Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do so many people bash the name "WWE," and insist that WWF was better?

I mean, first of all, it wasn't Vince's decision to make. He was under a court order to change the name! He had no alternative! Why are you blaming WWE for the name change, rather than blaming the World Wildlife Fund for forcing the name change?

Now, I'll admit, the quality of the product has greatly declined in recent years, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the name change. Whether my name is Bob or Steve has no bearing on my personality. Juliet Capulet, of the Shakespearean play "Romeo and Juliet" said it best:

What is a Montague? It's not a hand, or a face, or anything you can touch. It's a name; nothing more!
The thing that I'm sitting in. I call it a chair, but our friends in Mexico call it a silla. What's the difference? It's something that you can stick your ass in, so you don't have to sit on the floor!

Besides, the drop in quality didn't even take place at around the same time that the name change was forced! If they happened simultaneously, you can probably argue that the name change is merely symbolic, like talking about how ring pops were in style in the 90's, despite the actual decade having nothing to do with them. However, even that doesn't help. The WWE kept up its quality for a few months after the name change... maybe even a few years. Everyone remember the feud between Lesnar and Undertaker? How about their EPIC Hell in a Cell match! Oh, how about the feud between Lesnar and Kurt Angle? Oh, what about the main event at Wrestlemania XX, between Triple H, Shawn Micheals, and... somebody else. Yeah, that's it! Anyway, the match itself was epic, wasn't it?

No, WWE isn't bad. The company that Vince McMahon made mainstream has deteriorated, but it shouldn't matter whether the company is called "World Wrestling Entertainment," the "World Wrestling Federation," the "World Wide Wrestling Federation," or the "Capitol Wrestling Corporation." It shouldn't make a difference, one way or another.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Why are you blaming WWE for the name change, rather than blaming the World Wildlife Fund for forcing the name change?
I don't. I blame the World Wildlife Fund. Which is why even though I've been solicited to donate when I'm out and about and have donated to plenty of good causes, I will never donate a cent to THAT WWF.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't. I blame the World Wildlife Fund. Which is why even though I've been solicited to donate when I'm out and about and have donated to plenty of good causes, I will never donate a cent to THAT WWF.
Good. But, why does the general wrestling fanbase feel differently?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts