Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walter vs. Tyler Bate - NXT UK TakeOver Cardiff

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
#TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
3,419 Posts
In Your House: Bad Blood - Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (Hell in a Cell)

This is, hands down, my all-time favorite match. I haven't seen a match that was so damn perfect. The build-up, story, intensity, blood, violence, timing, madness, and outstanding finish in one match.

The second closest isn't on that list, I'm afraid. :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a lot of respect for Dave M and what he has contributed to the business but Shawn/taker, Bret Austin, Cena Punk and Bret Owen are so far above the rest of these its untrue. Maybe I'm getting old but the others mentioned (WM10 ladder match aside) don't have the kind of ring Psychology and story that i love. Each to their own i guess but Bret Austin for me is the best ever WWF/E match. Oh and how does Canadian Stampede Main Event not get a 5*?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I never got the hype around Austin/Bret. I get the great story with the doubleturn and the fallout but bell to bell it felt boring to me. Also Zayn/Neville at r evolution was way better than the nxt matches listed imo but well well probably going with Bad blood hbk/taker

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I voted for Michaels/Undertaker but that's only my *counts* 3rd favorite match in company history. #1 would be the Canadian Stampede 10 Man Tag and #2 being HHH/Cactus from Royal Rumble 2000.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
How can anyone say they think Walter vs Tyler Bait or a an MXT ladder spot feat is better than Bret vs Owen?

How did we go from one to the other?

Meltzer’s perspective on wrestling is so warped and weird these days, probably due to wrestlers like Adam Cole and the Bucks paying him. What a sad state of the industry when you look at this list.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Bret/Austin --> best WWE match IMHO
HBK/Taker ---> blueprint for hell in a cell and an all-time goat debut
Punk/Cena ---> modern classic great atmosphere
Bret/Owen ---> just amazing stuff

None of these recent matches are even in the ballpark for me.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Those NXT matches aren’t even close to being 5 star matches, overrated

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,062 Posts
The fact that Meltzer has Cole vs Gargano’s no psychology spot fest rated 5 stars, but not Taker vs HBK WM25 tells me his option is utter trash.

No Austin vs Rock? No Rock vs Hogan? TLC 1?

Of that list, it’s Bret vs Austin for me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Matches that could be on this list (imo). By saying that, I might mis-remember some of them having watched them so long ago.

Taker vs HBK - WM25
Angle vs Brock - WM19
Rock vs Stone Cold - WM17
HBK vs HHH - Summersam02
Shane vs Kane - SS06 (I think, the ambulance match)
Eddie vs Brock - No Way Out (although this one I feel might not make it based off how he won)
Benoit vs HHH vs HBK - WM20
Team Orton vs Team HHH - SS04
Triple threat tag team match between Edge/Christian, Dudley's, and Hardy's - WM17

And a few on top of that I can't fully remember but know I loved them at the time
The 05 RR itself
Taker vs Vince - SS03
Angle vs HBK - WM21
Roman Reigns vs AJ - Extreme Rules 2017
Sami Zayn vs Nakamura on his NXT debut
Foley vs Taker - King of the Ring
HHH vs Taker - WM28
Elimination Chamber with Goldberg - Summerslam03
Asuka vs Charlotte - WM34
Orton vs Christian - Summerslam2011
Money In The Bank - WM21

I'm not saying all these are 5 stars, but these are mostly better than a lot of those NXT matches he gave 5 stars.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
For me it's HBK/Taker at HIAC, just edgeing out Hart and Austin I think.

The buildup to the match was perfect with DX always saving Shawn from Taker before he could be completely destroyed. So in the HIAC there was nowhere to go. Shawn did what he does best, take an ass whooping by throwing himself around a ring and taking bumps like no one else can. Taker looked like fucking Satan playing with his kill, the whole thing was stellar.

I've always never seen the hype in Punk/Cena as a 5 star match. Punk botches a few times, and the ending with Cena running out to stop interference and just stupid. His distraction on that is what led to the finish, they didn't even put Punk over completely clean. No way is that a 5 star match.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Cena/Punk
Shawn/Taker

Watching both live when they happened (Cena/Punk in person) was amazing. Between the two I vote for Cena/Punk, I was in the crowd that night and holy shit, it was incredible. Punk was a hero that night and in all the years I’ve been watching wrestling I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Legendary match, great storyline and great payoff, the whole thing was done perfectly. It gets my vote for those reasons alone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Canadian Stampede 10-man and Austin/HHH vs. Jericho/Benoit on Raw should by all rights be 5 star matches. I'd put either of those up against Austin/Bret or Taker/HBK.

·
#TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
3,419 Posts
Honestly, those 5 5 star WWE matches feel more special than any of the NXT ones. It doesn't really make me want to watch them compared to the others.

NXT matches feel like they're just there and very whatever. I'm sure they are good or something but doesn't have the same luster compared to those 5 matches.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts