Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the first who will admit that Vince McMahon was behind many cringeworthy things in WWE history. In almost 40 years he was responsible for many bad gimmicks, storylines and decisions but when it comes to Vince we all need to be fair and admit that he is creative and full of ideas no matter if they're great or not.

If you watch what Triple H did with NXT you have a little preview what Triple Hs vision of WWE looks like and that's the problem.
Like every family business it's common sense that when the big boss dies or retires his children will take over so in the case of Vince and his WWE it was either the option Shane and his wife or Stephanie and her husband. Triple H married a McMahon and that made him a valid candidate to replace Vince one day and after some time it became clear that Triple H will be the one leading WWE in the future.
Triple H respects the business, he wants to learn, it's obvious he takes things serious, he is probably great when it comes to the work in the office, but there is one important thing he doesn't have what Vince has and that's creativity and that's why WWE's future looks lame.

Even Triple H knows that but he knows that he is now in this important position for life so he tries to cover it up and takes shortcuts and that's great athletes doing great in-ring work, sadly that's all he can offer because pro wrestling isn't just in-ring work. So he books tournament after tournament, creates title after title, makes international versions of NXT/WWE and then books more tournaments between those versions so the only storyline is who will win that tournament. In 5 years WWE will not have any real storylines and just look like the olympic games.

Vince maybe took Luke Gallows and gave him a shitty gimmick 12 years ago but at the same he took a bland wrestler in 1990 called Mark Calaway and made him the Undertaker, he tried. If Triple H were in charge back than he would make him a bland wrestler with trunks and call him Mike Callahan and then he would later hire Glen Jacobs and call him Gene Jefferson and then Callahan and Jefferson wrestle for no reason other than who would advance in the finals to compete in some international finals bullshit instead of a Taker vs. his brother feud.

There is only one thing worse than watching a wrestling show with crappy gimmicks and crapy storylines is a wrestling show with no gimmicks and no storylines. Vince had a vision (whether we like it or not) very few had but what Triple H does everyone can do, hire great athletes who wrestle great matches in tournaments.
wrestle wrestle wrestle tournamemnts tournaments uk italy germany tournaments wrestle uk tournaments germany:
that's what WWE will look like with Triple H.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You know what.. This is what i think so too.. Vince, for all his faults, was right about one thing always.. That its not about wrestling, but more about characters..Hence why he emphasised about sports entertainment always...Hence the bad booking calls, because Vince doesnt know what to do with bland boring ones, the characters are what shone before..He got Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker etc before who shone despite the bad booking calls like putting Triple H left right and centre over Austin, The Rock etc in their prime... But today, what do you with the bland boring ones, all of whom can wrestle but can't portray any character nor are they colourful themselves in real life ..And when i mean wrestle, all they do is spots at the end of it, most matches are repetitive and don't really tell a story, sell sell, sell, no sell what you sold, hit your finisher, hit the other finisher, its over..

.And i do blame Triple H for all his bad hires for NXT which ultimately is the main roster today.. His vision of WWE as for a niche crowd doesn't always cut it for me and is wrong.. But what do i know..

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
WWE will be better creatively, but it's too late for anyone to undo the mess Vince has done anyway.

Vince has probably had 1 good idea as opposed to 500 bad ones if you really stop and think about it. And the gap between those good and bad ideas are only getting larger as time goes on.

I will admit that NXT isn't perfect though. One thing my wife pointed out was how bland and generic some of the wrestlers looked even though the match quality is extremely high. However, that's not so much of a HHH problem, but more of a problem with the talent in general.

HHH brings in some of the best in ring performers in the world. But it's up to the talent in NXT to establish a character for themselves which most are having a hard time with imo.

·
Premium Member
16,728 Posts
I am the first who will admit that Vince McMahon was behind many cringeworthy things in WWE history. In almost 40 years he was responsible for many bad gimmicks, storylines and decisions but when it comes to Vince we all need to be fair and admit that he is creative and full of ideas no matter if they're great or not.
You are not the first to admit that. A bunch of creative ideas doesn't mean much when even if 1 out of 1,000 is good. This is why WCW failed with Russo.

WWE isn't for the people who love NXT and professional wrestling. end of story. That is what Vince created. An entertainment company that occasionally has a wrestling match. If you don't want that, HHH and Vince are never going to give you what you want. You're making statements like this forum is any measure of what is making WWE money and what they'll respond to. If this entire website stopped watching WWE right now, WWE wouldn't know it and wouldn't care.

Speak in the reality. Vince wants someone channel flipping to be caught by a 619 or a hot blonde getting porked by Lashley. He's taken the company public and now stock holders want it. HHH will do nothing differently.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts

If you watch what Triple H did with NXT you have a little preview what Triple Hs vision of WWE looks like and that's the problem.
Like every family business it's common sense that when the big boss dies or retires his children will take over so in the case of Vince and his WWE it was either the option Shane and his wife or Stephanie and her husband. Triple H married a McMahon and that made him a valid candidate to replace Vince one day and after some time it became clear that Triple H will be the one leading WWE in the future.
Triple H respects the business, he wants to learn, it's obvious he takes things serious, he is probably great when it comes to the work in the office, but there is one important thing he doesn't have what Vince has and that's creativity and that's why WWE's future looks lame.

Even Triple H knows that but he knows that he is now in this important position for life so he tries to cover it up and takes shortcuts and that's great athletes doing great in-ring work, sadly that's all he can offer because pro wrestling isn't just in-ring work. So he books tournament after tournament, creates title after title, makes international versions of NXT/WWE and then books more tournaments between those versions so the only storyline is who will win that tournament. In 5 years WWE will not have any real storylines and just look like the olympic games.

Vince maybe took Luke Gallows and gave him a shitty gimmick 12 years ago but at the same he took a bland wrestler in 1990 called Mark Calaway and made him the Undertaker, he tried. If Triple H were in charge back than he would make him a bland wrestler with trunks and call him Mike Callahan and then he would later hire Glen Jacobs and call him Gene Jefferson and then Callahan and Jefferson wrestle for no reason other than who would advance in the finals to compete in some international finals bullshit instead of a Taker vs. his brother feud.

There is only one thing worse than watching a wrestling show with crappy gimmicks and crapy storylines is a wrestling show with no gimmicks and no storylines. Vince had a vision (whether we like it or not) very few had but what Triple H does everyone can do, hire great athletes who wrestle great matches in tournaments.
wrestle wrestle wrestle tournamemnts tournaments uk italy germany tournaments wrestle uk tournaments germany:
that's what WWE will look like with Triple H.
Bingo, largely. I've been saying for a while that Levesque's vision for WWE is:

1) A recreated territory system, with NXT outlets in the US, Japan, Europe, and the UK taking the place of NWA affiliates. WWE basically serves as the Jim Crockett Promotions, taking in the very best of the talent

2) A promotional style very similar to early 80s Jim Crockett Promotions and Verne Gagne. Both - especially Verne - prized athletes and de-emphasized gimmicks. That's what Levesque values, and it is clear in NXT.

3) Finally, a bland dark look where the emphasis is on the ring and not the crowd. It does not matter if the WrestleMania of the future is in a football arena or a high school gym. The lights will be turned off, save a single spotlight on the ring. You'll not know the difference. It will look a lot like:

If you love workrate and simulated sports competition, the future WWE will provide it in spades. But you'll never see another Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, or Rock. If they were to arrive now, they would be gimmickless performers called Steve Williams, Terrance Bolleau, Hellwig, Randall Poffo, and Big Dwayne.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Legit laughed out loud at ‘Gene Jefferson’.

Sad but true. We’ll maybe never see another period in WWE where over the top characters exist.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,063 Posts
Even if you don't like NXT's style of wrestling, the talent in general are much better taken care of, get better storylines and used to their strengths better. Good booking goes a long way. It's not always perfect but NXT has always outshined the main roster in that regard.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
"wwe will suck after....", after? what is it now?

·
Premium Member
11,508 Posts
Remember that NXT was/is meant to be a development show. It is not meant to draw casuals - or at least is wasn't before the move to USA. That may change, it may not. But either way, I don't think Trips wanted it to be like Raw or Smackdown.

I agree about the generic characters though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Some of you guys make no sense

for one

Why on earth do some of you guys care about what draws or not? It's not making any difference to your pockets.

Whether someone like Stone Cold Steve Austin exists or not has nothing to do with the blandness of NXT. Vince McMahon did not make Steve Austin, not even close actually - he totally overlooked Steve, Austin got over on his own accord. Ditto with the Rock. Only guy Vince really elevated was Hogan, who was already over before he even brought him to the WWE.

You guys say WWE should prioritize storylines yet slam NXT...makes no sense - NXT is written much better than Raw and Smackdown. You can have good wrestling and good storylines, got no clue why people think you need girls walking around in bikinis - the attitude era wasn't even written well, it was just trendy at its time, hence why its popularity lasted maybe three years despite the booking not changing.

There is a huge gap of time between the Attitude Era and the current NXT era - in between that the WWE was written poorly, and not popular (post Ruthless Aggression era it was less popular than it is now), so again, makes no sense to blame the current problems on the "blandness" of the NXT roster or NXT Alumni.

There are literally as many big personalities in wrestling as there has ever been, that isn't something that goes away. There just isn't the creative need to push and have guys draw. Since i've come back after a long hiatus, I see some people have already gotten into the whole "WWE vs AEW" mark arguments - but let's throw that aside and say that someone like Jon Moxley/Dean Ambross is a pretty big personality, yet in WWE he was booked badly and not really allowed to flesh out his character. That isn't a HHH thing.

Vince McMahon's success comes from the business aspect of pro wrestling not the creative. The majority of WWE history it has been both a bad product and a niche product. WWE is supposed to be McDonalds, except burgers are easier to sell than pro wrestling.

I don't like indie style of wrestling for the most part, but blaming current WWE on HHH is a really ridiculous argument. And I would at least prefer a logical booking show with good plotlines to what ever mess Vince is trying to sell.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Some of you guys make no sense

for one

Why on earth do some of you guys care about what draws or not? It's not making any difference to your pockets.

Whether someone like Stone Cold Steve Austin exists or not has nothing to do with the blandness of NXT. Vince McMahon did not make Steve Austin, not even close actually - he totally overlooked Steve, Austin got over on his own accord. Ditto with the Rock. Only guy Vince really elevated was Hogan, who was already over before he even brought him to the WWE.

You guys say WWE should prioritize storylines yet slam NXT...makes no sense - NXT is written much better than Raw and Smackdown. You can have good wrestling and good storylines, got no clue why people think you need girls walking around in bikinis - the attitude era wasn't even written well, it was just trendy at its time.

There is a huge gap of time between the Attitude Era and the current NXT era - in between that the WWE was written poorly, and not popular (post Ruthless Aggression era it was less popular than it is now), so again, makes no sense to blame the current problems on the "blandness" of the NXT roster or NXT Alumni.

There are literally as many big personalities in wrestling as there has ever been, that isn't something that goes away. There just isn't the creative need to push and have guys draw. Since i've come back after a long hiatus, I see some people have already gotten into the whole "WWE vs AEW" mark arguments - but let's throw that aside and say that someone like Jon Moxley/Dean Ambross is a pretty big personality, yet in WWE he was booked badly and not really allowed to flesh out his character. That isn't a HHH thing.

Vince McMahon's success comes from the business aspect of pro wrestling not the creative. The majority of WWE history it has been both a bad product and a niche product. WWE is supposed to be McDonalds, except burgers are easier to sell than pro wrestling.
Well the fact is NXT is developmental meant to ease people into the main rosters..yet almost all of them fail in that regard (most of the current roster is from NXT)... a bit falling flat dont you think in what Vince expects and what HHH delivers?? Like you said, I totally agree Vince's success derives from the business side driven by characters

1 - 20 of 111 Posts