Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding signing new talents, there is no hard and fast rule but there's a belief within WWE that they have enough "small guys" and the problem with business is there are already too many and not enough "big guys." Unless someone is really good, WWE is not looking to sign small guys right now. They also don't want to sign ROH guys right now but that doesn't mean Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards won't get picked up.

There's a feeling that guys who work independents and travel and have somewhat of a name already have bad habits, and if they are at the higher level, if WWE signs them and even if they agree to take the pay cut to WWE entry level, that the talent won’t be happy over the long haul. It was also said WWE doesn't want talents who know they can get fired, go back to the indies and be successful without WWE. They want guys with the impression that their careers in wrestling depend on making it in WWE.

Wrestling observer newsletter

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
You may as well post the whole thing:

In asking around regarding stories about who they are signing and such what it is and isn’t true. There is no hard and fast rule, but there is the belief that they have enough “small guys” and the problem with business is there are already too many and not enough “big guys.” Unless someone is really good, they are not going to sign small guys. They also don’t want to sign ROH guys right now, although this doesn’t mean Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards (who fit into both categories) are dead in the water, because they aren’t. They actually fit into the potential tag team category. They did not get e-mails the last week saying the company decided to pass on them like almost everyone else at the tryout camp they were at got. But as a general rule, if they weren’t as talented as they are, and didn’t have key guys pushing for them who saw them in ROH, they would be.

The general rule HHH has is that he wants to be training guys either from scratch, or getting younger guys with the right look and size, with all the money they’ve spent on developmental, and get them before they make names on the indie scene. Even though their doctrine today would mean Punk and Bryan, two of their three current most over stars, would have a hard time getting in the door. The feeling is the guys who work indies and travel and have somewhat of a name have bad habits, and if they are at the higher level, if they sign them and even if they agree to take the pay cut to WWE entry level, that they won’t be happy over the long haul, It was also said they don’t want guys who know they can get fired and go back and be successful without WWE. They want guys with the impression that their careers in wrestling depend on making it in WWE.
This mentality will of course be easily ripped apart.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How is that a change? Punk and Bryan barely got through the door, Punk was signed after performing really well in a trial match and because of hype, and was only really meant to be stuck in OVW. Bryan is a once in a generation talent, who had massive hype, and also had a foot in the door via HBK.

Its a misguided policy of course, but they are inconsistent with it anyway. If you can swallow a ton of shit, you have a chance regardless of size

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Eddie and Davey shouldn't be talking to the dirt sheets if they want to get signed.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
How is that a change? Punk and Bryan barely got through the door, Punk was signed after performing really well in a trial match and because of hype, and was only really meant to be stuck in OVW. Bryan is a once in a generation talent, who had massive hype, and also had a foot in the door via HBK.

Its a misguided policy of course, but they are inconsistent with it anyway. If you can swallow a ton of shit, you have a chance regardless of size
They've actually been binging on hiring indie talent for the last 2-3 years. Ambrose, Rollins, Ohno, Cesaro, Sami Zayn, Sami Callihan, Kharma, Adrian Neville, Paige, Emma, Sasha Banks, AJ, Samuray Del Sol, Shaun Ricker, Corey Graves, Xavier Woods, and many more in developmental.

So it is a change if from here on out, they want to concentrate on non-wrestling athletes trained from scratch.

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
Honestly, this sounds like a lot of it could be seen a response to Hero and his reported attitude since they signed him.

Thinks he's too good to be in developmental, knows he can go back to the indies,

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Wonder what they mean by bad habits
Triple H elaborated on said bad habits in an interview recently. Basically it's where an indie talent has decided they're the best they can get, and blow off advice from veteran road agents like Arn Anderson or guys like William Regal, trying to dictate their development themselves instead. Think Low Ki/Kaval or Teddy Hart.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
I wonder if WWE tried contacting Hafthor Björnnsen, according to that report he would be their dream wrestler to form into a WWE guy. 6'9"-6'10" 419lbs lean, 24 years old and currently a top level WSM competitor so a genetic freak definitely, potentially the next Mark Henry except even bigger lol. I've never seen a ripped 400+lbs guy before, he'd make look Big Show look normal and Ryback and all the other 300lbs guys look small.

As far as signing more indy talents goes, they already raided most good indy talent so there's no reason to go for the b-level indy guys if they already got Cesaro, Brian, El Generico, PAC and more.

Reactions: THANOS

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,325 Posts
So basically WWE wants people they can brainwash, instead independent thinkers. I really do think there should be a balance though. Most guys if not all who have worked the indies for years, are great workers, and just like the days of the territories, perfected their craft nicely.

Reactions: Chismo

·
All out of bubblegum.
5,301 Posts
Most guys if not all who have worked the indies for years, are great workers
:lmao

I imagine bad habits largely refer to ridiculous spots and no selling. The ridiculously dangerous piledriver on apron that broke BJ Whitmer's neck probably wasn't even a match ending spot...

Not signing more indie talents doesnt mean thats forever and don't make out like it is. Now they have the NXT roster stacked with great workers like Zayne and Neville who can pass wisdom onto athletes whilst the greener guys force them to slow down.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Basically everyone that meant anything in WWE in the past 30 years came from other territories or companies such as Hogan, Warrior, Hennig, DiBiase, The Harts, Austin, Triple H, Taker, Foley, Flair, Goldberg, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Show, Hall, Nash, RVD and most recently, Punk and Bryan

In short, this mentality is the biggest bunch of BS I have heard in my whole entire life.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I agree we need more big men and less midgets

the era of the midget needs to end, it killed the business (as Kevin Nash said)

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
So basically WWE wants people they can brainwash, instead independent thinkers. I really do think there should be a balance though. Most guys if not all who have worked the indies for years, are great workers, and just like the days of the territories, perfected their craft nicely.
Not true in the least. There are thousands and thousands of indie wrestlers. For every Sami Zayn or Daniel Bryan, there are a dozen nobodies that are no good.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
good old wwe, always preying and leaching off the hopes and dreams of the little guy

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

I think there should be more midgets because currently they're the only thing that gains viewers. Not ADR and the crappy guys you mark for. Punk is no midget by the way. Kevin Nash was never good for business so he's the last guy to even think about opening his mouth.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts

Kevin Nash, the lowest drawing WWF champion of all time, at a time when the champion WAS the face of the company no matter what?

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
It was also said they don’t want guys who know they can get fired and go back and be successful without WWE. They want guys with the impression that their careers in wrestling depend on making it in WWE.
Oh my god... :weezy:kobe6

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,325 Posts
Not true in the least. There are thousands and thousands of indie wrestlers. For every Sami Zayn or Daniel Bryan, there are a dozen nobodies that are no good.
I meant that for the guys who got into WWE. Of course there are guys on the indy scene who are shit. But the ones WWE picked up were all good. Bryan, Punk, Cesaro, Ambrose, Rollins, Harper, Alberto Del Rio. They're all good workers who worked on the indy scene, or in ADR's case Mexico. My point being, is that they're well traveled and understand the business from their experience, so they are reliable workers and make for good in ring generals.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts