Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE will be turning Damien Sandow babyface soon. It was discussed earlier this year to have Sandow cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase but lose. That idea appears to be off the table now and it looks like a World Heavyweight Title run is in his future.

Sandow was reportedly told not to do cartwheels and singing any more, in part because that's the gimmick for NXT's Aiden English now. Word is that Vince McMahon feels if someone on the main roster is doing the same gimmick as someone in NXT, it makes the main roster guy look like an amateur.

source: lordsofpain.net
Well I have said in the past that Sandow could be an excellent Rock-type face with catchphrases and jokes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
"Word is that Vince McMahon feels if someone on the main roster is doing the same gimmick as someone in NXT, it makes the main roster guy look like an amateur."

Lolwut

·
Banned
5,216 Posts
he reminds me of Rick Rude, I always wondered how Rude would have been like as a face...so I welcome this. But I don't see it long term, but the people are behind him for sure.

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
That would be terrible.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
I don't see how his current gimmick works as a face. It's a perfect heel gimmick. No one likes someone who constantly flaunts their intelligence all the time. What is he gonna do? Tell corny jokes about the heels but use big words? I just don't see it working. He'd be a perfect heel world champion. Easily hated.

·
Registered
25,233 Posts
Sandow as a babyface? I'm trying to picture but can't see it. I mean if it does happen then the character will have to change. Not completely but he will have to adapt. Not sold on it, but Sandow is a hard worker who will put the work in.

Off topic, but if he goes face someone has to go heel, most likely Miz.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
they're low on faces..at least now he gets a new tee shirt.
If they're low on faces, they should try pushing the guys they already have.

Instead of turning perfectly good heels face, try working with the guys who are already faces. There's no reason for Zack Ryder, Justin Gabriel or Tons of Funk to be jobbing, Santino to be stuck carrying Khali, Alex Riley or Yoshi Tatsu not to be properly utilized, or for Evan Bourne or Tyson Kidd to not be back on TV despite being recovered from injury if they need faces so badly.

I guess we should've expected a face turn once Sandow started using "slack jawed mouth breathers" in his promo. It sounds like a classed up version of something The Rock would say.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
You have a great old school "I'm better than the crowd" heel, and you want to turn him face? That makes no sense. I don't by that they told him to drop things because of English. They may've told him to stop the cartwheel because someone could cheer it, but why have a main roster guy drop something because a developmental guy is doing it? Tell the developmental guy to get his own shit. Main roster should be top priority.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
I really can't see it, but Sandow can really make me laugh from some of his WWE.com vids and off air shit. So maybe.

·
I DIDN"T ASK FOR THIS
13,358 Posts
Smackdown is his official face turn..this tells me that Sandow cashes in on Del Rio meaning Cena doesn't win.
Or Sandow cash in on Cena there has been time face cashed in on another face

·
Asuka
96,569 Posts
It BETTER be off the fucking table.

I don't know how this gimmick would work as a babyface, and I don't like how WWE books babyfaces. I don't want them to do to Sandow what they did to Christian, as in, take an insanely charismatic guy and neuter his promos so that he has nothing to talk about. He couldn't POSSIBLY be booked any worse as a babyface than a heel, though, so, IDK, we'll have to see. I don't know how this will work. I kinda wanted to see his title run as a heel.

·
Registered
25,233 Posts
It BETTER be off the fucking table.

I don't know how this gimmick would work as a babyface, and I don't like how WWE books babyfaces. I don't want them to do to Sandow what they did to Christian, as in, take an insanely charismatic guy and neuter his promos so that he has nothing to talk about. He couldn't POSSIBLY be booked any worse as a babyface than a heel, though, so, IDK, we'll have to see. I don't know how this will work. I kinda wanted to see his title run as a heel.
Well, at least as a face he would win some matches. Look at his buddy Rhodes. He did nothing but win after turning face. I still can't picture him as a face. It's impossible w/ his current gimmick, so it will have to be modified. We know he can work the mic. But the question is can he do everything he does to make the crowd hate him and spin it in a way that makes the crowd cheer him. The best example of this is obviously The Rock. That's a route I could see them taking. As in, trying to turn Sandow's current shtick to come off as comedic. Don't know if it would work, just a thought.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can see Cena winning at HIAC - he just has to, otherwise the fans would be completely turned off. ADR has his rematch on Raw and does what he did to Ziggler at Payback to Cena, ADR wins, Sandow cashes. Cena has 14 reigns, etc. Makes sense.

·
-
7,495 Posts
Well, at least as a face he would win some matches. Look at his buddy Rhodes. He did nothing but win after turning face. I still can't picture him as a face. It's impossible w/ his current gimmick, so it will have to be modified. We know he can work the mic. But the question is can he do everything he does to make the crowd hate him and spin it in a way that makes the crowd cheer him. The best example of this is obviously The Rock. That's a route I could see them taking. As in, trying to turn Sandow's current shtick to come off as comedic. Don't know if it would work, just a thought.
Will he get any mic time though? Face midcarders usually don't.

·
I DIDN"T ASK FOR THIS
13,358 Posts
Actual source via Bryan Alvarez F4W Newsletter

It appears from the Smackdown tapings that Damien Sandow is turning babyface. They definitely need babyfaces, and they had to pull the trigger somewhere since most of the big names left for an overseas tour, leaving Cody Rhodes and Goldust as the main event babyfaces at the tapings. We had someone email us who was at the show and the subject line said, "Worst Smackdown ever." He said there was a grown man at the show in Shield attire who was crying because the Shield wasn't at the show. While the card is subject to change, the reality is that Orton vs. Bryan was billed locally as the dark match and neither were there. As it regards Sandow, as noted last week, the idea that he'll cash in and not win the title appears to be off the table, and I'd say that's even more certain now that he's a baby face.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts