Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi :)

Among every matches rated 5 stars by Dave Meltzer at WWE, which one is your favorite?

Personally, my favorite is Gargano-Cole at NXT Takeover New York, a very amazing and emotional match.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,197 Posts
Re: The best five-star match at WWE ?

My initial reaction was Bret vs. Owen as a pure match but the impact of Bret vs. Austin can't be overstated and is a great match in itself.

That said, I don't put too much weight into Meltzer's stars.

·
Premium Member
16,576 Posts

Gargano v Andrade - Takeover Philadelphia.

Unpopular opinion - Bret Hart v Austin WM 13 was not a 5 star match. It had a tremendous ending, a good double turn, and the fallout afterwards was better than the match. But, nostalgia blinds most people answering this question.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts

Unpopular opinion - Bret Hart v Austin WM 13 was not a 5 star match. It had a tremendous ending, a good double turn, and the fallout afterwards was better than the match. But, nostalgia blinds most people answering this question.
Eh I won't fight you about that, your opinion, and I think there are errors in that match ppl overlook...mainly the blading spot. Much like I think Eddie vs Ootani at Starcade 95 is a legit 5 star match the whole rating system is subjective...might as well be asking "What is the best match ever?" That's a lot more spicy.

·
Asuka
96,465 Posts

Gargano vs Almas, but the best match in WWE history is Angle vs Benoit at Royal Rumble 2003, which he didn't give 5 stars too. His opinion is just an opinion, and judging by how much he worships Adam Cole, it's not an opinion I tend to take too seriously, as much as I like Daves insights on the business. His view of in ring wrestling is just different.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Their match at 96 survivor series is far better

·
Registered
16,454 Posts

Man thats like choosing between your own children...

1. Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 13
2. CM Punk vs John Cena - Money In The Bank 2011
3. Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano - NXT TakeOver Philadelphia
4. Walter vs. Tyler Bate - NXT UK TakeOver Cardiff
5. Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 10

I actually preferred Bret v Owen at Wrestlemania 10 over their match at Summerslam, so that's unfortunate. Note that isnt my list of best matches, just Meltzer restricted :p

Gargano vs Almas, but the best match in WWE history is Angle vs Benoit at Royal Rumble 2003, which he didn't give 5 stars too. His opinion is just an opinion, and judging by how much he worships Adam Cole, it's not an opinion I tend to take too seriously, as much as I like Daves insights on the business. His view of in ring wrestling is just different.
If I cared that much about his ratings I'd be disgusted that never got 5 stars, it's one of my favourites.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts

Crazy that over half of that list happened in NXT over the past 2 years. I think basically, the more athletic spots a match has, the more likely Meltzer is to overrate it. The Cole vs. Gargano matches kinda jumped the shark for me in that regard.

Also, I'm shocked that neither of the HBK vs. Undertaker WM matches got the 5 star nod. To me, the WM25 match is the greatest match ever.

From that list though... Gargano vs. Almas. They did the modern style without crossing into video game territory, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

If it was just based on pure work rate, probably Gargano vs. Almas, but in terms of storytelling and importance, Austin vs. Hart can't be matched. That was without question the most important match in the company's history and they both rose to the occasion.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

All of those are overrated except for Gargano vs. Almas.

He's rated a bunch of matches ****3/4 that are better than those.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts

Wait, the HBK vs Taker WM match wasn't 5 stars?

I was already looking for that one as soon as I saw the topic but wasn't there.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

Well, I mean it’s an opinion, but the last part of your paragraph is not. Nostalgia does not inflate or overrate that match. The match still holds up.

There were innovative spots and sequences in that match that were very different for the time. The brawling into the crowd, especially at the mainstream level was fairly new. The figure four spot on the ring post, the electrical cord around the neck/ring bell spot, among several others.

Not to mention the raw emotion of the crowd and how they were so invested in both of those characters and how their reaction changed for both men throughout the match.

And of course all of that led to the iconic sharpshooter spot with the blood flowing down Austin’s face in a way that couldn’t have even been scripted better and then the post match happenings.

It was perfect storytelling on top of being something fresh that we hadn’t seen at the level, yet. I agree with you on Almas/Gargano, though. Phenomenal match. And I tend to usually not like the NXT spotfests, but Almas is a great worker.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts

Crazy that over half of that list happened in NXT over the past 2 years. I think basically, the more athletic spots a match has, the more likely Meltzer is to overrate it. The Cole vs. Gargano matches kinda jumped the shark for me in that regard.

Also, I'm shocked that neither of the HBK vs. Undertaker WM matches got the 5 star nod. To me, the WM25 match is the greatest match ever.

From that list though... Gargano vs. Almas. They did the modern style without crossing into video game territory, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.
It's because he is a mark for himself and gets off on giving matches such a high rating...or disappointing people as well, and he prefers spot wrestling over psychology, this is obvious.

·
Distant Relative of Former Def Jam Intern/Presiden
16,254 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts