at some point). These are stars who are meant to bridge WWE to whatever the next era is (which has probably already begun, unless this period of time actually goes down as a transitional period).

The industry isn't ready, there's no foundation within WWE, nor are the resources available at this time to shepherd the next Austin or Rock to the top. The Extreme Rules finish last night sort of told the tale. Cena's still your top guy. He's still the same babyface he's been for ages now. Until that changes, nothing else can. WWE will continue to be almost perpetually stuck.

As big of a fan as I am of CM Punk, I don't think he'll ever reach Austin/Rock heights. This isn't the late '90s. The wrestling industry is shriveling from within once you get beyond WWE, and as far as WWE goes, things are more or less stagnant. Live gates are decent, for the most part nothing alarming but nothing sublime, Wrestlemania was an enormous success, merchandise is down but okay, PPV buys are down across the board aside from Wrestlemania and probably Extreme Rules.

I think the problem Punk marks have had is saddling their hero and themselves with the expectation/wish that he could be the new Stone Cold Steve Austin, and consequently every stride and achievement he makes feels like it's somehow underwhelming. We can't overstate how damned huge yuo have to be once you finally reach the top to be even in that strata of Austin. If you're nowhere near it and you're where Punk is now, the odds of you reaching it are barely existent. It's very possible he could still attain a status/drawing ability on the order of, say, Undertaker or Triple H, I think, but even there, he's not even in that ballpark yet. He's still their second-biggest full-time star, though, I just want to make that clear. He surpassed Orton some months ago and in some ways he fits as having the unmitigated potential to be what WWE was envisioning and hoping Orton could be a couple of years ago as the chief adult draw to complement Cena.

One thing is, it's too bad the Summer of Punk/"Conspiracy" angle became a labyrinthine mess. WWE is horrid at booking star-making angles; they quite frankly have fucked up every single one of them since the Edge/Cena feud put Edge over the top as their new poster boy's best rival. For a few months it seemed like they had this grand idea in store for Punk, and as those months elapsed, the reality crystalized--whatever plan they did have was completely fucked and the rest of it was a painful week-to-week rabbit hole that led nowhere. So, they finally gave up on their complex angle and simply had Punk go after the WWE Championship he had lost three months earlier and then grab onto it for as long as they can have him carry it in the workmanlike effort to put him over the top as firmly established. Which, sadly, he won't ever quite be until he picks up just one clean victory over a legitimate main event threat. Going over Jericho cleanly twice in a row is a decent consolation prize but in 2012 it doesn't mean what it did when Cena blasted through Jericho. It's something, though, and something is always better than nothing. Well, when the something is good, at least.

Reactions: Danthree10

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

I would rather have multiple guys at Punks level than just one person that the entire company revolves around. It make for better TV and more people cN invest in sufferer superstars. If you don't like this main wrestler, you'll probably like this one. Having multiple big guys instead of one mega star works way better IMO.

·
#63notout
4,196 Posts

CM Punk had Top Star potential last summer, now they've turned him into a babyface now i'm not quite sure, I'm a big fan of Punk i'd like to see it happen, but it doesn't seem likely to me at this point because of the way he's being used.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts

I love Punk and DB, but neither of those guys will be the new top dog, imo. Not on a Hogan/SCSA/Rock and partial Cena level. I see them having great carrers and a fatefull fanbase, which will keep them relevant for years, but never quite top dog position, for long at least. Both of them are more of the HBK/ Brett/Taker level, imo. Great wrestlers with a huge carrere but not the face of the company.

It's interresting to see who will step up. Who will be build up for it. No one on the roster has the presence or charisma to be that guy. It could be someone in FCW, or it could be a guy in the indies. We know they are looking.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

CM Punk is the future.

Now i'm a HUGE mark for CM Punk and have been since his ECW days as well as having been a big fan since his heel ROH days but please people enough already. Yes CM Punk is arguably the best all round in ring performer in WWE today and is probably the most popular wrestler with the older demographic around but everyone always proclaiming him as the new Stone Cold Steve Austin because of one worked shoot or as "the future and the now" is simply crazy.

For those who don't know CM Punk is 33 years old and will be 34 later this year meaning he is actually only a year and half younger than John Cena and two years older than Randy Orton and as long as the three of them are on the roster at the same time CM Punk will be the number two guy at best. I would love to see CM Punk as the top guy but he doesn't draw like John Cena, have the mainstream or crossover appeal that John Cena does, sell as merchandise as John Cena despite what people say based on one item which not long afterwards was overtaken by The Rock's new t-shirt and whether his blind haters want to admit it or not has actually lost a lot of the momentum he had last year which again whether people accept it or not came about because he was feuding with John Cena.

The way it actually is now is that John Cena covers the children, women and teenagers under 16 as well as some men whilst CM Punk covers the older demographic of men 16+ and between them they also cover merchandise. The reality is though that CM Punk will need to do something absolutely epic in order for him to be pushed ahead of John Cena which will the roster WWE has isn't really a viable option. When Stone Cold Steve Austin broke through he was involved in the hottest feuds against Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels at their peak whilst The Rock had Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley and Triple H at their peak and wrestling was going through a boom period.

Now wrestling struggles to pull in five million viewers even during WrestleMania season so how anyone is expected to become a draw like Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock or Hulk Hogan is beyone me. The fact that WWE had managed to stay consistent in the ratings for a couple of years up until last summer and the summer before when Randy Orton was being pushed hard shows how well John Cena has done in keeping ratings as they are. There is a reason why John Cena has remained in the same spot for seven years and that is because WWE, who despite what people believe, no better than anyone else when it comes to who does the most for them in terms of bringing money in, ratings or PPV buyrates and was actually refunding money on house shows that John Cena didn't appear on.

What CM Punk needs to do is pick up the pace again like he did last summer and not become complacent in the spot that he is simply because he is currently WWE champion, he promised to "make this shit cool again" and promised "change" but the reality the only change is CM Punk is WWE champion rather than John Cena right now. Stone Cold Steve Austin in between mid 1997 and late 1999 made Raw unmissable and featured throughout the whole show every week and we were not bored by it. The Rock in between late 1999 and early 2001 was the same and again we were not bored and that is because they kept up the pace whereas CM Punk hasn't and i don't want to hear the "it is the creative's fault" or "he isn't being booked right" because he is being booked a hell of a lot better than almost everyone else.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts

I'd wager that WWE's future is scary if they can't make the right calls at the right time. Case in point, Cena/Lesnar last night. In fact, practically every big thing/storyline they've had for the past few years they have completely bottled apart from HHH/Taker/HBK this year. Rock/Cena? Bottled. Nexus? Bottled. Punk/HHH/Nash? Bottled. All of them, bottled. If they can't make the right decisions they aren't ever going to progress anywhere never mind who can draw and who can't.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Now wrestling struggles to pull in five million viewers even during WrestleMania season so how anyone is expected to become a draw like Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock or Hulk Hogan is beyone me. The fact that WWE had managed to stay consistent in the ratings for a couple of years up until last summer and the summer before when Randy Orton was being pushed hard shows how well John Cena has done in keeping ratings as they are. There is a reason why John Cena has remained in the same spot for seven years and that is because WWE, who despite what people believe, no better than anyone else when it comes to who does the most for them in terms of bringing money in, ratings or PPV buyrates and was actually refunding money on house shows that John Cena didn't appear on.
LOL talk about overrating John cena's drawing power.

The guy is not a PPV draw. There have been plenty of house shows that sold out without him. PPVs that have drawn good buyrate without cena being involved like TLC 2011 for example. WWE brand draws. When was the last time RAW ratings were down because cena wasnt advertised?

And Cross-over my ass! The Rock still remains the only one who truly made that crossover to main stream. If cena was truly that kinda draw, WWE wouldnt have to rely on the past superstars like HHH/Taker/Hbk or bring back the rocks and lesnars.

The only reason cena even got pushed as the face is his merchandise sales. He is not that big of a draw, you're clearly overrating him beyond his true worth.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Wasn't it reported a while back that Punk actually lost viewers? Doesn't sound like such a bright future if that's true. Like someone already said...Punk peaked last summer in terms of popularity. I'd dare say it but it looks like a heel has taken his place already (Daniel Bryan). Punk will never be on the level of Austin or Rock.

He's more like a modern Jericho. Is a big star but he's not a BIG star. He'll always remain just outside those top few people everyone mentions...it will be like "here's the real stars oh, and Punk too".

1 - 20 of 89 Posts