Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Ryan Clark on March 20, 2011

Credit: TV Week

WWE sent a demand to a website that called them a wrestling company to change their wording. TVWeek.com had a headline that ran “‘Drew Carey inducted into pro wrestling Hall of Fame.” According to the site, they received an email from WWE publicist Kellie Baldyga, ordering them to change the headline because “We are no longer a wrestling company but rather a global entertainment company with a movie studio, international licensing deals, publisher of three magazines, consumer good distributor and more.”

The publicist further said “No, we don’t do wrestling events. They’re entertainments. And we don’t call them wrestlers. They’re superstars and divas.”

TVWeek refused the request and removed the article rather than change the headline.

Got this article from Prowrestlingscoops.com

Are they going too far ?

· Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah, this was already posted. WWE is delusional. I mean, sure, nobody can deny that they are a global entertainment company, but they're still a fucking wrestling company. They put on wrestling shows. Stupid.

· Registered
5,515 Posts
It's been the case for a long time

They have not been calling them "wrestlers" instead entertainers and it's not "wrestling" instead it's "sports entertainment".

I can see what they mean by this, by saying they are a wrestling company they are pigeonholing themselves in one area. Being an entertainment business/organisation opens them up to a new audience. Plus they produce movies etc so they are in a sense more than a wrestling business and more of an entertainment company.

· Registered
224 Posts
This bothered me the most the time CM Punk was bantering with Cole (During his stint as a commentator) and he said on air "I'm a wrestler so I think I can analyze this match better then you." ...then Cole replied with "No you're a Superstar."...CM Punk then said, "Alright I guess."

· Registered
23,897 Posts
This is why the WWE leave a sour taste in my mouth, I'm a wrestling fan and don't want it being bastardized for the sake of being more mainstream.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
WWE means.
:gun: Wrestling
Superstars means.
:gun: Wrestlers
Divas means.
:D

· Registered
8,600 Posts
They are still a wrestling company, but they than just a wrestling company now and will always be known as a wrestling company.

· Registered
206 Posts
For those of you who are a bit miffed by this, its old new. For years Vince McMahon and some of his executives have been trying to gain mainstream acceptance. They see 'Wrestling' as a deterrant to this quest. The thing is, WWE has gained meanstream acceptance, very few 'competitive' sports events recieve the level of buyrates, merchandise sales and viewing figures that WWE does. Its a successful product and while I don't object to them using 'Sports Entertainment' to describe their product (after all, theres a lot more glamour and glitz included in WWE than there is in any other Wrestling company) I think its ridiculous to completely distance themselves from Wrestling considering it is the central focus of their organisation.

WWE has its detractors, many Wrestling columnists criticise Vince McMahon's obsession with trying to be succesful in areas other than Wrestling. Although most of these other ventures have been failures, the fact of the matter is that Vince McMahon has the resources and the drive to at least give it a try. I will say that by doing these things nearly every year, WWE is severly compromising their product (and to a degree their budget) and should maybe hold off from extrawrestling ventures for a while.

Like it or not, Vince McMahon is the most successful Wrestling promoter of all time. He's responsible for the current standard in the Wrestling industry and bringing it to the mass media. Some say he can't accept being 'just a lowly wrestling promoter' but the truth is, no one can deny his success. Its just a pity WWE has a feeling they will definitely find success in other ventures.

· Registered
344 Posts
lol, this is ridiculous. I get what they're trying to do, but they do still have "Wrestling" in their name.

· Registered
2,379 Posts
WWE was never a wrestling company, but this definitely disappoints me since I and a lot of people want to watch wrestling and not just the entertainment and what about their biggest event of the year? Why do they call it wrestlemania? stupid company

· Registered
6,148 Posts
I understand what WWE is trying to do, but why are they going apeshit over this? especially when the second W in WWE stands for 'wrestling'? Their superstars are professional wrestlers. It's just stupid to completely alienate wrestling even though I can understand why they would do it considering their product.

· Registered
983 Posts
Shame that they didn't change their name from WWE to WSE. It is old news, but I sometimes laugh at Vince trying so hard to be accepted by the "entertainment business".

They can try to hide the word "wrestling" all they want, but anyone who knows of WWE (who doesn't?) knows that they put on wrestling matches. Sure, they are probably trying to escape from the judgmental views on wrestling shows, but no matter what people are going to always view WWE as "guys in tights who wrestle in a ring".

· Registered
5,307 Posts
As long as there is a ring with a referee, sanctioned matches taking place with a set of rules, and people performing wrestling moves on another in these matches, you are a pro wrestling company, like it or not.

· This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
15,298 Posts
It is old news but it is still ridiculous. I am still waiting for the day when an episode of Raw actually features no wrestling but that might be the day I actually consider not watching.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.