Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: PWInsider

There is said to be a lot of excitement within WWE NXT right now about the brand going on tour with live events. WWE reportedly has holds on potential venues for NXT live events to happen as soon as May but plans aren't 100% finalized yet as they aren't sure when they want to launch the touring. We've noted how they could be debuting at the former ECW Arena in Philadelphia this spring.

It will be very interesting to see if NXT going on tour hurts some of the local indie wrestling promotions in those areas, similar to what happened when WWE changed the territories by expanding nationally in the 1980's.

There is no doubt indies will be hurt, If NXT starts touring. Even a promotion like ROH can only draw 1000 fans for their biggest events, if NXT starts taking away those audience as well, it leaves ROH with no revenue source.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,872 Posts
I assume NXT shows are going to be fairly pricey. Nothing beats a $10 indy show. Indies have their own followings that will continue to follow them regardless if NXT swings by the area once a year.

·
C Mac G
6,498 Posts
NXT is definitely a blow to the indies, which is sad, because most of these guys are just going to go up to the main roster and become geeks like Cesaro and Ambrose. It creates a compelling product of NXT for the years that they are down their, but the end goal of all the guys is to become Main Eventers in WWE, and a VERY few amount of these indie guys will ever be given a fair chance on the Main Roster.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't think a single person that goes to ROH cards will stop going just because NXT tours.
You're underestimating NXT's indy appeal.

They have already started running live events on the same day as ROH event...

[/IMG]

WWE NXT is also planning on debuting at the former ECW Arena in Philadelphia on Friday, May 15th and Saturday, May 16th. These dates are interesting because Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling have joint shows that same week on May 12th and May 13th.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,349 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, WWE signs indy guys not because they plan to do anything with them but to make sure they don't make other promotions anymore popular than they are. They sign guys who are big in the indies and make them geeks in WWE but pay them so well that they'll never leave.

That's their goal, instead of improving the current product they simply lock up guys in development, sign big indy guys, job them out and put whomever at the top they want. Never expect any indy favorite to go anywhere. You have guys on the roster who are good looking as Reigns, as bad on the mic yet they're jobbers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, WWE signs indy guys not because they plan to do anything with them but to make sure they don't make other promotions anymore popular than they are. They sign guys who are big in the indies and make them geeks in WWE but pay them so well that they'll never leave.

That's their goal, instead of improving the current product they simply lock up guys in development, sign big indy guys, job them out and put whomever at the top they want. Never expect any indy favorite to go anywhere. You have guys on the roster who are good looking as Reigns, as bad on the mic yet they're jobbers.
You might've had a point in 2004-2005. But in 2015 this post is a straight up joke.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
WWE just need talent.

Those people are not locked into any major contracts.

What's the problem?

Indies are the parking lot of a Home Depot and wrestlers are the undocumented workers....better off getting a job with the rich white guy that needs houses made than some schlub who only needs a ditch dug.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
It's the same formula as the 80's. Cherry puck the top guys, the fans give up on the promotion and it dies. Really stupid for wwe, the majority of their best workers are from the indys.

their 'development ' system is a joke. Who has been developed? They have 80 guys there and even if they tour not everyone can get on a show and not being in front of a audience kills their growth.

Just remember, monopolies are good, just watch how pro wrestling does the next 5-10 years

·
How you doing?
4,958 Posts
Yes, you can.

You take away their stars as soon as they have some momentum and then their audience which is their only source of revenue.... what's left after that?
As soon as one big star leaves, another one arrives, we had Hogan in the past, than when his time was up, we had Cena coming up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i bet this is how triple h pitched vince the idea he had for nxt. vince could care less about other promotions unless he has a chance to put them out of business. hunter signs indy guys and a majority of the promotions go away and ppl subscribe to the network to watch nxt. because of that vince can tell everybody the network has an endless amount of subscribers watching wwe when they're really watching nxt. it's simple. anybody who thinks this has anything to do with making wrestling better is in denial. this is a simple power play by vince and hunter.

·
Registered
13,746 Posts
WWE is becoming an indy company itself with all the small wrestlers they've been signing.
well technically wwe have always been "the" indy company. independently owned by the mcmahon family. even now despite the fact they are public and on the nyse vince still holds all the voting power.

roh are owned by a billion dollar media conglomerate so not exactly indie themselves.

their 'development ' system is a joke. Who has been developed? They have 80 guys there and even if they tour not everyone can get on a show and not being in front of a audience kills their growth.
3 of the guys in the top 4 matches at this years mania (rusev, wyatt and reigns) have all come from developmental within the last few years

everyone knew nxt would be touring eventually

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yeah, WWE is not going to be able to kill off the indy promotions, if they kill off one another is going to pop up. The great thing about independent promotions is that someone with access to money and a bit of business acumen can just put one together. Since they're run independently, there isn't a bunch of corporate shenanigans that have to go into it (like in the WWE)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts